Saw Desolation of Smaug

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by KOzS, Jan 3, 2014.

1. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

Yep that's him. And you can make race stereotype comparisons with anything. It's too easy.

You're suggesting that some people are going to the movie to see Legolas? i didn't even know he'd be in. And the Gandalf scenes were amazing. The magic effects were great. I always wondered where he went when the Dwarfs needed him most, now I see that nigga got problems, plus it connected it to LOTR.

And The Hobbit is one book.

Th fuck is wrong with people? Why is the first reaction always hate? Unwarranted at that.
    test
  2. x calibur

x calibur

it was cool. I'm still not sure why Peter Jackson chose to make a trilogy out of a single book, though - it's overkill imo.
    test
  3. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

that wasn't what you asked.
    test
  4. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

You got 3 for 1, what's the problem? Not like they stagnated the story.
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i thought everyone hated legolas cuz orlando bloom is such a puss...

there isnt a single character id go see it for. I wanna see it cuz its a cool story.
    test
  6. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

I said there were cool parts, but the film overall was boring and useless. He didn't need to make it 3 films , because the book with some extra shit thrown in is good enough in 2 movies. I was excited about the trilogy until I saw this one because ultimately nothing happened, with some action scenes thrown in to make it seem interesting.

Looking forward to part 3, but part 2 was nothing but a 2.5 hour interlude
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

truth.

i'm just being a cunt of a critic when i typed my response.

i actually enjoyed going back to middle-earth, it always puts me at ease.

:numaan:
    test
  8. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

Watched (most of) 'An Unexpected Journey' last night, and 'The Desolation Of Smaug' is on stand by.

Found the first hour to be boring, though it picked up. Some interesting parts, fave so far was the fighting rock giants. The bits of humor were good too. I'm enjoying it.
    test
  9. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

thing is, that in 2013 the journey WAS expected.... you know? we all know the story.
    test
  10. x calibur

x calibur

it's not really a problem. it's just that he's maximizing content, when the story + extras could've been told in 2 films imo.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  11. x calibur

x calibur

I think the third film will be good. it's drawing on alot of appendix stuff, and it'll cover both the battle with Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies.

on the other hand, I honestly believe The Hobbit could've been 2 films. there was alot of stuff that was cool/amusing, but didn't advance the plot much at all. chop down the long action scenes with trolls/goblins/spiders etc. unexpected journey and desolation of smaug could've then been crunched down into a single film. this actually would've made alot of sense, since it would've gone full circle from learning about smaug in the beginning to confronting him at the end.
    then the second film could be about the battle with smaug, battle of the five armies, and maybe bump Gandalfs sidequest to here. 2 films, done.

it's just that Peter Jackson always goes completely all-out, as we've seen with the extended versions of LOTR.

eta - before you jump on me, I'm not saying completely remove those scenes. for example, they had to get captured by goblins to set up some important plot points. I'm saying that the fat could've been cut out.
    test
  12. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i already loved the introduction of sauron.

the black misty thing fucking killed it.

:numaan:
    test
  13. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

"There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions.""
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

Which proves my point. You should be angry at the quality, not the quantity. If all you care about is the quantity, why bitch about getting more?

Nice try with the condescending parable, though, big guy.
    test
  15. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Or angry at both. If the quality is bad, why would you also want it to go on for longer? Not to mention that things like structure, pacing, etc. are usually considered integral to good storytelling.

Not sure that quoting a Woody Allen joke is an attempt at being the big guy.
    test
  16. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

Felt like a jab. I'm sure you can see why.

You can be angry at both, but you referenced my reply to which this was the quote:

Then I said he got more, why question it. If you made a TV series from Hemingway's "For sale. baby shoes. Never worn." no one would bitch.
    test
  17. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I'd say my second point addresses that. Just because something is good (or in this case, "cool"/decent), it doesn't necessarily stand that more of it will be a good thing. If I enjoy a meal and then you give me another plateful, I'll end up feeling stuffed and uncomfortabe rather than satisfied. From the little bit I know about film writing, something like pacing is seen as one of the most important parts of it.
    test
  18. x calibur

x calibur

that's why I said it's overkill. the content itself isn't bad, but it becomes a negative when it slows down plot progression. watching the first movie for 2 and a half hours and not getting to Smaug is not satisfying. I got more content, but it's overdone and not concise.

it's not surprising though - Peter Jackson simply can't rein in his work, and the film industry sees more $$$ in 3 movies rather than 2.

it reminds me a little of ice & fire - books 4 and 5 could've easily been a single book with proper editing.
    test