SCRIBBLE JAM 2008: MC BATTLE Registration

Discussion in 'Battle Video Archives' started by kevin beacham, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin beacham

kevin beacham New Member

Yes, it's the time again. I just wanted to get on here and let it be known that we are looking to really be very selective with who we let in the main battle this year.

We are strongly considering making it only the top 16 and not 32 mcs for first time ever. Making most everyone do a pre lim on "tour" or in Ohio.

The problem is every year there is a bout 20-24 top MCs I want in there and I have to fill in the those last spots with extras or people who have potential and sometimes come thru and sometimes choke... I suppose it's not a exact science...ha.

In addtion, the Ohio Pre Lim will also be much more selective and harder to get in. You will more than likely find many of the people who generally compete in the main stage battle in the pre lim rather than b-list, c-list, or "worse" MCs.

This is all in our ongoing efforts with "quality control" which in turn makes it more entertaining for the fans which is one of the main reason we are doing this (also for the "progression" of the artform of battling).

Anyway, anyone interested in competing should hit up me up ASAP to find out if you instantly qualify for the main battle or if you will be required to do a Pre Lim.

I'll tell you this, there is only about 10 MCs who I imagine will come out this year who automatically quailfy for the main event. the only guarantee is if you were a 1st or 2nd place winner at Scribble Jam in the last 3 years....

hit me up: kevin@scribblemagazine.com

Now that I've opened the scribble door, let the hating begin....ha.
    test
  2. White-0ut

White-0ut ^ State Of Mynd.. Bitches

i know its early but do you have any idea yet what cities will be holding prelims yet?
    test
  3. EmceeGoddess

EmceeGoddess Disgruntled Man

ima flip a coin on whether or not i enter prelims this yearhrhrh
    test
  4. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

i'm down.
    test
  5. Tricky P

Tricky P Well-Known Member

I'll be at the pre-lim for sure if its open.
    test
  6. Everybody Knows

Everybody Knows piss in tha basket

Personally, I like the 32 slot battle idea. I like the way competitors just get blasted apart by one of the better rappers right off the bat (iron solomon vs elfamail, illmac vs johnny blaze, reef vs plato etc), and if not that then they at least get a chance to warm up before facing more serious competition. just my .02\

also, ill be at cinci, hopefully to battle in the prelims if a hawaii one doesnt get set up.
    test
  7. kevin beacham

kevin beacham New Member

personally, I agree with you. I think it works out well in that first round if there some "unknowns" or "c-list" guys because really one of two things happens:

1)the top list guys get to "warm up" like you said
    2)you get an unexpected upset which is always "interesting"...

However, the bulk of the crowd has no patience it seems. People are booing even the a-list guys if they studder, stop, stall for one second as if rhyming of the top is supposed to be the flawless, seamless exercise.... P

Plus there is always complaints upon complaints about who gets in the battle.

The 16 man thing isn't my idea, it was "suggested" to me by the founder of scribble.

I'm definitely down to do the Hawaii thing again but I can't get those guys to hit me back. I've sent Mox and Matt literally about a dozen emails since last years pre lim and haven't gotten one response, I don't know what's up, but it looks like Hawaii is out unless you know of another promoter.

peace
    test
  8. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

like u said, they boo even the top guys. so they might even boo the 16 u throw up there. U've already named the 2 reasons why 32 is a good idea. Not to mention, more battles potentially leads to more footage to pick and choose from when putting the dvd together. One of the things about seeing scribble every year is too see the new blood get init against the vets.

I hope 16 isn't set in stone yet.
    test
  9. EmceeGoddess

i thought u were gonna address this last year? i really think if you tell people to shut the fuck up itll work.
    test
  10. kevin beacham

kevin beacham New Member

no doubt, but also like I said it isn't "my" idea. I'd rather not do it but Scribble is a democracy so if I get out voted...that's that. It's not set in stone but I need to have a
    real good reason to fight for it, you know like a lot of quality of MCs getting involved...ha.

either way, I will still be more selective than before. Honestly that last minute thing of grabbing whoever happens for two reasons:

Main one: every year about 6-8 people who are supposed to show for the main
    battle don't come. A lot of them email me about 30 times telling me how it
    important is for me not to forget them on the battle list then the don't show.
    I'm "sure" there's a good reason every time...ha

Two: I sometimes have people approach me on the day of the pre lim and want
    to get in. I always hope that one day some unknown walk up will impress
    and run things. It's happened a couple times were a walk up went thru
    pre lims and did decent in the main battle, but more often you get people
    who choke...or just aren't good....
    test
  11. kevin beacham

kevin beacham New Member

you are right. I should try to stress it. I know I've said it on stage. Here's the thing, when I look at host in hip hop the one thing that annoys me most is to have the guy on stage hosting "yelling" at the crowd and/or "bossing" them around all night. I don't think that makes the event "fun". I try to be more "welcoming" to the people and just come off "chill". I probably take it to the other extreme...yeah, I guess I'm too "soft" on stage....ha. I'll have to try to pick up my aggression just enough...ha
    test
  12. Kurrection

Kurrection AKA Tooz Da Gawd

Just get Poison Pen to co-host and beat the hell outta anyone who doesnt listen to him. I know I would shut up.
    test
  13. EmceeGoddess

i know what you're saying kevin, but as we both know its out of hand. you dont need to go ballistic on them but a simple "booing doesnt really add anything to the event, it makes the event less fun for everyone. silence speaks louder than you yelling like idiots"

how about a massive banner or something? why not choke someone with your dreads all im saying is we gotta do something
    test
  14. EmceeGoddess

test
  15. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Yea, the booing is quite annoying, seems like some people turn up just to boo coz they think its funny to do so or something!?!?

I think a friendly word should do the trick, like EG said...a dead silent crowd works just as well as a booing one, hahaha finishing your lines and hearing crickets really puts you off

PEACE
    test
  16. kevin beacham

kevin beacham New Member

yes, I agree. feel free to remind in cincy. remind me to be "firm" but friendly with them....ha.
    test
  17. EmceeGoddess

ya its much funnier i remember in prelims i think it was last year some guy was done and kev is like OK WHATD U THINK OF MC XYZ and it was dead silent i laughed for 37 minutes straight
    test
  18. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

If the fools that boo are immature enough to boo for no reason, what makes people think they will boo when they're told to stop? That'll probably provoke those immature fucks.

I dunno, its hard to tell a crowd what to do or how to act. I would lay down the rules once, but if u antagonize them by telling them to shutup, they can turn on every battle and boo the whole show.

Kev, I say grow out the bob marley beard and sing a peace song, ha.
    test
  19. Bo-Rat

Bo-Rat New Member

^^^won't happen. the crowd there is pretty respectful and only boos cuz others are booing. domino effect baby. no one's gonna be like, 'man, fuck kevin, i'm gonna boo EVERYONE now'

i think a friendly but firm reminder is the best way to go about things.

really, dead silence is a whoooole lot more effective than a bunch of boos, and it's WAYYY funnier too. emphasize that point.

HOLLA
    test
  20. EmceeGoddess

people get drunk and boo cuz they are fucking morons. u gotta understand these are fucking idiot nerds who only listen to mf doom and aesop rock and shit so they hate on anything that isnt garbage.

borat lets hop on a track fam
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.