Should steroids be legalized?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Oct 7, 2007.

?

Should steroids be legal?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

Just because we take less vacations doesn't mean we are the least lazy. Lazy in terms of work is one thing. Lazy in terms of exercise and lifestyle is another. More than 60% of Americans do not achieve the recommended amount of regular physical activity. Almost 25% are completely sedentary. 50% of Americans who begin exercise training programs drop out within 6 months. This is due largely to a perceived lack of time, fatigue, lack of willpower, and lack of knowledge about fitness.

We are one of the fattest, laziest, most sedentary countries on the planet. Sure we may work more, but we are still less active than most other countries. You have to incorporate more than just hours worked on the job when you consider laziness in a country. Where do you get YOUR information? From online forums and internet articles? I've taken years of exercise and nutrition classes at the University of Wisconsin which is where I've learned most of my information, along with years of research outside of school.

Quit being Steve's lackey and do some research yourself before you try to deny my knowledge.
    test
  2. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

i get my information from the American Culture class im taking. its a really interesting course you should check it out if your school offers it. I dont really agree with the whole sedentary thing. I think theres just as many sedentary people elsewhere, if not more, than here in the USA. What i think the main problem here has become is the poor overall food choices. Americans eat more fast food than anywhere else and fast food has a TON of shit in it. Unless you have the lifestyle of a professional athelete thats going to take its toll on you in terms of body composition. I also think Americans hit the gym than most other countries anyway. so my blame for obesisty in America has nothing to do with being lazy, it has to do with being ignorant of nutrition.

americans = lazy? not in the least

americans = ignorant? painfully so
    test
  3. Ben Official

I don't really think its an arguable topic, I mean I kind of thought this was one of the few topics agreed upon by most people. Have you ever been out of this country? Like to Europe?

A kind of funny thing happened to me last time I was out of the country. I've been all over Europe about 4 times in my life. I noticed that it was extremely hard to find anybody even remotely over weight. The last time I went, we made it a mission to find a significantly fat person like we see all the time in the United States. We didn't see a single obese person until we passed by this one store with a decently fat chick in it. We go in, amazed we found one, and as we get closer to her we realize shes a tourist from the States. We failed to find an obese person. Thats how different it is there than here.

And that fast food thing is really true, and it contributes to what I was saying before. We are too lazy to cook ourselves. We resort to microwavable foods and fast food way WAY too much. There were some crazy facts in a lecture earlier this semester which I don't have the energy to dig up now but I might in the morning. We are without question one of the most obese countries, and the reason we are so obese is BECAUSE we are so sedentary.

I mean as I said before 60% of people don't get the recommended physical activity, which is really insane seeing as how the recommended physical activity is little more than 30 minutes a day, including walking, raking leaves, mowing the lawn, etc. 25% don't do ANYTHING. Thats really mind blowing to me and it shows how sedentary this nation has become. Its really sad and pathetic.

So while we may work ourselves harder than most countries to earn the extra dollar, we definitely don't work ourselves as hard to lose the extra pound. Only 3% of the U.S. is in manual labor. So although people may work a lot, they still aren't physically active.

I agree that we work more than most other countries. We work way too much. However we also have some of the most sedentary and inactive lives outside of work which is why we say we are a lazy country. I don't mean in terms of work, I mean in terms of exercise and lifestyles which if you look into it you will find is sadly true.
    test
  4. LiveFromThe781

im getting the impression you either didnt read, or didnt understand what i wrote. im not denying that americans are obese..that cant be denied because it is fact. however i blame the reason on poor food choices, you keep bringing up exercise. europeans arent thinner because theyre more active (because i do not think europeans exercise any more than americans), theyre thinner because they eat less food. they have much much smaller portions of food over there than compared to here. as someone whos been there you should know this first hand. Americans like things big. big houses, big cars, big portions of food. Americans also like things fast, hence fast food. now what do you get when you combine big portions with low grade fast food? Answer = a very fat person. check the sizes of mcdonalds meals in france vs. in america. even with average exercise or activity if you eat more calories than burn youre going to become fat. its very simple.
    test
  5. Ben Official

smaller portions and poor food choices are a huge reason why we are obese, that is true. but so is being less active and lazy. we dont cook for ourselves because we are lazy. instead we eat fast food and microwavable dinners. this is because we are a lazy country, we like to do things the easy way with as little effort as possible.

heres a good article out of vanity fair. its titled "lazy-ass nation". a good read

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/10/lazyamerica200710

maybe ill dig up some lecture notes from past lectures, but we are a very inactive country. one example can be seen in the extreme decrease in emphasis on gym and physical education classes in American schools. they have decreased greatly over the past couple decades and i can dig up the exact numbers later if your curious. we are lazy, but lets not deviate too much from the original argument which you havent contributed to. instead your trying to pick out supposed false facts and points you disagree with in my arguments.
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

what hasnt decreased in schools over the past couple of decades?

that article isnt a very good source. its true about americans loving technology which makes life easier, but its wrong about how/why that is.
    americans love innovation, it comes from the days dating back to the frontier where americans where left with the tasks of creating everything for themselves: houses, tools, clothes, literally everything. it has absolutely nothing to do with being lazy. in fact as noted by Tocqueville, Americans are too busy working to buy more toys/gadgets/whatever that they never have the time to enjoy them.

if you want to keep talking about steroids then say something about them. i just noticed you and steve were saying americans are lazy and i find that to be very untrue. its some half-assed stereotype with no evidence to support it. in fact theres more evidence contradicting it.
    test
  7. Ben Official

lol, the laziness of america isnt really opinion, its facts i've been taught by my professors over the years. im done arguing this with you. if you dont want to believe it, dont believe it. it doesnt affect me either way. bye
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

ok...are your professors teaching american culture or are they professors in an entirely different field? i wouldnt take economics advice from a psychology teacher. PhD or not, its out of the spectrum of their practice.
    test
  9. Ben Official

ive taken classes in sociology, psychology, health, nutrition, exercise, etc. most of which are team taught, meaning theres a nutritionist, exercise and physiology professor, and a psychology or sociology professor as well. most of the lazy american type stuff comes from the sociology and psychology of exercise profs.
    test
  10. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

i think it is a nutritional issue...

to give you an example...i can eat a 750 calorie double cheeseburger from mcdoanlds in literally 10 seconds...thats obviously a problem because it would take me a lot more than 10 seconds to burn off the excess calories in that meal...

how hard would it be for mcdoanlds to cut their portion sizes down...those gigantic sodas and fries are ridiculous...

and its not just fast food or snack food...americans make shitty food for themselves...

i actually hate this topic, so imma quit talking...
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

yeah this really is another topic in itself. ...but then again so few people post here does it really matter if we take away from the original topic?

mcdonalds actually does have smaller portions in other countries. its just that large food at a cheap price is so appealing to americans. americans like things big, americans like things fast.

take the avg. american with the avg. french person. you could give the french person less recreational activity, less manual labor and just keep their diet as an avg. french diet and they would still be thinner than the american who is twice as physically active yet eats fast food anywhere from 5-8 times a week.

and when most americans arent eating fast food, theyre eating freezer food. just because its more convient for them. the problem with the rediculously untrue stereotype that americans are lazy is the confusion between opting for convienience and pure sloth.
    test
  12. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

who ever thinks roids should be legalized is lazy. If they were legal, this would influence people who work hard naturally to stop. Why work so hard if you could do less and gain more? Then everyone would be unhealthy and have physical problems later on. Steroids are just a way for pussies to feel better. Plus every sport will be messed up.
    test
  13. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Steroids are just a way for pussies to feel better? Do you even realize the dedication and discipline one needs while on gear? Do you realize the amount of calories(5-7,000 at least) and extreme physical exertion one needs to exhibit to optimize gains and to keep those gains when cycling off?

And who gives a fucking dog shit about steroids in sports? Are sports really THAT important? I don't think so. Besides, half the athletes are already juicing and will continue to. The American public demands faster and stronger atheletes and progressively more stellar performances every year. The public fiends for it. Sports NEED steroids to survive an ever increasing appetite for awesome displays of human feats.
    test
  14. Ben Official

lol what?! qft
    test
  15. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

What?
    test
  16. LiveFromThe781

yeah steroids arent a "shortcut". you still have to work hard while on them, its like taking a supplement, it wont do the work for you.

as far as sports, i think it takes the honest competition out and while its true a lot of pro atheletes use it its still against the law so it isnt fair to those other athletes who choose to follow the rules of the game.
    test
  17. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

maybe i dont know exactly everything about steroids cuz i never used them, but i do know for sure they are unhealthy, and they are a shortcut. Why not just work harder in the gym??

Who cares about steroids in sports???? How about the people paying to see it? ALL the statistics would be destorted. People dont respect that bonds broke the record cuz he had an advantage for a period in his carreer, while hank aaron did it clean. Now your gonna leagize steroids and younger players starting out will crush his record. You would have to throw all the old statistics out.

Making steroids legal will mean everyone will HAVE to be on them or else they will automatically be on a disadvantage. So everyone will be fucked up after their careers are over. I think it is a lot more rewarding if it is natural, and it takes a lot out of the sports.
    test
  18. Ben Official

LOL @ "steroids arent a shortcut" wow
    test
  19. Ben Official

word, basically what i said...

just to repeat:
    test
  20. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

So throw the fucking statistics out, who cares? The public WANTS to see records broken, they want to see faster athletes, stronger athletes, the demands that the sports world is putting on athletes is becoming unattainable without the use of steroids. The public and the "paying fans" are pushing the athletes to steroids. They're cornering them with their eagerness to see amazing displays and more clips for the highlight reel. If ALL athletes stopped doping right now and went all natural, the leagues sales would start to plummet. Where would the Shawn Merriman sacks be? The Barry Bonds home runs? The *insert olmypic sport here* record broken? They'd be gone.

Let me repeat....
    If you think steroids aren't already everywhere in sports than you're fucking naieve as all hell.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.