SLAM ROUND 1 - Judges

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by UFO the Phoenix, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

the Judges are:

1) UFO*
    2) Bhitiah*
    3) Sykda
    4) Mac Flow
    5) LadyL257
    6) Madpoet*
    7) Princeofthecity*

*back up Judges* - check in as well

FINAL DATE TO VOTE IS MAY 20

THE POETS WE ARE VOTING ON ARE:

1) RC - "In Check"
    2) Philly 215 - "SLEEP WALKING"
    3) TrueEmcee - "To lose a dream"
    4) Coined - "NOTHING"
    5) Poet X - "Limited resources yield the end of man"
    6) D Ray - "Poem TBA"
    7) K. Loye *biter kicked out of SLAM*

Use Score Cards to rate the poems....1 being the lowest...and 10 being the highest

the poet with the highest score wins round 1

Good luck
    test
  2. Bhitiah

Bhitiah Powerful Scriptures

Ooooohhhhhhh.....

Wait, What? lol
    test
  3. UFO the Phoenix

^just go read the poems in the other SLAM thread to come back here and vote on each giving them a score between 1-10...the poet with the Highest score when the smoke clears wins

come on B
    test
  4. princeofdacity

princeofdacity Heir To The Throne

Philly215- 7
    Coined- 8
    Poet X- 8
    True Emcee- 7.5
    -RC- 10

Nice shit ya'll. i read each of them 3 times, and gave them what i think they deserved. ya'll got talent
    test
  5. Madpoet

Madpoet why is this so short....

Philly215-6
    Coined-3 (Some of your lines made me cringe)
    Poet X- 7.5
    True Emcee-7

I think the one thing I can say about these pieces is not one of them was innovative or creative enough to grab me by the throat. Most of the time poet's can weave a wonderous tale.and while I may seem the Simon Cowell of the judges,I was gonna be alot meaner in some spots. I think had Poet x rhymed a bit more and didnt stretch his lines so far I would have enjoyed it more and would have earned cred ..
    test
  6. -RC-

-RC- Wordsman

nice to see the judges a lot more active this time around, props to you guys.

just posted my poem, sorry didn't have time to post it all day so I had to post it around midnight tonight.
    test
  7. UFO the Phoenix

^wooooord up.....last minute but its cool

My score on the poems (a lil dissappointed in Round 1 overall....feel like you guys didnt bring your BEST to the table knowing what you've written in the past.....plus the whole biting thing with K loye.....so hopefully Round 2 and 3 will be more intense)

RC - "In Check" - 7.5

Like the concept with the chess board set up and explaining yo relationship...different style from you...nice flows.....it was interesting....seen you come better though....

Philly 215 - "SLEEP WALKING" - 7.7

I like the SLAM influence in your poem....read sick outloud....I dunno I liked it more then these other poems but still I think you could do alot better as well.....but this was the most memorable piece out of the bunch....to me at least...every judge has their own opinion

TrueEmcee - "To lose a dream" - 7.5

not sure why you had me post it?....but it was a pain working with all those colors and fonts....lol....anyway cool poem....I like the end the best....and the word-play was clever....also it was rich with originality

Coined - "NOTHING" - 6

really big dissappointment here....I was expecting you to flip the script and be the big upset out of this Round but this poem was just average....and the whole play on nothing really came out as nothing....ya know?

Poet X - "Limited resources yield the end of man" - 7

This was aight.....I dont care much for the tone of the piece but the concept was original.....it was interesting and you did your thing

D Ray - "Poem TBA....you have 2 hours.....then I'm marking you as a no show"

K. Loye (biter) - 0 for bad form
    test
  8. Bhitiah

Coined -

I really liked this poem, I dont see how madpoet felt like it was worthy of just a three, I felt like the rhythm was there, the rhyme was on point, It was a great poem carrying a great message...I feel like this poem Is worthy of a 7.5 ....

True Emcee-

I think this was ended well, There were a couple of lines in here that I really took too and then some other lines my eyes just seemed to skim over, I had to read it a few times to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and when I realized I wasnt, I gave you a 7.

Philly 215-

Whooooooo.....This was an "oh shit" poem. I really enjoyed the rhyme, and I enjoyed the way it was put together and the way you put it down, and I think writing it in spoken word form helped this poem quite a bit, I have no choice but to give you a straight8 tho, there were sometimes when my head was left at the end of your lines and wanting more but not finding it in the next line, However this was well written and youve got a solid 8 here.

Poetic X -

Honest to god truth??????? I didn't like this. I felt like it was a poor pick for a poetry slam, It's a good poem, It truly is ...It just needs to be shaped up a bit, It was a creative way to get your point across but your point wasn't really coming across at least inside of my head. But we dont have limited resources because people are bringing too many children in this world, we have limited resources in this world because people are greedy. I didn't agree with the poem which maybe on some level made me bias, I admit my bias too ....However, It wasn't just the content of the poem that struck me as poor, It was poorly written as well ....I feel your frustration throughout the poem and it carries a good message, and holds good morals ...But I cant really explain truthfully what I didn't like about it, I just feel like ....the rhyme was a bit off in some places, and maybe it was intentional, but if it was, then your intentions got you a 5....

RC

Aint chess a bitch of a game? LOL ....Ok, In parts the rhyme was predictable this isnt always a problem but I found the lines with the predictable rhyme, like the had/glad/sad lines had me kind of taken a back like what the fuck? There should be so much more depth to that like the rest of your poem. HOWEVER, I loved the concept and I loved the rhyme for the most part, Your a very talented individual and your poem made me stop and think at least 4 or 5 times...This was a very well put together and creative poem and I give it a 7.5 ...
    test
  9. eM-T

eM-T Because We Are

my vote for philly 215 (despite not getting a vote)

got to go with madpoet (fuck I hate agreeing with other people) on coined's poem....
    just my 2 cents.

good job everyone.
    test
  10. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

I bet Bhitiah passed out after her replies.
    test
  11. LDogg The King

LDogg The King The High Life

let me know when round 2 starts
    test
  12. Philly_215

Philly_215 The Silent Poet

well i had fun

good luck all and congrates to the winner
    test
  13. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

1) RC - "In Check" - 7.5
    2) Philly 215 - "SLEEP WALKING" - 7.5
    3) TrueEmcee - "To lose a dream" 8.5
    4) Coined - "NOTHING" - 8.0
    5) Poet X - "Limited resources yield the end of man" - 6.5
    6) D Ray - "Poem TBA"

good stuff y'all...no time to really break em down, but I basically enjoyed all of the pieces
    test
  14. Poet x

Poet x a ploy at being human...

well guys i guess thats how the cookie crumbles... congrats to the winner. thanx all for the criticism i hope you all dont think that ima bad poet cuz of the one i dropped. but if so then i guess popular opinion cant be wrong
    test
  15. Seqwel

Seqwel New Member

I had alot of fun with this, I don't really feel like any of us brought our best but it was still alot of fun considering i didnt even know what a poetry slam was when I first signed up lol.

I'd def be willing to do this again sometime.
    Thanks for letting me be a part of it, congrats to the winner and I will see you all in the realm.
    test
  16. Philly_215

Philly_215 The Silent Poet

so who did win ?
    test
  17. Bhitiah

Nobody won yet, a couple of the judges havent even voted, and i think they have until friday to vote
    test
  18. TrueEmcee

TrueEmcee Run.

prinmce - RC.. mad - POET... UFO - philly... brit - Philly... mac flo - me...

1 for RC
    1 for POET
    1 for Me(Trueemcee)
    2 for Philly

5 votes on my count
    test
  19. UFO the Phoenix

^interesting results

WINNER IS "TRUEMCEE"

1) TrueEmcee - "To lose a dream" - 37.5

2) Philly 215 - "SLEEP WALKING" –-36.2

3) Poet X - "Limited resources yield the end of man" – 33.5

4) Coined - "NOTHING" – 32.5

5) RC - "In Check" - 32.5 (Madpoet never came back to vote...sorry it pays to show up early....cant control my judges)

Nice round ya'll....congrats to Trueemcee and Philly and special shoutout to RC....it was really up in the air between you guys

Thanks to my judges WHO ACTUALLY showed up

Aight lets get ready for Round 2
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.