SHOGUN AMAZING! New Champion!

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by ANDtheMC, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

I'd put Wand and Liddell over him.

Those two both defended their titles over and over and over and over again.

Shogun never really shined when the spotlight was on him (except for this last fight, of course).

Not to mention he DID fight at middleweight A LOT (but most pride LHW's did, so I guess I can't hold that against him, just saying Chuck fought LHW's exclusively, his whole career).

I do think titles play a large part in a fighter's legacy, he has to have some defenses under his belt.

As of right now, all he has is ONE title (which he just won) and ONE grand prix under his belt.

Wanderlai was a world eater in his prime.

Chuck was as well.

We have to see how long Shogun can sustain his dominance in order to crown him the greatest....
    test
  2. Money Mac Sabb

Money Mac Sabb Horse Meat FTW

I love Wand, but you look at his record and he's done so so against the most notable lhws he's faced.

liddell's resume is better, but the quality of opponents was a bit better overseas in his division at the time.

I think Shogun had the toughest fights at LHW during the time when all three were on top of the world.
    test
  3. .:Pain:.

I'm not disagreeing with you in saying that Shogun, of the three mentioned, has beaten the best competition, he just didn't do it when it mattered.

Wanderlai and Liddell did.

I'm also not saying that he isn't the best LHW in the world, just that it's way too early in his reign as champion to say that.

It'd be like calling Jimi Hendrix the best after Are You Experienced. Yea he had jammed with some of the best (BB, Clapton), but besides that album, he hadn't really shown that he could be consistently dominant with his chops. He just hadn't accomplished what Beck or Page had, so to say that he was the best would be an affront to their accomplishments.

I'll wait til Shogun's Axis Bold As Love to call him the greatest, for now, he's just on his way up...
    test
  4. WhiteWidow

WhiteWidow how u luv dat?

lol @ sweeps from the clench
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

Yea, lol @ sweeps from the clench.

You fucking nerd you...
    test
  6. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Yes... Also known as trips, throws, tosses, and more. WTF is so funny about that? In the LHW division, those two are the best at them.
    test
  7. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

WTF? If that's intended towards me, you're an idiot. There are sweeps from the clench.
    test
  8. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

And before I see some stupid remark/response, here's an example of a "sweep from a clinch".

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qje5jMNw77I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qje5jMNw77I&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Dude. WhiteWidow was talking about the typo and Pain was laughing at him for caring.
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Oh... OK. Guess I didn't find any humor in it. ::shrugs:: But ok. Thanks for explaning.
    test
  11. .:Pain:.

@cunnysmythe
    ^haha thank you.

I'm sorry And but you take yourself waaayyyyyy too seriously sometimes...
    test
  12. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

It's cool, Pain. My fault. I just didn't get it.
    test
  13. WhiteWidow

hahaha no i wasn't laughing at the typo.

when i read it i didn't know you were talking about foot sweeps.

everyone talks like they are a professional on here. i see a lot of retarded shit, so i always read it with a critical eye. so when you said sweeps from clinch it didn't occur to me you were talking about foot sweeps.
    test
  14. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I've trained jiu-jitsu so I know about foot sweeps. It's one of the only form of takedowns they really teach you in jiu-jitsu so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty garbage at getting it to the ground tho'... I'm better using sweeps when someone is standing in my guard and I put them on their back and go for leg locks or try to jump on them (not literally).

But yes, those are sweeps. And the way you were saying it was what I was taking it as so it came off real ignorant. But I got'chu.
    test
  15. WhiteWidow

yeah that is my bad. i am part owner of a school and i have been teaching bjj for about 4 years now. the amount of ignorance thrown around on this message board is fucking disgusting tbh. but that also makes me read into everything ASSUMING the person doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, so i make mistakes
    test
  16. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

True true. I see a lotta nonsense on Sherdog too. I just watched the Machida fight again and I realized Machida was doing the complete wrong thing when he got mounted. I guess he doesn't train it much cuz how often is Machida gonna get mounted?

Shogun was postured up and throwing wild blows so I'm pretty sure bridging would have worked almost perfectly and he would have got out. Shogun wasn't controlling at all. If he bridged, he probably could have go up and ended in Shogun's guard or even standing. But then again, he was stunned and after getting rocked like that, I dunno if I woulda thought to do that either.
    test
  17. WhiteWidow

yeah, he was already rocked when his back hit the mat. he was out of it already. shogun just had to finish. there was no hope for him at that point.
    test
  18. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

Yeah. I didn't even realize he was tryna break his posture from his lower back. That honestly doesn't even make sense because it would be impossible to do that. The only thing that would have worked was to bridge. I think someone with more composure would have done it more instinctively and bridged Shogun off but again: how much would Machida train being mounted? It's never happened before and might not ever happen again.

But yeah... he was rocked no matter what.
    test
  19. WhiteWidow

dude he was out of it already. i'm sure he trains being mounted all the time. it would be retarded of him not to. just because you haven't been mounted before doesn't mean you wont be mounted ever.

i rarely give up my back, but i still train the fuck out of back escapes. but thats not the point

either way, all technique talk of him escaping is not even relevant because he was already rocked too hard to do anything. i'm sure even if shogun hadn't mounted him at that point, machida would have barely been able to stand.
    test
  20. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

I'm not sure. Watching the replay a few times, it seems like he regained his compusure for a few seconds and that's when it seemed like he tried to put his head close to Shogun's body and break Shogun's posture.

I'm not saying his composure was 100% but I've seen people rocked worse than that and still recover. Who knows.... When I roll, I never got rocked and tried to roll so I wouldn't be able to say.

The one time I did use jiu-jitsu after I got hit multiple times in a fight, I had lumps on my face but it didn't faze my equilibrium so I was still composed. Guess I can't talk cuz I've never been in the situation.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.