skrybe...

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by trifle, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trifle

trifle New Member

Alright, I have plenty of ideas but I'm going to need to know a few things from you...

what type of vehicle do you have?
    have much do you, or will you, have to spend?
    how much room do you have for the subwoofer setup and/or how much are you willing to give up?
    can you hook wires together, know a tad bit about electronics/electricity, and are able to use basic tools?

thanks man...get back at me..
    test
  2. Skrybe

Skrybe ConnectedthruaForeignExch

I was mentioning in another post that I'm deciding between a Grand Cherokee (2000 & up) and a Stratus R/T (02 & up). I'm leaning toward the Cherokee, though, for extra room & ability to put a nice system in it. I should have somewhere around 1-2 g's left over after I buy (maybe more, depending on how long I get shipped out for), but that sure as hell doesn't mean I wanna spend it ALL. Yet still, preparation is the key, which is why I'm here. So let's say we're working with an 01 Grand Cherokee. I hate riding other people, but I still want the backseats just in case, and something resembling trunk space left over (but that's expendable). And as far as wiring, to be flat out honest I don't know shit except how to ground a wire, but if I'm provided with clear-cut instructions and necessary tools, it's a walk in the park for me.
    test
  3. Donny Darko

Donny Darko New Member

loL my boy got a fucking 1985 bronco and hes throwing 18's in there loL!!!
    test
  4. Skrybe

That's hot, but I'm going for a specific type of sound for my next vehicle.
    test
  5. trifle

trifle New Member

so about how much, 700 or so for the sub(s) and amp?
    test
  6. Skrybe

Somewhere around there . . . . I'm tryin to make it the last system I get for a few years, so it's gotta sound nice . . . and nice costs dough, so . . . LOL That's a yes.
    test
  7. trifle

trifle New Member

honestly i'd try to find a used JL W7....or even a new one....if i were you i'd go with the 10" it's a lil monster...the 12 isn't too impressive, and the 13 is a freaking beast but you're going to run into impedance problems (unless you use a 2-channel that you can bridge @ 3 ohms) because it's a dual 1.5 ohm coil sub...meaning you end up with a very low resistance at .75 ohms or a "higher" one at 3 ohms....basically meaning that in the former, your amp will probably not support a .75 ohm load and you will burn it up or in the latter, you won't get the power you need out of most amps...

you could also go with a w6v2...

other subs i'd like to mention would be the Elemental Designs A series...or a duo of O series subs... www.edesignaudio.com

honorable mention would be the image dynamics idqv.2s....or even a single IDMAX for that matter... www.sounddomain.com www.infinitecaraudio.com
    test
  8. Skrybe

Word, IDMAX's were what I was looking at before I even started planning for the new system. I've heard a lot of good things about them being top-notch quality for hearing the true fullness of drums. So if I were to go with an IDMAX, what amps would you suggest I pick through? (moneywise, pushing it, but not trying to break the bank)
    test
  9. trifle

trifle New Member

test
  10. Skrybe

So speaker-wise . . . what should I look into to put the whole orchestra into my car?
    test
  11. trifle

trifle New Member

you're going to want a killer front component set....rear speakers won't matter once you have a good front stage....like at a concert, you don't hear (or shouldn't/shouldn't want to) hear the music from behind you....it's in front of you...so that's where you want it in your car as well.... we'll get into the budget and setup of that in a bit... i have things to do tonight
    test
  12. Skrybe

No problem. I have another side question, but it can wait til we get into the speaker setup.
    test
  13. Skrybe

uuuuup . . ..
    test
  14. trifle

trifle New Member

my bad man... been busy with the holiday n shit... for your subwoofer... i'm still leaning towards the w7...but seeing as you could get the IDMAX or Elemental Designs A cheaper that would help, an Adire Brahma would also be a good one to look at...i wish that there was a way that you could hear these all....

i'm going to try to narrow it down to one woofer by way of reasoning...

w7 - let's drop that because of possible warranty issues and price issues
    idmax - ID really hasn't been on the ball in the past couple of years, hell they still haven't released products that were supposed to be out 2 years ago...had a bad batch of products in the D2 idmax's a year or so ago, let's drop them..
    brahma - good woofer, good support from adire, some people don't like it's tonality, let's drop it
    elemental a - let's go with this one...3 year transferrable warranty, good prices, pretty neutral sound that no one's really complained about (including myself of course), a sub with understated, yet somewhat classy looks...

www.edesignaudio.com
    test
  15. Skrybe

jeahhhh . . . I saw the words I was looking for . . . "incredible SQ performance" and "less distortion and cleaner reproduction." :) Should I still stick with the tantrum amp for this?

Also . . . about that killer front stage . . . got any ideas/suggestions?
    test
  16. trifle

trifle New Member

the tantrum amp is a fucking beast, very nice amp....

for the front stage i say we skip getting a pre-made component set, do a DIY kit... i'll do some research on current mids and tweets and get back to you on that one
    test
  17. Skrybe

Thanks a bunch . . . I'll be waiting!!
    test
  18. trifle

trifle New Member

no doubt, i'm talkin with some home audio guys about some mids n tweets trying to get a better feel, now that a bunch of new stuff is out since i've done DIY comps, you from VA man?
    test
  19. trifle

trifle New Member

skrybe man....i been thinkin bout this...how comfortable are you doin modifications to your vehicle? you feel like you're handy enough to make some shit and make some cuts and whatnot? i been thinking maybe a DIY component setup ain't the best unless you really have time to tweak the sound and whatnot....
    test
  20. Skrybe

Hmmm . . . best I can tell you is that I can mos def follow a clear cut set of directions to a t . . . I have no problem with it if the directions are clear as a bell. As far as time constraints are concerned . . . ehhh . . . I'm a tweak-it-once-tweak-it-twice-I'm-done kinda guy, but in the quest for a sound system that I would consider "perfect", I'd be willing to push it . . . Only problem is, I can't even draw a straight LINE, let alone make a straight cut with SCISSORS, so messing with my car? Geez . . . I'm not sure if I'm the man for the job, really. Hopefully that answers your question - I would definitely love to try it, and I'd definitely get into the job, but I'm afraid I might fuck it up, to be honest.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.