seems to me og dogg is a little ..hesitant to test the kid..lol

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by phaytal, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

OK, arguing with you is pointless... You just don't understand how long 4 years of sitting in a studio everyday learning for 8 hours a day is... I was constantly being taught new things and you couldn't POSSIBLY know half of what I do about engineering... I've worked with labels like Def Jam South Recordings and have spent millions of hours in studios that are 100 times what you have... You just will never understand unless you go to college... But I can't expect you to understand that at 17... I was just as ignorant at 17 too... It's normal...
    test
  2. Aze'

Aze' that's the dummy alarm

Arguing is pointless - you just set yourself up to be proven wrong. Over and over.

How could I 'not possibly know' those things? Were/do you live threw my life when I learn? No. I never said that you didn't learn anything in college - you just refuse to listen, don't you? I said that the fact that you went to college, and the fact that you have the degree - doesn't prove that you are good at audio.... I'm not saying your bad, infact if you look back I even said that you proved you knew how to work a mix.
    You've worked with Def Jam South, thats great - again not proving anything... I've done work with BadBoy ENT... this doesn't mean that I am a great audio wiz, it means I worked with bad boy, thats all.
    Spending time in studios doesn't mean anything... THE ONLY THING THAT MEANS ANYTHING IS THE PRODUCT!... THE SOUND OF THE FINISHED MATERIAL.

I have many an engineering friend/partner/mentore who have gone to audio schools - the majority to FullSail and SAE, some in other colleges. Would you like me to put them on the boards to tell you the same thing I am?

YOU are being as ignorant as I was when I was... *looks back*... nope, don't think I ever was that ignorant.

Keep typing, but notice how you get shut down each and every time.. starting to realise you're wrong? I hope so. That or I hope you can hit me with something solid, because I've just been hearing the same thing here.
    test
  3. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

I haven't read through this topic...ya'll some long winded mf's...

...but...

I won't argue with anyone about how the music industry works, but every other fucking industry just does not work like that. Fair or not...degrees and certificates place you ahead of people w/o them.

The example that is usually used is:

You need to have a tooth pulled. All ya friends go to Bob's Ice House because Tiny can pull a tooth and give you a weeks worth of codeine for $50. Some new dentist office opened up last week - but you don't know anyone that can vouch for their work. You go to the office and talk to the dentist. His degree is on the wall, he has all this high tech equipment, every this is straight (and they take your insurance that has a $50 co-pay).

Do you go to Tiny or to the dentist? The dentist will cost more because you'll have to buy you own pain killer...but he's got a piece of paper that says he knows what he's doing. Tiny has all ya friends as references, but he's doing his work with some needle nose pliers he got @ Home Depot and some toilet paper to soak up the blood. The dentist has 500k invested in his equipment.

Again...I don't know how the music industry works, but I wouldn't fuck with tiny.

Aze:
    I'm not calling you Tiny :), but realize your situation is not normal. How many 17 year olds here have their own lease? How the fuck you pull that off anyway? You 17 with good credit...wtf? That ain't normal.

Making assumptions based on age is human nature. If I'm x years old and y < x, I can assume anyone that falls into the y range is ig'nant.

...ok...ya'll can continue with this bitching contest. Merry Christmas folks.
    test
  4. Aze'

Now Doc', I'm going to just ASUME that you actually are NOT an ignorant person. You know why? Because you said "I havn't read threw this topic". So I'm just going to assume that you got my part twisted.

For the 4th time, I DIDN'T SAY THAT THE DEGREE/4YEARS OF SCHOOL, etc. WOULD NOT HELP HIM FINANCIALLY. I never said that the final product is what mattered in terms of making money.
    I'm saying that if you want to prove yourself as a 'good engineer', it has nothing to do with your peices of paper - or the fact that you spent this many years over there... It's in the final product. If you don't have a good final product, you are not a good engineer.

Stop trying to argue my point people, it's not going to work ;)

P.S: I know it's rare, tho' I don't think it should be. I just evaluated my situation, and decided to make a game-plan and do what I love, so I worked for a couple of years and saved up enough money to do it. How did I get the lease you say? I guess they really liked the CASH I pay them instead of threw credit card, or checks. I wonder how good this will make my credit.
    test
  5. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

BLEGHH.....everybody can master audio these days...

i honestly don't even see why you continue to argue aze... your stating an obvious point... of course going to school isnt gauranteed to make someone better at what they do.... i've seen this alot... but i've seen some real knowledgeable cats come out of those schools more...

on a personal note though... i think you've made a error in dropping out of high school, simply because... if your studio job dries up... what will you fall back on?
    test
  6. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

i stand by what i said before.
    test
  7. Aze'

mic1, I'm glad you stand by what you said - you were right. BUT, the mistake you made was not understanding what I said. So you weren't wrong in what you said, but you were wrong about your perseption on what I said.

Syntax: you as well are right, and the drop-out thing is your opinion.
    Do I, to you, look like someone who would not think situations threw? I'd figure you could gather up enough info to assume otherwize. "if" this whole studio thing doesn't work - if It catches fire, if I lose my hearing - I have MANY things to fall back on. What most people in this world fail to realise is that there is SO much money in this world, and SO many ways to get lots of it -- you just have to have a little bit of brains, heart, and a game-plan.
    My rap career isn't doing to bad, I've been doing alot of shows for cash. Selling singles. I recently droped a mix-tape with artists like; Royce, Jin, Elliot Ness (making the band 2), Killer Mike... and I'm not talking about the download/burn mix-tapes, I had to clear tracks. So I also play 'DJ', which pays good.
    I can go back to managing restaurants and flipping pizzas which was making me $600/week.. WebDesign makes me some good cash... and it's something I'm good at. I could live off of the web/print work I do alone.

and if ALL ELSE fails, I could just be a full-time rapmusic.com post-maker :)
    test
  8. Syntax_Mastery

lmao... see

i can't assume how many things your involved in when the convo is centered on studios.

but more power to you man... do your thing....

peace.
    test
  9. Crumch

Crumch New Member

fuck yo I got a shure condesor mic, cool edit mophat and a audigy soundcard and I think im the shit...

guess not...

I now realize Im a hobbit never leaving the shire.....

but to throw this quaetsion out there since so many reputable cats are reading... its not bad to have a ok quality BS setup right.. I figure for the tracks for an lp or money making I would go to a real real real studio and get it banged out
    test
  10. Syntax_Mastery

true

no need to go all out at home unless your trying to run a pro studio at home.
    test
  11. phaytal

phaytal ---I-Got-Next---

i think i should drop by and see what was goin on...but i agree with aze....those 4 years in colledge might get you a job but it doesnt gaurentee a better final product...

so stop going on about your 4 year degree....its gay...it doesnt mean u can mix and master....like syntax said... everyone can mix and master now adays.....

with the information provided and available on the internet etc....there are plenty of oportunities to learn on your own
    test
  12. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

I'm saying that my experience and knowledge is more than you're teenage minds can even grasp... I'd bet any amount of money you couldn't tell me what 1/2 of the knobs and buttons on my mixing board do... Speak whatever you want about final projects, I agree... I'm just saying that you aren't old enough to have the knowledge or experience I do, so your final product CAN'T be half as good as what I can put out... End of story...
    test
  13. Syntax_Mastery

lol@phaytal not sensing my sarcasm.
    test
  14. phaytal

phaytal ---I-Got-Next---

lol syn its actually tru tho

with all the information available...and if you have the ear for it etc...u can
    test
  15. Syntax_Mastery

yea...keyword being "ear"

alot of people don't even have that natural skill... but think they do because someone with altec lansing speakers said they have dope quality...you know?

thats what it all comes down too... the ear seperates the hobbyist from the professional.
    test
  16. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

An "ear" for music is much more helpful in producing than engineering... Engineering is about knowledge and knowing how to get certain sounds and effects with different tools... A good ear for music will get you about as far as the EQ... Try messing with detailed compression & limiting going by ear... You probably won't even be able to hear what the different settings are even doing... You have to realize that everyone is on different setups.. Your ear will get you as far as making it sound good on YOUR setup... Knowledge will make sure that the guy on his PC laptop will get a good sound as well as the million dollar studio A&R...
    test
  17. Syntax_Mastery

i know that much... i PERSONALLY can hear the difference detailed limiting and compression makes... and i havent had any formal training like a school or anything like that... i'm no mastering engineer... but i can hear the differences and i understand what the tools do, and how to acheive a good sound for a variety of setups... thats what referencing checking is for, and also thats what having studio monitors with good transitions is for... like ns10s, and hr824s...

so yes... having a ear, and some knowledge of basic engineering can get you a long way... if you keep at it.
    test
  18. Aze'

OG, you are truely foolish. It seems to me you see passing the age of 18 being a big accomplishment, something you had to work for. My teen mind? You don't know many teens (or adults for that matter) with as good a head as mine - which is exactly why you heard Syntax say "do you know how rare it is for a 17 year old to be in your situation". I'm not mad or anything - because I (as well as just about everyone else reading this) knows I'm right in this whole little 'argument' [if you wana call it that] we're in -- I just can't believe how ignorant you actually are.

You assume that because YOU were a moron at 17 that I, a 17 year old, must be just like you were. Lets get some things correct, I at 17 seem to have ALOT more worldly sense than you, at whatever age you are now (obviously older than I, lets remember, this is your strong-poing in the argument against me). I'm not old enough to have the knowledge you do? Not old enough to have the experiance? You've been working audio for 5 years (as you've let it been known) -- Bizerk is 15, he's been in studios, learning since he was about 8 - he has more experiance than you. Lil' Romeo is like, what, 12? That kid has alot more experiance than you.
    You just make yourself look worse and worse.... it's crazy, you should've left it at -- nothing, my first post even upped you a little bit... but you had to come back.

Lets count your milestones:
    - Older than 17 (also older than 15, amazing, huh?)
    - College.... which came with a pretty peice of paper that said "he was here"
    - A claim of work with a sub division of Def Jam.
    - *most important*: winning the 'mastering showdown' against ghet-ghet. Who funnily enough is still the most popular 'mastering' guy here on RM.

Go Play...
    test
  19. theogdogg

theogdogg New Member

I didn't mean to hurt your ego... I'm sure you probably know everything that they'd teach to a studio engineer... Why go to four years of college anyway, not like you'll get an education out of it... I'm sure at 17 you know as much as a college graduate... Shit, with your vast experience you should be teaching engineering at a college...
    test
  20. Aze'

^ no hurt ego yo'. I'm the one winning these little rebuttals, you look more and more like a fool. I NEVER claimed to be a know-it-all. I never said that you couldn't learn more in college. I never said that you did or didn't know more than me.

YOU, sir, just keep proving your ignorance, haha... this is fun.. keep 'em comin'.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.