science does it again Humans=Offspring of Chimps mating with pigs

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-Extraordinary-claim-American-geneticist.html wrote: The human species began as the hybrid offspring of a male pig and a female chimpanzee, a leading geneticist has suggested.

The startling claim has been made by Eugene McCarthy, of the University of Georgia, who is also one of the worlds leading authorities on hybridisation in animals.

He points out that while humans have many features in common with chimps, we also have a large number of distinguishing characteristics not found in any other primates.

The origin of the species? A remarkable new theory advanced by a leading geneticist suggests that human beings may have originally emerged as the hybrid offspring of a male pig and a female chimpanzee

Dr McCarthy says these divergent characteristics are most likely the result of a hybrid origin at some point far back in human evolutionary history.

What's more, he suggests, there is one animal that has all of the traits which distinguish humans from our primate cousins in the animal kingdom.

'What is this other animal that has all these traits?' he asks rhetorically. 'The answer is Sus scrofa, the ordinary pig.'

Dr McCarthy elaborates his astonishing hypothesis in an article on Macroevolution.net, a website he curates. He is at pains to point out that that it is merely a hypothesis, but he presents compelling evidence to support it.

u heard it here first
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

you mean there was no adam and eve?

or may have that been the names of the chimp and piglet?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

No Adam nor Eve, no Adam and Steve.. :funny:
    test
  4. Craig Ehlo

Craig Ehlo Mark Price's Saviour

test
  5. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

I like how Payback uses some quack geneticist's theory as an indictment against the entire field.
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  6. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

The Daily Mail? Really? You realize they're only slightly above the credibility of The Enquirer or Star right?
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test
  7. PreacherMane

PreacherMane Member

oh really? where the melanin come from then.
    test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i always assumed melons
    test
  9. x calibur

x calibur

I don't see how this is possible. the genomes are too different. even if they could somehow cross-breed, the offspring would be sterile, like mules.
    test
  10. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

the scientist developing this theory actually deals with this objection on his web site. interesting read if nothing else.

http://www.macroevolution.net/human-origins.html#.UqTR6vRDsfw
    test
  11. x calibur

x calibur

interesting defense so far. I'm still not convinced on the viability of hybrid primates - especially when the most recent common ancestor of the animals involved existed 80 million years ago.

also, the Down's Syndrome example is wrong because it neglects to mention that it's caused by an extra chromosome.

there's alot of evidence marshalled here, but still. the whole thing seems like unscientific cherry picking. I won't believe it until I see peer-reviewed genetic findings in support of this.
    test
  12. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

This nigga still at it? Really?
    test
  13. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Knowing nothing of genetics, all I'm going to say is (having not read anything about it yet) the idea alone, that we're a hybrid with pigs, isn't to me as crackpotish as it seems. I base this solely on viewing physical features like our noses. However, I don't why our noses couldn't have evolved to look like they do without hybridisation with pigs. We look a lot like apes, but not much like pigs.
    test
  14. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

[​IMG]
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

i don't know if that makes it impossible for them to cross or not. he makes the claim that distant crosses like this can happen, but i dunno enough about genetics to assess that claim. as far as i can tell the only way to test this specific example is to try to cross the two experimentally. dunno if that will happen due to ethical guidelines.

not gonna lie, the sequencing paragraph confused me. can't imagine how anatomical features are passed from a parent species to a hybrid offspring without resulting in sequencing differences between the offspring and the other parent. as for the down's syndrome example, technically that's not a sequencing difference. it's an extra chromosome with an exact copy of the sequencing from another chromosome.

problem being that as he points out, if multiple generations of back-crossing took place, which is probably necessary to make such a hybrid fertile, then you wouldn't expect to find much if any genetic evidence.
    his claim is that while any one similarity on its own can be explained by coincidence, the proportion of features that distinguish us from other primates which are also similarities with pigs points toward a hybrid origin.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Waiting for @Nu'maaN to share his opinion on this.

In theory, I can see why that reasoning would make sense. Now I feel like I have to schedule some time to read his several page post. It interests me in the same way the two source hypothesis for the gospels Matthew and Luke interests me.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. x calibur

x calibur

unlike macro-evolution, which takes places on long time-scales, hybridization happens in the short term. this should be reproducible in a laboratory through artificial insemination experiments.

I see. kind of confusing.

right, but if so many of our anatomical features are from pigs, I would expect some identifiable genetic markers in spite of this. I'm not an expert, but it seems counter-intuitive.
    test
  18. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

there is still an unknown hominid species in our gene pool...

so we dont know everything... maybe there was pig people?
    test
  19. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i'll be the first to admit i know close to nothing on the origin of species and such.

but, as you said earlier it's not that far-fetched of a theory that we could have evolved from apes.

i don't think my opinion in this matter counts for much, i do know 1 of the 99 names of god is "the evolver".

then again, nobody will ever know a 100% - according to evolution theory, who did the kangaroos evolve from?

:numaan:
    test
  20. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they think kangaroos evolved from south america way back. All types of marsupials and great footed animals there... thats where they come from
    test