Should steroids be legalized?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Steve Schade, Oct 7, 2007.

?

Should steroids be legal?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Not only junk food. It depends on what you want to classify junk food. Plenty of "healthy foods" have tons of sugar and HFCS as well as MSG. Plastic containers with estrogen mimickers too.
    test
  2. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Wow, this thread has thoroughly disappointed me. Speaks volumes about the ignorance contaminating society and apathy in regards to personal freedoms.

I've yet to see one good argument in here for steroids being illegal. Shit, some of you can't even present an argument.

Oh, and Live, read Docket No. 2006D-0480. Draft Guidance for Industry on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Products and Their Regulation by the Food and Drug Administration. I think it was finally shot down because of all the backlash, but there are new regulations for supplements which will eventually completely change the landscape and severly limit choices when you go to GNC.
    test
  3. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

thats brilliant thinking...why would someone outlaw supplements? all that does would make someone think ok steroids are illegal...protein powder is illegal, fuck it all i'll just take the steroids.

i dont even understand how you can ban them all they are is nutrients that are natural in food or produced endigenously in the body, protein is in just about everything and creatine is in a lot of meats too, especially liver. so i dont get it are they going to start banning food next?
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/steroids.html
    test
  5. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

And^? That's what? A biased article spewing the same old shit. Where's the PROOF???

And I don't fucking care if one testosterone injection would cause your heart to explode into a million pieces. IT'S NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S JOB TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T FUCKING DO TO YOUR BODY.

What's so fucking difficult to grasp about this? There's little to no proof showing steroids are dangerous long term, there's no proof of roid rage, studies show the overwhelming majority of users are 30 year old middle class white men with college degrees(and not 15 year old HS'ers), the AMA and DEA and FDA all opposed the scheduling of anabolics as controlled substances, using steroids should be a personal fucking choice as one's use DOES NOT affect anyone else whatsoever.
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

you know what i think ive been overlooking the real point. while i dont personally agree with the supplemention of steroids it is true that the government should not be able to tell you what you can and can not do (withen reason). however, when the side effects related to use of a drug may potentioally put someone else in danger then the government reserves the right to outlaw the drug. i dont know how serious the "roid rage" is but if people who take it can not control their violent emotions as direct result of the drug it shouldnt be available. other than that, i agree it should be legal because whether or not YOU personally want to use it is YOUR choice, but its not your choice [to tell someone else or for the government to tell you] what you are legally allowed to put into your body. the end.
    test
  7. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

if steroids should be legal than so should other drugs.

they should not be legal.
    test
  8. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

First off, most drugs impair someone's cognitive abilities to some degree, which is the reasoning for most scheduling of substances. Steroids cause no such impairment.

Whether or not they are possibly dangerous to one's own health is completely and 100% irrelevant as there are hundreds of legal compounds killing the population daily.

Any argument against steroids being legalized is always completely retarded. I've yet to see anyone come up with a good reason why steroids should be illegal, because there aren't any.
    test
  9. Ben Official

what about the "roid rage" putting them at a danger to others, severe mood swings, huge risk of depression which can and has led to suicide from steroid use, angry hostile moods, etc.

they can be lethal to ones health. and is NOT completely irrelevant lol. sure there are plenty of things that are bad for you, but they can only limit so much. injecting steroids is a big risk to ones health and can put one at danger to others.

the impairmant of cognitive abilites is a factor but not the only reason why most drugs are illegal.

do some research on why drugs are illegal and you'll understand why steroids are no different.

you seem extremely biased on this issue "I've yet to see anyone come up with a good reason why steroids should be illegal, because there aren't any." lol

then why is marijuana illegal? cocaine? pain killers? please explain the differences, and yes steroids do effect ones cognitive abilities. while not in the same way as, say, alcohol, they can cause dramatic changes in mood, aggression, and depression which can lead to violent crimes.
    test
  10. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

Steroids have way more damaging potential than street drugs do. The only difference is that steroids in correct quantities can be good, while street drugs are in no way good. That's the problem though. People see steroids being used medicinally and it gives them a false sense of security.

Unless you actually need them, I'd steer clear.
    test
  11. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I've said this 10 times already, but there's no proof of "roid rage". Sorry. Not true.

As for possible mood fluctuations, you can't keep a substance illegal because of its possible effects on one's mood. Otherwise you have to criminalize sugar, caffeine, aspirin, cigarettes, ALCOHOL, etc. Shotty argument for a substance being illegal.

Got any PROOF to back that statement up? No? Didn't think so. Steroids pose minimal health consequences when compred to trans fats, sugar, flour, etc- and yes these could be limited/controlled. Your argument that steroids should be illegal as they are dangerous to ones health has to be completely disregarded when people are consuming and using substances which are killing them daily that are legal. Why don't you get this? If substance A is lethal and legal, you can't use health as a reason for steroids legality.

Steroids are illegal because some olympic athletes used them back in the 80's and false stories about widespread high school athletes using was blown up as some sort of epidemic. Nevermind that every survey and statistic from the 80's shows that only about 1% of HS students were using. THAT's why steroids are illegal, not whatever reason you're giving here.

Yes I am biased, I think steroids should be legal.

Marijuana's illegal because big wigs ran a hure anti-marijuana propaganda campaign back in the thirties because hemp would have ruined the cotten industry. Pain killers are illegal because RX companies were able to patent and control them. Most drugs are illegal for the wrong reasons.

lol@they can cause dramatic changes in mood which can lead to violent crimes. Are you fucking kidding me? Was that a joke?
    test
  12. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I completely disagree with you that steroids are more dangerous than street drugs.

Who are in the drug rehabilitation centers? Crackheads? Heroin addicts? Meth heads? Yes, yes, and yes. Steroid users? No. There aren't any steroid users out robbing people or stealing car steroes to buy a vial of testosterone cypionate.

As surveys have shown, most steroid users are middle income males with college degrees. Usage is well thought out and planned. Go to any steroid forums on the web and all you'll find are intelligent people giving good advice and frowning upon mega doses and young use.

This is why steroid users are doing just fine in Thailand, Mexico, and Europe. Posession is legal there and there aren't thousands of people dieing due to juicing.
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

lmao@ steve single handedly owning this thread
    test
  14. supacilious

supacilious master of ceremonies

[youtube]Pu0aaFXCpOI[/youtube]

lol...
    test
  15. Ben Official

First of all, quit crying. Chill out. Relax.

How are you going to say this isnt true? What kind of proof do you want? Your so biased that even if I dug up an article linking steroid use to increased mood disturbances involving irritability and aggressiveness, you would still stick to your argument.

I've known many people that have experimented with steroids. A common complaint I hear from the ones who have experimented is that they are constantly on the edge and in the mood to fight or be aggressive due to the increased testosterone levels. This coincides with what I have read and have learned about steroids. Having not experimented with them myself, this is what I have to go off of and its strong enough for me to believe it. If my friend uses something and tells me how it affects him, I'm not going to brush it off as bull shit when I have no experience using them myself. Just because you may use them and not experience the roid rage yourself doesn't mean others don't experience it.

According to "Fit & Well" a text book written by 2 professors from Stanford University and one from California State University, side effects of steroid use include liver damage and tumors, decreased levels of HDL, heart disease, depressed sperm and testosterone production, high blood pressure, depressed immune function, problems with sugar metabolism, psychological disturbances, masculinization in women and children, premature closure of bone growth centers, and an increased risk of cancer.

even IF that was true, what? So because they dont pose as much damage as other things in our environment, we should have no problem taking them?

The health risks is not the only reason why they are illegal. Try to imagine if they were legal and freely accessible. Can you imagine the effect it would have on America? So many people would be using steroids that building muscle the natural way would decrease immensely. America is arguably the laziest country on the planet. Everybody is about doing things the easy way with as little effort as possible. That being said, the use would increase so much that almost everybody would have to take them if they wanted to keep up with everybody else. Everybody in pro sports would take them, because the ones who would use them would be so far ahead of everyone else in terms of strength, size, and performance that people who did not take them would have no choice but to use them or quit, save a few genetically gifted ones. Young kids would start using them, which would have severe effects on their growth and puberty.

Even if they were tightly regulated, these effects would still be present. If we make them easier to access, it will only make it easier for youths to use them just as well as everyone else.

You can use them all you want. You can believe they dont affect your health (lol) but quit trying to deny all the information on the other side. Keep an open mind.
    test
  16. Ben Official

If steroids could be absolutely 100% controlled, meaning you get checked out, make sure you've stopped growing and are above age 24 or so, and injected by and only by doctors while being closely monitored, I think it would be another story. But the fact is that it would be pretty hard for that to happen. It would still make for easier access to people that shouldn't be using them.

And for the sports part, I still think it would create a completely unfair playing field. Athletes would basically be forced to use them if they want to keep up with others.

The truth is most research, both for and against steroid use is anecdotal and although there may be people that have used steroids for 20, 40, 50 years with no serious health defects, we just cant say for sure if that will be the case with everyone else. There have been people that have smoked 20, 40, or 50 years without serious health defects either.

The health risks are not the reason why they are legal and you will find doctors arguing both sides of the issue.
    test
  17. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

I can dig up particles where there was no increase in mood irritability or aggressiveness. As I said before, the general consensus is that if you're predisposed to aggressive behavior then it's possible that it will be amplified on tesosterone. On the flip, if you're mellow, your mood is probably not going to be effected much by extra testosterone.... But we also can't only focus on testosterone, considering there are 30+ other steroid compounds, not just testosterone, that wouldn't have as much effect on one's mood.

Everything in bold can be reversed or kept to a minimal if proper steps are taken. Liver damage only occurs with oral steroids, depressed sperm and test production is easily reversed by Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators which are used after a cycle, psychological disturbances is based on iffy science with little to back it up, and avoiding using steroids before the age of 22 can ensure the avoidance of growth plates setting before they should... I could argue the rest too, but some of those may be unavoidable. I still think that responsible doses is pretty safe, as per any substance or anything the body ingests, moderation is key. Going overboard with anything is going to cause a smorgusboard of problems.

We should have no problem having them be accessible to use if one so chooses. I'm saying it's not the government's job to protect me from myself. If I want to use steroids, so be it. That should be my decision and not Uncle Sams. If people can get plastered on the weekends and chain smoke till 6am, then I should be able to stick a syringe in my ass that's going to help me build muscle.

I will agree that America is lazy as fuck, least we're on the same side there. But steroids were legal for many years before being scheduled in the 90's. It's not as if America's vanity hasn't been prevelant for ages, so to say that interest in steroids would be higher now than in the 80s shouldn't be true. So if usage was low then, it would still be low now... As for athletics, I think steroids are widely used in pro sports already. From what I've read, most of the steroid testing policies in the leagues is pretty much a joke and a large majority of athletes are already using.

I think the real reason for the crackdown on anabolics is because they can help alleviate a myriad of symptoms from depression, fatigue, muscle loss, etc. This is why anti-aging clinics and hormone replacement therapy doctors are increasing in large amounts.

I just don't think it's right that one can eat a donut, smoke a cigarette with vodka filled coffee before their cosmetic surgery and pop their daily anti depressant but yet that person can't take some winstrol to increase muscle density. Something is seriously wrong with this picture. None of the aforementioned substances do anything but ravage your body, but steroids at least provide some positive traits. It just doesn't make sense.
    test
  18. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

[youtube]z0LEj8IPHGU[/youtube]
    test
  19. Ben Official

I totally agree that this society is completely fucked up in terms of illegalization of most drugs. Especially when alcohol is the most dangerous, lethal, and widely used of them all. Its really kind of insane that its legal largely because its more socially acceptable than other drugs.

America has always been a fat, lazy, country. However since the 1980's obesity and sedentary lifestyles have increased dramatically. They are now worse than ever. Between 1960 and 1980, there was only a minor increase in the number of Americans who were overweight or obese. Since 1980, not only has the percentage increased, but much of the increase is concentrated in the "obese" category, which grew by 60 percent between 1991 and 2000. This is an extreme increase, and Americans are more lazy, fat, unmotivated, and inactive than ever.

Personally I think that if steroids became available to everyone, we would see way more use than in the 80's. The unfair playing field would increase substantially, and the amount of natural, steroid free athletes would decrease dramatically given the need to keep up with everyone else. I will stand by that, and while it is more subjective than other arguments, I believe the effects on America would be enormous. And this is a large reason why they are still illegal. Same with marijuana. The government is afraid that it will change America too much and this is a large reason why these drugs are still illegal. However, with marijuana, I think use would immediately increase then eventually begin to level out. With steroids, use would increase substantially and keep increasing due to the need to keep up with others.

More and more people will start using steroids (including those who should not be using them), creating a snowball effect where most people in the gyms would end up using them. People trying to get big naturally would feel isolated and behind everyone else, increasing the chance they will use, further increasing the snowball effect. Getting big would be easy for everyone, decreasing the praise that people get for their accomplishments. I think the changes would be too dramatic on society and that if one really wants steroids now, they aren't too hard to get. I think it should remain like this.
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

lol@ america being "arguably the laziest country on the planet" america has less vacation time than practically anywhere else on the planet (atleast in its economic industrial bracket) there are no mandated vacation days here versus i believe 10 in Germany. Do you know what the "Puritan work ethic" is? Due to job cuts the average American actually does the same labor as equivelant to 1.5 people in other countries. America is actually arguably the hardest working country on the planet. dude do you just get your information from rumors or do you ever do research?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.