Shadow boxing with weights...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by J Keeper, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I'm looking to get my hand-speed up.

Anyone know a good regiment to up hand-speed using shadow boxing with weights?
    test
  2. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

Shadow boxing with weights is an excellent way to injure yourself.
    test
  3. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I have proper punching technique and I know not to throw too hard or fast to fuck my technique and get injured.

I trained in boxing and karate for years upon years.

I don't go to the gym anymore but I want to maintain what I had at least, all I really do is spar with my old friends.

Not getting ready for a fight or anything, just wanna be ready if one should happen.
    test
  4. bgreen

bgreen Active Member

I do this thing..where i grab two weights..generally in the 2-5 lb area....rest em on my hip kinda like a karate stance..then throw punches one after another for 2 mins straight, then switch to uppercuts for a minute then back to 2 minutes straight jabs
    test
  5. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

^That's what I did except I used 10 lbs.

Shadow box in stance for about 5 minutes with plenty of core and foot movement, break for a minute and a half, go again for another five. Did that 6 times with a few push-ups to keep warm in between.

Did it yesterday and my shoulders and lats (especially) are ROCKIN'.

I have really weak shoulders though, another reason I feel like this exercise would be good for me.
    test
  6. D_Said.

D_Said. Member

shadow boxing with weights is a bad idea for more reasons than just injury
    to maximize speed you should be clenching your fist right before impact, if you get too used to the idea of having a weight clutched in your hand you might begin to lose that ability. that or you start clenching your hands too much for unncessary reasons when youre fighting just cus youre used to having a weight in your hands. clenching of the fist- energy draining.

what you can do is train with weighted / heavier gloves than normal.
    you say you arent fighting anymore so basically any glove you wear is gunna add weight to your hand and increase your speed when you have the gloves off anyways though

you can try angling your punches higher than normal. depending on your height you usually aim slightly lower / higher. try aiming much higher than your typical stance would have you throwing your punches. 2 mins of continuous punching in the air. 20 seconds off. the increased angle/heavier gloves will help your hand speed.

your general cardio is also extremely important. any semi-decent boxer can throw fast punches... what most cant do is maintain it for rounds on rounds. if you improve your cardio... your hands will ultimately be faster because you can keep your speed up for increased periods of time
    test
  7. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I was going to use wrist weights but I didn't think they weighed enough.

I want to make sure there's enough resistance to make a difference.

As far as clenching my fist before impact, I've been doing that for ten plus years now, I don't think a little training every day for a little while is going to get rid of that. I don't even notice myself doing it anymore.

I feel like this would mess up form more than anything. I understand the form is the same, just the direction changes, but I feel like it's going to make it feel weird to fight shorter fighters (I'm 6"1', most people are in fact shorter than me).
    Cardio is a non-issue.
    test
  8. bgreen

bgreen Active Member

are your fist not almost completely closed when inside a pair of gloves?
    test
  9. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

They are.

Shit, tape usually freezes them completely clenched. The difference is the actual effort of the clenching of the fist. Your fists are closed but your not giving them that squeeze, the effort of the squeeze of the clenched fist is what he's speaking of.
    test
  10. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

:facepalm2:

You aren't going to find anyone recommending more than 1-3lb weights.
    test
  11. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Been doing research, and you're pretty much right.

This is what I think I'm gonna do.

test
  12. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

TBH I should've asked the people I train with.

I always feel like a fucking rookie around them though I hate giving them ammunition.

But yea, I'm gonna start at three for one round, go down to wrist weights for the second round, then just hit the bag from the last one.
    test
  13. yayo

yayo Polar Bear LaFlare

3 or 5lb dumb bells at most.

look into resistance bands
    test
  14. cornlaurene

cornlaurene New Member

Shadow Boxing with weights could prove dangerous if not handled well. I would suggest not to do it.
    test
  15. Allan33

Allan33 New Member

I qualified in punching and martial arts for decades upon decades. I don't go to the gym any longer but I want to sustain what I had at least, all I really do is fre with my old buddies.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.