Sh!t frontman of sh!t band admits to attempted rape of baby

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Caesar, Nov 26, 2013.

1. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

Seems like that was a yes where you used the euphemism "this event" for "rape attempt".

I think we need to do something before this karma stuff gets even more out of control.
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

im open to it not existing and all being bs. It wouldnt stop me from trying to be a good, kind, compassionate person.

i understand why people dont want to believe it, because it means we are all responsible for our own fate and they dont understand why theyd reap the negative events from something they dont think they did. Karma and reincarnation have to work together. If you take away reincarnation, then the theory of karma stops working. So people dont think its fair that in some past life they cant remember they did something that caused this(im using the past life thing because its obviously impossible that a baby could have done something evil in its short current life). Reincarnation isnt proven. Karma isnt proven. Until it is i dont expect everyone to even give a shit. Some do, some dont, its a choice at this point kind of.

all i know is that there are a TON of things we dont understand that we pretend to be experts on.
    test
  3. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

I took the question to reddit and quora. Quora gave me the most concise and thorough explanation.

Question: What is karma?
    (The explanation from this question answered the question of its existence)

In Buddhism karma is defined most simply in the fourth chapter of Abhidharma Kosha (Treasurehouse of Higher Knowledge) by Master Vasubhandu (c. 400 CE) as "the movement of the mind and what it motivates." This has been understood to mean that any thought, physical action, or speech creates karma. This karma in turn determines how one experiences the world.

Buddhist masters of the past have set out explicit karmic cause and effect relationships (which I find very helpful). One of the most famous being that laid out by Arya Nagarjuna (c. 200 CE) in which he correlates seven deeds to the results they bring:

(my loose translation from the Tibetan)
    Generosity brings wealth. Morality brings happiness. Not getting angry (patience) brings beauty. Taking joy in helping others bring you authority. Concentration bring you peace of mind. Wisdom frees you. And compassion brings you all good things.
    Not sure how credible the guy was, but this answer should satisfy everyone.

Looks like there was a problem with understanding how it functions. It isn't another of the universe's forces like a score-keeping gravity. It's for your inner peace. "Generosity brings wealth", I guess because you feel good when you're generous. Immediate karmic reward.

I don't see how this could affect reincarnation.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

We are undoubtedly the higher IQ forum.

I couldn't see an AEH thread about some D celebrity molesting kids morphing into a metaphysical debate.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

that's exactly what i said, that's exactly what you're saying.

i believe in the karma while you're living, so if you put in work, it will pay off in the end.

but this concept of inherited sin and karma that you reap before you were born is utter fucking bullshit nonsense.

:numaan:
    test
  6. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i think there's a distinct difference between karma and re-incarnation in buddhism.

they're not directly related in terms of inherited sin, but if that is the concept then i don't agree with it.

it's why i hated the ending for the japanese "reincarnation", the girl did nothing bad in her life to deserve her fate.

:numaan:
    test
  7. x calibur

x calibur

I think the popular conception of Karma (what goes around comes around) is basically a mutation. the eastern concept was fashioned to fit into western christian morality.
    test
  8. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

So is the conceptualization of karma that I posted correct?

If it is, then it satisfies me as existing. In a sense "what goes around, comes around" agrees with the aforementioned concept, but doesn't properly convey the concept.

I'd love some closure on this.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

I think karma is actually a physical substance in Jainism.

I'll get around to researching this more.
    test
  10. x calibur

x calibur

what's clear is that Karma is an eastern concept that assigns action-reaction to morality. but different traditions have different interpretations of this. in some views, it influences your current life in different ways. to others, it's like a credit balance that determines what state you'll be reborn into.

it's hard to settle on one definition when its been interpreted different ways. I was pointing out in the other post that eastern religious thought has a very different metaphysical system than the christian west (god vs devil, heaven vs hell, etc.).
    test
  11. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

Unless karma is just their word for something that actually exists, it'll be more depressing quackery.

And yeah, for the iq thing, we could discuss favourite colours all day and still come out on top.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    test
  12. IssphitiKOzS

IssphitiKOzS Avalanche

I'd like your input on the types with which you're familiar.

I mean, just seeing that there are different interpretations bodes poorly for the concept in general.
    test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

test
  14. x calibur

x calibur

different religious traditions have different views on it, and incorporate it into varying metaphysical systems. there's alot of variety in religious thought. it's not really my place to decide what the transcendent truth is. but I did cover the most simple and consistent definition.

I can expound on Buddhism. like I said, karma is considered to be like a credit balance, either positive or negative. depending on your karmic value, you are reborn into one of many states in many planes of existence. some possibilities: being a godlike being in a paradise, being human, an animal, a preta (hungry ghost), or in one of 8 hot or cold hells. the better rebirths come from positive karma, lower rebirths from negative karma. you'll use up positive karma in a paradise realm, the same way you'll use up negative karma either burning or freezing in hell. the key of Buddhism is to break out of this cycle of craving and rise above the wheel of existence into enlightenment.
    test