Should the top battlers be paid ?

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by Loe Pesci, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. translucense

translucense New Member

IMO, KOTD and battle rap as a whole is an incomplete product. The only reason why battles get so many views is because it's free. It isn't sustainable. What KOTD should mainly offer is NOT money, it should be opportunity. If you want money, join a tournament. Battle rapping is not a job. It's a promotion tool.

With that being said, KOTD cannot maximize its gross until it offers something substantial to its participants. You have leagues all across Canada, get rappers to tour AND/OR sell their merch across the country. Allow them to perform at some point during an event. The way to motivate RAPPERS or those who make music is to introduce them to a demographic that they would not have been able to reach otherwise. Eventually you will have musicians who have something to promote who will want to join KOTD. Your brand now has inherent value, that's how you profit. Charge newcomers for the exposure.

Getting paid should not ONLY be about the way you perceive your skills. The decision should be based on who captures new views and can maintain them. Are there battlers similar to you that these new viewers can watch? Will these new viewers attend an event? Business/Marketing 101.
    test
  2. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

this also!

this is one way it would work
    test
  3. DirtBagDan

DirtBagDan Well-Known Member

You are right in some places... wrong in others... since views translate to actual $ for the owners/proprietors of the youtube/web page its only right that they pay for the talent that generates those views for their individual performances.
    test
  4. humdrummer

humdrummer New Member

so... battle rappers are capitalist?
    test
  5. haatley

haatley Well-Known Member

you should get paid to win battles.
    thats it.
    test
  6. DirtBagDan

What I get paid for a battle depends upon:
    1. views for said battle
    2. door draw at the event
    3. travel expenses (flight/hotel)

Where I make money:
    1. Merch at actual event
    2. online sales based on ad placement

I have never publicly stated how much I've been paid for a battle and I won't start now... I will however say I get between $500 and a rack for a 30-45 min set... that price is based directly on draw and that draw is based directly on battling.
    test
  7. Soul Khansenses

Soul Khansenses Soul Khansenses

I'm not an 'ist.'
    test
  8. humdrummer

humdrummer New Member

*capitales
    test
  9. translucense

translucense New Member

This is purely based on what I've gathered from other forum members, YT views don't generate that much money. The majority of revenue for an event comes from the door and merch sold. It is also VERY difficult to determine who draws what at the door.
    I do believe that certain battlers should be paid for travel expenses though. You already devote time to develop the league as it stands, but what would you rather have? $500 to a stack or the opportunity to sell your merch at events that you aren't even attending? A stack or a chance to tour 3 cities and sell your merch during the tour? If you're getting paid cash AND opportunities already, then, by all means, continue. I'm not trying to knock your hustle. But other forms of compensation that are more rewarding to both parties do exist and should be considered before exhausting the piggy bank. That should be the last resort for leagues.
    test
  10. Deffinition

Deffinition New Member

i should be paid for being a great friend :)
    test
  11. DirtBagDan

Fair enough... I have found a unique formula via battle rap to be able to live comfortably as a musician... It definitely only works if you got that hustle in you... I AM HUSTLE PERSONIFIED
    test
  12. Loe Pesci

Loe Pesci New Member

Dan does it right.
    I pretty much do the same thing.

Promo and merch at events plus online.

Asides that if your one of the best people doing this you will not do it forever just for the fun of doing it.
    (soul khan)
    Making music is time consuming and you cant really focus on a project when you have battles to write, if I can get paid to battle I will consider doing it much more.
    Thats just me being honest.
    I dont have all the interest in battling every month, Id much rather make music.

sue me, say what you will
    you all watch my battles and are entertained as fuck so i dont see what the fuss is
    test
  13. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

If you PM me Osa's number sure, but I don't have a lawyer at the moment.

To answer the title: Preferably yes, logicaly and logisticaly no.
    test
  14. Loe Pesci

Loe Pesci New Member

Im not saying pay all top tier battlers.
    just me
    test
  15. Mrjdm998

Mrjdm998 New Member

How about this:

Organik gives you 5K per battle
    And you let KOTDs staff kids have their birthday partys at Cash and Curry
    test
  16. translucense

translucense New Member

There probably is a formula to it but I'd imagine the trick is balance. You don't need to battle at every event, you just need to battle enough to maintain your presence and stay relevant. For example, Kid Twist battles once a year, and people still check for his battles. The difference is, you have music to promote and he doesn't. Fans of your music will continue to buy your music, but it is also your job to expand your fanbase.

Cliffs: you aren't allowed to stop battling. Ever.
    test
  17. Soul Khansenses

Soul Khansenses Soul Khansenses

Agreed
    test
  18. Loe Pesci

Loe Pesci New Member

deal
    but id never ask for that much
    thats ridiculousness
    test
  19. mapleleaf

mapleleaf bumpin onyx in the jag

smack/url does not pay like people think.
    test
  20. Loe Pesci

Loe Pesci New Member

sources?
    proof?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.