Sellings beats to majors (please only if you have experience)

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by MAD SKREWS, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

JaMarcus Cock Sucker BOSS

Samsneed

look man......

ur manager shops ur beat

an A&R throws it in his playlist (CD)

A&R gives the CD to the artist

the artist picks you Beat........

the artist 2 tracks a song on your beat......

the artist gets approval of the track

the A&R contacts u....ask u what u chargin, u refer him BACK to your management....your management negotiates a deal

the 2 parties come to an agreement FOR THE ADVANCE, and if ur management is REALLY on they shit, they'll get u HALF the advance b4 u send any tracking stems,then they send u the PRODUCER DECK (if u have placements, u should kno what this is) and it will have your points and publishing numbers etc.......which can be further negotiated....preferably by your entertainment lawyer......

all that other shit u talkin about sam, i have no clue.....maybe that shit happens to ppl who really dont kno wtf they are doing....or maybe ur just listening to stories from ppl who are simply fulla shit?

who knos?

but thats MY experience in a nutshell......
    test
  2. Money Greene

Money Greene Da Man-Da Myth-Da Legend

And that ladies and gents, is the process. Good post urb.
    test
  3. _REAPAH_

_REAPAH_ Mello Dee

good thread... gotta appreciate niggas droppin gems
    test
  4. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

urb,

of course thats true, thats definitely how one situation works. and what exposer said was how another situation works. what im sayin is this is how another situation works. and its a situation more people are faced with that are unknowns in the industry. And its a more important situation to understand because its usually the first situation people are faced with when getting into the industry. And alot of people don't understand it because they automatically assume that because they make beats, the industry is going to treat them as a producers...and thats just not the case because there is a real difference in production and beat making, especially on big budget projects. And this is where the whole confusion comes in, people don't understand it so they end up getting taken advantage of.

Like i said, it depends on the project. alot of smaller and indie projects are different because there typically aren't any producers in the traditional sense working on it.

If your fortunate enough to go right into production deals, then good for you. but the alot of people dont start out that way.

and my experience comes from talking with entertainment lawyers and people i've meet in and around the industry.
    test
  5. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

which is why u should have reputable representation, to prevent that from happening....the scenarios u mention can be easily avoided....so easily that they're not worth mentioning....

9 times out of 10, if ur dealing with the A&R of the project and not the producer (which would be a horrible idea if u were dealing with the producer) ur gonna get credit

i tell my management off gate, i'm not interested in becoming anybody's keyman or understudy......i'm just as capable as these "elite" producers....just give me the outlet and lets go....im not gonna spend 5-10 years of my career under another nigga gettin on some work-for hire shit

but if thats what u wanna do....and u a young nigga tryna learn the ropes....then by all means, do that....
    test
  6. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY who fuen CARES

uhhhhhh what
    test
  7. premise

premise Timeless

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's a good read for anyone who "makes beats" or is a "producer". There are definately many different experiences people have that help to mold their understanding of the game. Reading a book only you gets you "x" amount of knowledge, and the real knowledge comes from doing it.

I have my publishing membership with ASCAP all taken care of so that's a plus, but I'm yet to place anything. I really appreciated this thread.

Peace>PreM
    test
  8. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

lol....my dude, you're done for the night.

i think u need to read this thread and learn how it really works

a "production deal" is a joint venture between a major label and a music group.........sort of like voicez music group and def jam...........or GMG (green latern) and Rocafella, those are usually for a certain period of time.....alotta times it can just be an artist signed to a production deal thru a label and give up adminstrative control of all their earnings......its basically a "rape you" deal....further helping labels run away from the responsibility of actually developing the artist, like they have in the past......that rather throw em a 360 deal and spend the whole budget on one single and get a percentage of ALL your revenue, that means merchandise, ringtones....ALL that shit.......and the concept is still relatively new and thats a whole new subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand, but i felt i needed to correct you on that....

the "production deal" you're talking about doesnt apply to black music...PERIOD.

THATS a production deal homeboy........we're dealing with hip hop.....not rock, not country........hip hop, the rules are different in this case

please stop posting incorrect info up here further confusing these dudes.....
    test
  9. 7thSense

7thSense New Member

Samsneed is making a lot of sense here. Until someone with major placements and credit can come in here and refute anything, it's a moot argument. People are speaking from their own limited experiences, which haven't given them the full picture of how things work. There are plenty of artists who work with producers to put the SONG together, you supply the beat the artist/songwriters bring the lyrics and the producer puts it together and often times takes the credit, especially from an unknown.

And of course production deals apply to hip hop outside of that joint venture shit. Dre has focus and Hi tech signed to aftermath for production deals. A production deal is also where a label or PRODUCER (who may take the credit) signs you on to suplly them with X amount of tracks for X amount of $$
    test
  10. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

wtf are u talking about....several of us with major placements have already laid the scenario down.....nothing samsneed said was correct

and furthermore....all u have to have is some knowledge in music business to quickly find out the shit he is saying isnt correct......

and yea that other scenario is another type of production deal.....which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand, bc he is basically sayin the label has to SIGN YOU in order for u to get credited as a producer??

thats the dumbest shit i ever heard

yall really need to be sat down and lectured
    test
  11. Djay Cas

Djay Cas Woodgrain Oak

Give a description of your job title and responsibilities

I'm an A&R which stands for Artist & Repertoire. Basically
    you're the representative of your artist for the label and vice versa.
    Meaning if I'm an A&R and Beanie Sigel is my artist then my job is
    to be the liaison between the record company and him and his management
    in regards to the production of his album. This includes coming up with
    ideas, concepts, finding tracks and getting producers on board.
    I'm
    also responsible for the budget so if they gave me $600,000 to do Beans
    album I have to manage the studio time being used, how much we're
    spending for beats, artist features, clearing samples and anything else
    related to making a tight album. There are usually two people at the
    label the artist is tight with on a day to day basis and that's the
    A&R and the Product Manager. So I spend a good amount of my time
    talking to producers and keeping label staff up to date with the
    progress of the projects I'm responsible for.

Lenny S.

i know alot of situations vary for each person but read up.

youre in front of a computer
    the world is at your finger tips.
    test
  12. 7thSense

7thSense New Member

thing is it ain't all cut and dry like you were saying it was. You just detailed one scenario. Like I said other situations have you supplying the beat to the artist while the producer puts the song together and taking all or some of the credit and maybe giving you credit for keyboards or something. And yeah we all trying to get on and a lecture would benefit us all. Including you.
    test
  13. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

actually my dude....it IS cut up and dry just like that......
    test
  14. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

hell, it dont stop there playboy......

What's your basic 9 to 5 run down?
    Listening to production, finding the right track for the particular artist and then going through the process of sealing the deal and everything that comes with that. From identifying any samples, to clearing samples, negotiating prices, etc...booking and managing studio time for our artists and basically making a marriage between the artist and the track to create one whole complete song.

Riggs Morales/Shady Records - Sr. Director of A&R
    test
  15. JaMarcus Cock Sucker

homeboy i'm good, trust me.....

the problem with u rm dudes is that u dont listen.......yall are your own worst enemy....

all the jewels dropped in this thread and u lil niggaz still in here tryna debate and yall aint got shit on no type of public media, nowhere.......
    test
  16. 7thSense

7thSense New Member

nah dude just because we offering different perspective on the topic don't mean we ain't listenin. Both sides can be true to a subject, it ain't always either/or
    test
  17. the exposer

the exposer The Music Luvas

church
    test
  18. 7thSense

7thSense New Member

funny how some people think they have all the answers from their narrow frame of reference. Talk about your own worst enemy. What's worse, offering other points of view or closing your mind with your own narrow POV? and then insulting whoever doesn't sit in awe of you.
    test
  19. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

"the scenarios u mention can be easily avoided....so easily that they're not worth mentioning"

what r you talking about? situation to avoid? most of the biggest named producers out there now "paid their dues" by selling their music as compositions before they started selling their services as production or getting production credit. And there are hundreds of people you never heard of that do it right now for the major projects. I think your naive to think that most people will get into the game right off the bat selling their production services or selling their beats as prodcution to majors. Like i said if you got a moral opposition to it, then thats fine. But alot of people think its a perfectly reasonable way to get to where they need to be in the industry.

"the "production deal" you're talking about doesnt apply to black music...PERIOD."

you obviously dont read anything. Im not discribing a production deal. What im describing is selling a beat as a musical composition, and how its different then a production deal. And how a lot of people have the opportunity to sell a beat as a composition and not know the difference. Or how alot of people end up getting taken advantage of, because they think that because they sell the beat, they are entitled to the producer norms in contract.

"This includes coming up with ideas, concepts, finding tracks and getting producers on board"

and i what i said is that they generally don't find beats for an artist. Finding producers to come on board in a lot of situations (especailly major projects) is different from finding beats for an artist.

I don't think you people read. im not arguing against the what exposer or you or anybody else said. Im talking about situation A when your arguing about situation C. Im saying this situation is important to understand. Dude who started this thread asked about selling to majors. Exposer gave alot of great info. and all im doing is adding some more to complement it to have a more complete picture...one that addressing a different situation
    test
  20. SamSneed

SamSneed TrackWorks

"the "production deal" you're talking about doesnt apply to black music...PERIOD."

^^^and just for the record, thats the dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard in my life...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.