Should steroids be legalized?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Oct 7, 2007.

?

Should steroids be legal?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

is there an echo in here?
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

i think sports should be able to govern themselves in terms of what is and isnt allowed to be used, the olympics obviously would have to remain steroid free because not every nation has steroids legalized.

as far as for general public why not? if someone wants something bad enough, legal or not theyre going to get it anyway. just because something is illegal doesnt make it disappear. so legalization and education is a plausible idea. someone may want to double check this for validity (because i dont care) but i believe i recall hearing that in sweden or the netherlands or idk one of those places that alcohol has no age restriction and the people there really dont abuse it because A) its available, taking away the rebellion factor. and B) theyre educated about its abuse. now look at the US, we have the highest restriction on alcohol and perhaps the highest rate of abuse as well...coincidence? hardly.

like i said before (since were doing the repeat thing) people use steroids regardless of them being legal or not. if theyre legalized i doubt the usage rate would increase dramatically and at least people would be educated and able to get a product which has met the US inspection standards.
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

in the netherlands its 18, but in some other countries in europe (maybe france?) i think theres no legal drinking age.

but the netherlands is a good example, with marijuana. its not abused there as it is here. its like the forbidden fruit. however i dont believe the same goes for steroids as its not a drug in the sense that it alters consciousness. if people want them right now they dont have to look far to get them, i think its good the way it is and i wont repeat anything i said before. i basically said all i need to say
    test
  4. Ben Official

these comments made me cringe.
    test
  5. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

There is always going to be people who cheat the system. Your saying since some people cheat, it should be alright for everyone? Some people in class cheat on tests. How about making cheating legal, and let everyone take open note tests????? Why not give people the answer key when they are taking the test? The scores will be a lot higher that way, right?!!?! Everyone seems like their winning but the problem is you will be stupid if you dont study for tests, and you will be unhealty if you take steroids.

and people dont watch sports to see records broken. wtf. People wanna see close competitive games, and their favorite teams win.

i think arguing for steriods is the pussy-iest shit i have ever heard. You are basically telling everyone that you can not work hard enough to get big and you need help.
    test
  6. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Like Live said, steroids can be legal but still not be allowed in sports. Problem solved.

Steroid gains are only kept if the person continues to workout and stay in shape. When they don't, they lose it all. It's not as if they magically inflate you forever. Steroids are a stepping stone, some take it, some don't. Bottom line, I should be able to make that decision for myself, not the government.
    test
  7. Ben Official

lol are you serious?

no. problem not solved. think about that seriously for a minute.
    test
  8. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

yaa that is not an option....
    test
  9. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Why not? You're telling me sports leagues which gross millions upon millions of dollars can't dope test their athletes every week? Give me a fucking break.

Legalize steroids, keep them out of sports and test athletes weekly. Fine them and/or ban them from the sport if they test positive.
    test
  10. Ben Official

test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

As enlightening and enthralling as your last few vague posts are, you could always elaborate beyond "wow".
    test
  12. LiveFromThe781

ok heres a scenario i thought of today because i was noticing how one of the PT's at my gym is in pretty good shape yet im assuming he has a hectic work schedule. (i dont think he uses but it just provoked some thought about how to lift and make gains whilst pressed for time)

alright, so lets assume youre someone who's really pressed for time, meals, etc. you have a lot of bills, or other needs which require you to work a lot and you really like lifting yet dont have much time to spare for the demands of the bodybulding lifestyle (not saying you want to be a bodybuilder but you still have to train and eat like one). So what do you do? Well option A is you can quit training and become an out of shape mess. option B is you can sacrifice your career for the gym...but thats a little too selfish and you dont want your family or yourself to live in poverty just so you can hit the gym. Then there's option C you still cant eat as much and you still cant lift as much but you have a way to compensate: steroids. so now with the help of steroids you can still manage to lift at least a couple times a week and still make gains while trying to get out of your hectic scheduling/financial crisis.
    test
  13. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

there are some obvious problems if you want to legalize steriods, but ban them in sports.

You will not only have to ban steroids only in professional sports, but also in college and high school sports which is not happening. There is no way a high school team can afford a weekly check-up when most schools cant even afford good supplies. And the check ups would have to be weekly because any player could start using them as soon as they want, if they were legal.

So athletes will be able to use steroids up until they become professional. Then they will have to get off them when they relied on them so much that they will be a completly different player.

Not to mention all the side effects steroids have on people (especially young)

* stunted growth in teens (by causing bones to mature too fast and stop growing at an early age)
    * liver tumors
    * abnormal enlargement of the heart muscles
    * violent, aggressive behavior and mood swings
    * blood lipid abnormalities that contribute to heart disease
    * acne (or a worsening of acne)
    * increased breast growth in males, especially teens
    * irreversible stretch marks
    * a heightened tendency for hair loss and male-pattern baldness
    * muscle aches

Young kids will have to live with that shit ^, but it will be all good for them if they get big. Not to mention drugs/ alcohol and all the fast food everyone eats. Yaa add steroids to the list. We will have people dieing at age 60.
    test
  14. Ben Official

Exactly what I'm saying. Its pretty obvious stuff. Steve's probably going to say to not make them legal for people under the age of, say, 22 or something when people usually stop growing. But that doesn't matter. It will still make it way easier for teens and people that should not be using them to obtain them. Its like cigarettes. Illegal to buy if you under 18, but tons and tons of kids start when they are 14-15 years old. Theres just no way I can see steroids being legal and it not having enormous effects on society.
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

lol kids in highschool use steroids anyway, just like 15 year olds smoke cigarettes.

testing everyone on a weekly basis as you mentioned is not a realistic idea. so instead they could either do testing at random with much stricter penalties such as expelsion from the school, fines, jail etc. or they could do it on the basis of suspiscion but that could lead to a witch hunt and cause more bad than good so the first scenario seems more plausible.

however its not just as easy as scaring kids away from it which is why i keep stressing the education factor. the more someone knows and understands something, especially if its illegal the less likely they are to take it or atleast abuse it. if the kids are educated they may say to themselves "ok, im only at the highschool level anyway and i don't even know if ill go pro so why bother screwing my whole life?"

education is the key. if people arent dumb, they wont act dumb.
    test
  16. Ben Official

So people who don't play sports get to use steroids all they want and people in them can't. Lmao thats totally fucking ridiculous. How do you not see this?
    test
  17. Ben Official

Since some kids in highschool already use steroids we should make it legal to everyone right?

Since some kids in highschool use crack already, we should make it legal to everyone right?
    test
  18. LiveFromThe781

i didnt say everyone could use steroids but atheletes couldnt. what i said was the sports can govern themselves in terms of what is prohibited and what isnt.

my initial argument wasnt that we should legalize steroids just because some kids use them. you said that since cigarettes are legal 15 year olds can find them more available, i said that a 15 year old could steroids if they wanted them too. i wasnt pushing for 15 year olds to take steroids i was just wondering what youre point of 15 year olds smoking has to do with what were talking about.
    test
  19. Ben Official

Oh, well my point is that cigarettes are legal to buy over the age of 18, and look how many kids under 18 smoke. It would be similar if steroids were legal. Sure, teens use them but that number would be increased substantially if they were legal over a certain age, since they would be way more accessible.

The argument was in response to an argument saying that steroids should be legal but only for people over a certain age, when they stopped growing.

My point was since they would become way more accessible, people that shouldn't be using them will be using them.
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

i dont know about all that. i dont think kids are going to be all hyped up about injecting themselves and then going and busting their ass in the gym. most kids are lazy, cigarettes are great for lazy people. diet & exercise trendy? ...hmm would that be such a bad thing in this country? lol

but in all seriousness i dont think there would suddenly be a steroid epidemic upon legalization. you also act as if steroids are going to be sold over the counter at your local corner store or something.

once again, education. in countries where things seemingly considered so evil here are legalized there is nothing overly appealing about them. they are what they are and thats it, sure some people will abuse them but the rate is much lower there and those people usually are suffereing from some type of illness/condition and are just self medicating anyway. my point is, as ive said before, with the proper education AND availability people tend not to abuse things for "cool points" so much. Lets also keep in mind steroids are widely legalized throughout the world and we all know how many kids in Thailand are taking steroids...that must be why theyre so huge over there.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.