Running outside vs. Running on treadmil

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Hotsauce X, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotsauce X

Hotsauce X New Member

ive always ran outside because i heard it was more beneficial...buut i wanted to know why its better than the treadmil?
    test
  2. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

I use the treadmill....only cause i dont have time to go to the park every morning to run.

I like the treadmill better but the good thing about running outdoors is you dont get bored and you actually are going somewhere as with a treadmill your basically in the same place forever and your mind gets bored fast.
    test
  3. Bonnie Bathory

Bonnie Bathory New Member

it is more beneficial because of the change in terrain and you pay less slightly attention to your effort because of extra sensory stimulation so you may workout harder or longer naturally outdoors... i dont jog but i do like to take long walks outside... i dont use the treadmill though I prefer the ellipticle when inside
    test
  4. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I don't know much about fitness like that, but I could make a few assumptions. For one, the air and wind outside is probably better for your stamina, especially if it is hot outside. I just find that I get tired faster when I am outside, and that means I am working harder. It could be because you are running against the force of the wind and air, even if it's not that strong. I donno for sure though.
    test
  5. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

oddly enough, i read reports that running on the treadmill for long periods can be bad for you... i think it had somthing to do with improper form while running as compared to running outside.

usually i just like to warm up with one of the stair machines (eliptical (sp?)

on, say, an off day treadmill is nice to get my cardio in.

it's basically impossible for me to run outside right now, i'm in AZ.. and during the day it's well over 100 and hot as fuck... i'd have to get up early to get a run outside, and that's just not gonna happen since i need to sleep in peace for many many hours :p
    test
  6. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

With the treadmill what you are talking about only occurs with LOWER BRAND treadmills with no cushion or impact pads...it puts pressure on your hip...so you get weak hip flexors.

but thats only with those cheap treadmills that you buy at sportmart that cost like 500...
    test
  7. doubl3

doubl3 aka AyHay

because the ground isn't moving, so you're doing more work? ..hm.
    test
  8. Flow-Joe

Flow-Joe Annyong!

A lot of people don't run correctly on a treadmill... They basically just jump up and down, while outside you have to expend more energy because you're really running...
    test
  9. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Yes... on a treadmil, you don't need to push off, because the treadmil is pushing off for you. It's like having someone grab your legs and pull them back for you while you walk, instead of you using your muscles to do it.

On the ground, YOU have to push off, since the ground isn't moving under you. This means you use your hamstring and glutes more than you would on a treadmil, making cardio on earth, more intense than on a treadmil.
    test
  10. chickenwang

chickenwang (the) state of the art

i cant imagine running anywhere else but the beach
    test
  11. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

What muscles are most important for running fast?
    test
  12. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

While each muscles are important in their own right and considering technique plays a crucial part in speed I'd say the most important groups of muscles for sprinting is the posterior chain and the core muscles.

For the reason being:

Core muscle- (abs, chest, shoulders, hips)
    Sixty percent of your body's overall power is supplied by your core muscles. Core muscle basically act like phone lines transfer power from one part of the body to another allowing your body to work as a unison when sprinting. Also the front deltoid (shoulder/ core muscle) controls arm movement. Your legs can only goes as fast as your arms. Hip Flexors (part of the core muscles) Often ignored play a critical role. They increase knee flexion and transfer the power you generate in a sprint towards the ground- propelling you forward.

[​IMG]

Posterior chain- (the glutes (butt), hamstrings, and lower back)
    Provide the major "torque-producing capacity" or explosiveness of the body during a sprint. Basically you need powerful hamstrings to run fast. It is said that Ben johnson (an olympic spinter) exerted enough power in each stride to light up a city block.
    I also heard from a personal training of Michael Johnson's that his hamstring felt like a bedrock.... just densely pack muscle. Hamstirngs is muscle you use the most in a sprint which is why you hear of alot of hamstring tears in athletes, especially sprinters.

[​IMG]
    test
  13. sketch566

sketch566 New Member

Running outside is more enjoyable...but the treadmill is actually healthier.
    The main reason is the treadmill cushions your impact...waaay better than the hard pavement. Less impact and strain on your knees and back.
    Secondly, the treadmill forces you to run at the pace you set it, where as running outside it's easier to lighten up and half your efforts.
    test
  14. J o o k

J o o k Guest

lol duh this is about the best answer i've seen, and we had some really intricate replies.
    test
  15. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I just jog on the spot for about 15 minutes after I've used the bag.

I do cycle once or twice a week and I'd never dream of doing that indoors. All the 'programes' in the world wont make up for a good work out if you go riding in an ever changing terrain.
    test
  16. doubl3

doubl3 aka AyHay

Yea dude, lol, it was a rhetorical question anyways, thought it was obvious but hey!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.