Sigmund Freud (1929) Civilization and Its Discontents

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Shit with corn in it IRM'S BITCH, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok I tried to break this down into one small bitesize read (will take you less than a minute) if u are interested

'Civilisation' describes the whole sum of the achievements and the regulations which distinguish our lives from those of our animal ancestors.

use of tools, gaining control over fire (Comte said this too) and the construction of dwellings.

Motor power places gigantic forces at mans disposal, thanks to ships and aircraft neither water nor air can hinder his movements.

Today he has come close to his ideal, he has almost becomea god himself

We soon observe (pots of flowers etc) these useless things which we expect civilisation to value is beauty.

we expect to see signs of cleanliness and order, Dirtiness of any kind seems to us imcompatable with civilization. We extend our demand of cleaniliness to the human body too. We set up soap as the yardstick of civilisation.

But whereas cleanliness is not to be expected in nature, order on the contrary, has been imitated from her.

Order? On the contrary, human beings exhibit an inborn tendency to carelessness, ireegularity and unreliability in their work.

mark of Civilisation, regulating social relationships. Sacrafice of of their instincts,renunciation of instinct(suppression repression of powerful instincts this 'cultural frustration' dominates the large field of social relationships between human beings.

Human life in common is only made possible when a majority comes together which is stronger than any seperate individual.

This replacement of power of the individual by the power of by the power of the individual constitutes the decisive step of civilisation.

The first requisite of civilisation, therfore is that of justice, the assurance that once a law is made it will not be broken in favour of the individual.This implies nothing as to the ethical value value of such a law.
    test
  2. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

"Today he has come close to his ideal, he has almost becomea god himself

We soon observe (pots of flowers etc) these useless things which we expect civilisation to value is beauty.

we expect to see signs of cleanliness and order, Dirtiness of any kind seems to us imcompatable with civilization. We extend our demand of cleaniliness to the human body too. We set up soap as the yardstick of civilisation.

But whereas cleanliness is not to be expected in nature, order on the contrary, has been imitated from her.

Order? On the contrary, human beings exhibit an inborn tendency to carelessness, ireegularity and unreliability in their work.

mark of Civilisation, regulating social relationships. Sacrafice of of their instincts,renunciation of instinct(suppression repression of powerful instincts this 'cultural frustration' dominates the large field of social relationships between human beings.

Human life in common is only made possible when a majority comes together which is stronger than any seperate individual."

loved this part.

Sigmund Freud was a smart man. Good read.
    test
  3. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

I read this in my Social Theory class during my very first semester of grad school...

...honestly, I hardly remember any of it. [funny]
    test
  4. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

freud is talking about social influence, social structure, and the way the social world mediates "instinct"/"biology"/"genetics"/etc and menaz says he's on board?

never thought I'd see you agreeing with such a stance...
    test
  5. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

...stop baiting Riz.

We all know only Riz knows about sociologists and philosophers etc. Everyone else is just pretending.
    test
  6. PassTheMic

PassTheMic New Member

Man that is a good read, a real insightful book
    test
  7. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Instead of thowing the odd little comment out, why don't you actually debate me on the subject of psychology? I double dare you, sparky.

See, my problem isn't that you're obviously trying to 'bait' me; it's that you're doing such a bad job of it. I haven't been in a serious 'beef' with someone for aaaages. I thought you'd bring the goods and be a worthy opponent. Clearly I was mistaken, and stupidly thought you was better at this shit than you actually are.

lmao @ your BBGesque misunderstandings.
    test
  8. oi, why you bringing me into this?

anything which is bbgesque isn't misunderstood, ask around.

you misunderstand me though, for whatever reason
    test
  9. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I'm never sure what to make of you. That reply^, for example, I like. Other times, you're so clueless I'm not sure if it's all just an act.

Malo disappoints me though. He gasses himself up so much, but it's just hype. He talks about the damage he's done in the past and I always assumed I just missed it cuz I never used to post in the Alley. He's now proven it was all a load of bullshit. I'd love for him to actually try and take me on, and he can see if I'm just building myself up.
    test
  10. Look im Gangsta

I'm not sure how to reply, because I've really come to an abrupt conclusion it's me that's invested too much into you. You see, I thought you were baiting me, but now I'm not so sure. You're not one to make such an obvious ironic statement, so I'm now believing you're scared of me.

The argument isn't my 'baiting' because we both know I don't bait people. We both know my light hearted remarks are nothing more sinister than a harmless quip. We both also know I've clearly stepped on your toes over the 'weak minded' and the fallacy of suicide.

Which brings us to the real argument. Why are you holding back? I don't believe any longer that you don't consider me worthy, because your presence remains key on certain posts I make. You clearly fancy a bit of Malo and Riz, and I don't think you're trying to bait me, any longer.

I think it's become a case of insecurity because standing up for what you believe in isn't beef and you continue to argue with other people over more trivial things and your personal belief.
    test
  11. Look im Gangsta

Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe you're not scared. Maybe you think if you keep baiting me, I'll bite. I guess that would make more sense, seeing the insults pick up momentum the longer I refuse to bitch with you.

I've already stepped on your toes and you're still yet to respond. I wouldn't even be making the light hearted remarks if your irrefutable presence and elitist crap was absent from my threads and replies.

It's your move Riz. It has been from the start.
    test
  12. Look im Gangsta

edit:

lol, I just saw the ''I wasn't here'' excuse. Yes you were, you've just never been on the other side.

The bottom line is, I said some serious shit about certain elemts of pyschology and you wont reply to it. Even though the comment in Double's thread wasn't about you, you still couldn't argue your point. Instead, talking about Nislanif. I think the best you did do, was tell me to argue about fucking theory that was irrelivant to my point.

Now all your picking up on my obviously light hearted remarks as if I'm scared to argue? It's your toes that got trod on, you fucking make the rebuttle.

I'm done with the bitching, because your honestly boring. It's not you. I only replied because I once thought that much of you. Until your ready to make a serious objection to one of my OPINIONS, bye mate.
    test
  13. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I just realised how fitting it is that we're doing this under the heading "Civilization and its Discontents" [funny]

The weak minded comment? Possibly. The suicide argument? Not even close.

And then...

Make your mind up.

And post the proof that I'm following you around. I had no way of knowing you posted in this thread, and you made a comment about me.

What is it that I haven't responded to?

lol, an excuse for what? I spent my first few years on RM exclusively in HHC and Introspectrum, so it's either a case of I missed it, or you're not nearly as good as you claim.

The double ML thread? I misinterpreted that at first but when you said the comment wasn't about me I dropped it.

But it comes down to this. You're the one that name drops me with your "light hearted" comments, you're the one that talks sideways in random threads about me... and now you're trying to turn it around and pretend it was me starting something.

I've already told you what my intentions are: "I haven't been in a serious 'beef' with someone for aaaages and I thought you'd bring the goods." That's all it is. You haven't stood on my toes because there's one point that you can't accept: anything you can say bad about psychology I have thought myself, and will probabaly agree with you on half of it. I know ALL the problems with psychology, nigga. I done argued them to people I know taking the same course.

So now that it's established it's not because you've got a problem with what I'm studying, maybe it's just a case of genuinely disliking each other and this just brought it out?
    test
  14. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

You know what, let's just drop it. I think we've both been misinterpreting each other, and I haven't got time in the next couple of week sto be doing the old back and forth for 4 pages.

Maybe another time.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.