should zimmerman get the death penalty

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

don't think he's mexican tbh. pretty sure he's a combo, and not mexican/hispanic or whatever. thought i read that somewhere.
    test
  2. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

^ nm, huffpost says he is hispanic...
    test
  3. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

zimmerman is mixed. half white half mexican.

(SUMMARY OF WHAT HAPPENED) it is clear what happened before the arrest. trayvon martin was walking back from the 7 11 with a skittles bag, iced tea, and talking on the phone, wearing his hoodie bcuz it was raining. zimmerman sees him, thinks he is a criminal, calls police. he sees trayvon start to run (clearly says this on the tape) and chases him despite being ordered not to by the dispatcher. he wants to catch who he thinks is a neighborhood thief in the process of stealing(he is only walking back from the store) and chases with his gun to make sure he doesn't get away. what happens after this is unknown at the moment, but it ends with trayvon shot in the chest. dying right there.

even if trayvon threw the first punch, you cannot respond by using a gun. thats called escalating.

zimmerman started it and ended it. thats not manslaughter or negligent. thats murder in the 2nd degree (non-premeditated
    test
  4. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

in Florida, you can respond with a gun to fists, if the fists are attached to what appears to be an adult male, nearly half a foot taller, and under the impression that he's a dangerous criminal, who is (supposedly) bashing your head into the ground. I can see how Zimmerman at that point, if it was at that point, would be in fear of his life. he thought he was dealing with a criminal...
    what's going to make or break the case is whether they can pro e trayvon attacked him after Zimmerman got out of his car to "check what street he's on" which I don't believe, or if Zimmerman ran up and confronted trayvon, which I do believe, and that would put Zimmerman in the wrong, and it not being murder in any degree but neglegent homicide, which is what he should've been charged with, and would've been found guilty of, but now, he's going to get off free
    test
  5. exodus 31315

exodus 31315 Kanaan

i'll wait till the trial's over. i mean if i'm legally carrying a pistol and get in to a fight, whether i started it or not, and am losing bad enough to feel like i could be seriously injured or killed, i'd probably use it. but if my opponent appears to be trying to grab my weapon, i'm definitely going to use it.

so i guess the law would have to decide if i'm a killer for initiating the fight, if that's proven to be the case. or if i really didn't feel like my life was in grave danger and just murdered the man anyway. which is extremely subjective so it's hard to say

but in the end, it's still a legal system, not justice so sometimes killers walk. but probably worse than that, sometimes innocent men are incarcerated or executed
    test
  6. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

breathlesss for mutual combat you can introduce a gun?? Are you sure its not just for self defense???even though this is clearly not self defense
    test
  7. breathlesss

if mutual combat turns to fearing for you life, then, yes.... but. who's to say you fear for your life aside from yourself?
    test
  8. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

that makes no sense to me. Both go to jail for mutual fist fighting. But its ok to shoot them if ur gettin ur ass kicked that bad...I'm at work atm can you post a reference for that law in fl.
    test
  9. breathlesss

no reference, but it would fall under stand your ground...
    mutual combat can become a fight for your life...
    just my opinion... trayvon was probly standing his ground too
    test
  10. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

i think your mistaken. anytime a mutual fight ensues both are arrested. if a man is attacked then he can respond with equal force. no weapons can be introduced in any situation unless u are attacked with a weapon or in your home

i offer as a reference Florida Statute 776.013 states that you can defend yourself with deadly force only if someone is intruding your home with a felony, in any other case you can defend yourself with "non deadly force" as long as a firearm or other deadly weapon is NOT introduced.

getting your ass kicked for chasing someone is not a forcible felony which required the single gunshot in the chest which left him dead
    test
  11. breathlesss

what if, just hypothetical, it is a metual fight fight where a legal gun carrier has his gun, not drawn, and the other Guy sees and grabs for it, probably because the other instantly feared for his life when he saw pistol in dude's waistband/holster?
    anyone carrying a gun legally is supposed to call time out before the fight and drop his gun, then ensue fisticuffs?
    this case isn't an mma fight
    test
  12. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

I see what you mean. Thats where shit becomes confusing. In that case I really dont know...
    test
  13. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

statute 776.013 applies specifically to home invasions, but the entire chapter 776 deals with the lawful use of force:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2011->Chapter 776 : Online Sunshine

the very first statute addresses the lawful use of force (including lethal force) in a setting other than one's home (any space where one is permitted to be legally):

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

notice the last line indicates that 776.013 is not the only conditions in which lethal force may be used, but rather an extension of the conditions laid out in statue 776.012

however there is an argument to be made that zimmerman's actions aren't protected by law if he initiated the confrontation, so far as i understand the meaning of these statutes (i am admittedly uneducated in matters of law):

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    test
  14. exodus 31315

exodus 31315 Kanaan

to my limited knowledge this indicates that even if zimmerman initiated the assault, or provoked trayvon to assault him, he is still justified in using deadly force if the conditions are met as described in the quote

and that's worse case, as in if zimmerman assaulted trayvon first he can still be legally justified in using deadly force. if he actually did cease following as some report it and trayvon then confronted zimmerman as he tried reentering his vehicle, well it don't really matter anyway he still can be legally justified. but it's a subjective thing and i don't know how the prosecution can dispute that zimmerman did not feel he was facing imminent death or great bodily harm. the defense don't need to prove he did feel this threat, only present the theory that he did, the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he didn't. too hard, i see him walking
    test
  15. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

assault is a misdemeanor

I think its clear that zimmerman initiated and he himself said that trayvon ran away. He was shot in someones backyard apartment I believe
    test
  16. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

yea, if he tried to flee and trayvon followed him then he could meet those conditions. i haven't been following the case really so i'm not sure what the scenario was.

either way it's up in the air imo. it seems unlikely to me that the trial will be completely fair/impartial and based strictly the the weight of evidence.
    test
  17. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

^^^youtube it. they have zimmermans 911 phone call on there

the way the media took advantage of this, its impossible to come out with a so called "fair decision".
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.