[RULES] Official Rules and Stipulations

Discussion in 'Rapmusic.com Battle League' started by Quriosity, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

[​IMG]

DEADLINES

[01] - The deadline for verses is Friday @ 11:59pm EST.
    [02] - The deadline for extensions is 24 hours ONLY, making it Saturday @ 11:59pm EST.
    [03] - The deadline for voting is Sunday @ 11:59pm EST.

DEADLINE STIPULATIONS

Extensions may only be granted if (1) an extension has been requested before a verse has been posted by either competitor, or if (2) a competitor has posted a verse and has allowed the extension of his opponent.

If an extension has been granted, it will override the deadline for both competitors.

No-shows will be treated as losses in favor of the guilty party, and victims will advance accordingly, assuming that no other rules have been breached.

A failure to meet either deadline [01] or [02] will be deemed a no-show, and the guilty party will be deleted from upcoming rankings.

A breach in deadline [01] within a 5 minute window that has not been noticed by moderation must be reported to an active moderator via private message before Friday 11:59PM EST or it will be deemed valid and voting will commence. Therefore, reports received after Friday will be ignored.

Any breach outside of that 5 minute window will be automatically void, and the thread will be closed regardless of time of notice.

Championship matches will not be decided by way of no-show, and instead, the #1 seed will compete as a contender until the title has been rightfully earned.

Repeat offenders of either deadline shall be suspended as seen fit.

VOTING

[04] - You must post at least 5 valid voting links within your match.
    [05] - Within those 5 links, you must be sure to vote on both the Championship and Contender matches.
    [06] - Votes must be at least 2 full lines of feedback per competitor followed by the competitor's name in which you choose to vote for.
    [07] - Voting a tie result is deemed a failure to vote.
    [08] - Voting links must be posted in your battle thread with the Champ and Contender matches labeled clearly.
    [09] - Votes changed after 1 hour of posting will be deemed a failure to vote.
    [10] - Voting is open to current participants, past champions, and active RBL moderators ONLY.​

VOTING STIPULATIONS

It is preferred that voting links be edited within your earliest post.

A failure to post the required amount of links will result in a deduction of votes or a loss if no voting links are givin.

A vote must contain at least two lines of sufficient feedback per each verse, which does not include only the quoting of lines. However, the quoting and breaking down of each individual bar is deemed valid as well as the quoting of favorite bars followed by an explanation.

Any vote cast after deadline [03] will be deemed invalid, and will be deducted from the amount of voting links as well as the thread in which the vote was cast.

Any vote not meeting the rule [06] will be deemed invalid, and will be deducted from the amount of voting links as well as the thread in which the vote was cast.

If your opponent fails to show, you are still required to vote on and post 5 links.

All links shall be posted in your match. All no-show links shall be posted in the provided thread.

Past champions must vote on at least 5 matches, and post links in the provided thread. Otherwise, votes will be deemed invalid.

VERSES

[11] - All verses are to remain within the limits of 8 to 30 lines. Contender/Champion match verses are to remain within the limits of 8 to 40 lines. Any breach of line limit must be agreed upon by both competitors prior to a verse being posted. Failure to comply will result in an automatic forfeit by all failing parties.
    [12] - An agreement of a line limit will serve as the maximum allowed; competitors are allowed to post under an agreed limit, but never over. An agreement is not required. Upon failure to agree to a line limit, the second competitor is thereby required to meet the limit set by the first competitor to post.
    [13] - You must not edit your verse once your opponent has posted, who in turn must not edit their verse after the first vote is cast.

VERSE STIPULATIONS

A failure to meet the minimum amount of lines required as discussed in rule [11] will be deemed a no-show.

A verse may only exceed the maximum amount of lines allowed as discussed in rule [11] if both competitors have agreed prior to a verse being posted. Without the opponent’s consent, the guilty party will be deducted 1 vote per 2 lines (or bar).

MISCELLANEOUS

[14] - Recycling is strictly forbidden.
    [15] - Multiple no-shows shall be subject to suspension as seen fit.
    [16] - The blatant flipping of lines is extremely frowned upon.
    [17] - The blatant swaying of votes is extremely frowned upon.
    [18] - Feeding off an opponent’s verse is extremely frowned upon.

MISCELLANEOUS STIPULATIONS

If your verse, or a part of your verse, is proven to be recycled, it will be deemed a no-show.

However, if a part of your verse is proven to be a flip, no disciplinary action by way of moderation will be taken unless deemed necessary.

The swaying of votes, if blatantly obvious, shall result in disqualification if deemed necessary.

Swaying shall be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. This is due to the extreme difficulty in proving the validity of such vague claims; however, if found to be blatantly obvious, proper action shall be taken.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Please note that amendments shall be made by moderation as seen fit.
    If for any reason a questions arises, please do not hesitate to contact a
    moderator to avoid tedious rule breaches.

MODERATOR AIM INFO

Xquisite - XquisiteRBL (Aim) or Xquisite@hotmail.com

test
  2. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

AMENDMENTS

New Voting Rules

Because I intend to enforce the standing rules to their full extent in due time, I feel the need to address the situation of winning by technicality.

My intentions are not to reward losers who follow rules and punish winners who violate them, but to motivate you all to challenge yourselves week in and week out and actually help in the growth of this league.

Voting is a huge issue, and always has been. I found it hard to believe that you can not write a full 2 lines pertaining to each verse in at least 5 matches. However, many of you find ways each week to do so. This will not be tolerated as it offers little criticism/feedback for writers to take in and more often than not it reflects the opinions of other votes which leads some to believe that one did not even read the verses. Because this is impossible to prove over the internet, I have chosen to reward those that follow rules and punish those that violate them, while not punishing the winners and/or losers.

My plan is this:

For every vote in your match in your favor found to be invalid, it will be deducted from the total vote tally of that match as well as the total link tally of that voter. By this, I mean that you will lose votes in favor of you for each vote found to be invalid and that voter will lose links within his match which will result in a loss of votes from his total vote tally.

By the match’s end, a total vote tally and a technical vote tally will be displayed.

All who win by votes, but lose due to a technicality will have an L tacked to their record and advance accordingly. This L will be displayed in a new Technical Loss column (i.e., 10-3-1 translates as 10 wins and 3 losses with 1 due to technicality).

When a competitor reaches a total of 3 technicality decisions, he/she will be banned for 3 weeks of competition. In order to erase a loss due to technicality, a voter must vote on at least 10 matches (double the requirement) when available to do so. A competitor can only erase 1 technical loss per week.

All who win due to a technical loss will have an L tacked to their record and fall in ranks accordingly.​

This rule shall apply to no-shows and shall not apply to a vote loss due to an extension.

Hopefully, this will encourage all to vote and post links, as well as to actually compete and put forth effort rather than reaching for wins due to technicality.

5-0 Skunk

Keeping with tradition, I have chosen the lucky number 6. My reasoning is that many battles are flooded with votes due to either an easy decision based on length or difference in talent or by reputation/popularity while others are overlooked either because the competitors are unknown/untalented or the verses are long as fuck. The votes need to spread evenly in order for the entire league to push forward.

Because of this, any match with a 6 vote deficit will be closed and decided. This shall eliminate the problem while not eliminating the opportunity of a comeback.

Extensions Penalized

I have been playing with the idea of extending the week to make for a full work’s week of time to construct verses. Currently, I am unsold on the idea; however it is a very strong option. Until then, and even after, an extension will only be granted for up to 24 hours and must be either requested before an opponent has posted a verse or cleared by that opponent. Any extension past 24 hours will result in a 3 vote automatic deduction and must be cleared by an opponent in writing and delivered to my P/M Box accompanied by a verse no later than 11:59PM Saturday. This is the responsibility of the party in need of an extension.

THIS JUST IN!

Competitor’s are not allowed to remove verses, ESPECIALLY after the match has been closed. In the rules, it is clearly outlined that a valid verse must remain in order to be considered for a win. The removal of a verse only enables the competitor to recycle from that verse which is highly prohibited.

You may only edit a verse if it falls under the rules to do so, meaning if another verse hasn’t been posted and or you posted second and a vote has not been cast. However, a valid verse must still remain. Under no circumstances will you be allowed to remove a verse from a thread that has been closed.[/FONT]
    test
  3. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

SKUNK RULE AMENDMENT

If you have won your match by way of skunk and i have failed to close it, feel free to post the score count. Otherwise, voting will continue until noticed.

Again, the skunk rule is for any match in which there is a 5 vote difference. Thus, the competitor with the higher vote count wins their match by way skunk. This rule does not apply to Spotlight Matches, Championship Matches, or Contender Matches. It does apply to any other match outside of the above mentioned, including Grudge Matches.

Thank you,
    Q.

RULE CHANGES & ADJUSTMENTS
    Effective as of April 27, 2009

There are many inconsistencies in rulings due to many recent attempts by myself to elect a successor and hand over my moderation duties. I did not agree or cosign with this changes then and I do not intend to. Because of this, I feel it is time that I reverse these minor changes back to the original rulings which I had established over the past year of competition. Rulings to be discussed include picture rules, line limit rulings, and a new change in deadlines. Please review these rules. It is expected that you abide by them immediately, though disciplinary action as a result of a failure to comply with these rules will not be taken until the next week of competition.

1. Picture Rule

Pictures available to a competitor, may be used only if agreed upon.

I'm changing this rule because I find it unethical in battling because it gives one competitor an edge. However, If one competitor has permision to use a picture they are not obligated to return the favor if agreed upon.

2. Line Limit Rule

An agreement of a line limit will serve as the maximum allowed; competitors are allowed to post under an agreed limit, but never over. An agreement is not required.

The second competitor must match or post less than the first competitor, but in no case can the second competitor exceed the first competitor.

3. Deadline

The deadline for verses is Friday @ 10:59pm EST.
    The deadline for extensions is 24 hours ONLY, making it Saturday @ 10:59pm EST.
    The deadline for voting is Monday @ 12:59am EST.

I have decide to extend the voting deadlines to match the recent verse deadline adjustment. Now that verses are due Friday and extensions end Saturday, voting has been light and the time allowed to vote may be the cause. I have decided to extend voting until Monday at 12:59 AM EST. I will adjust all deadline posting to reflect this as well as other timezones. The time is inconsistent with the other deadlines (10:59 PM) but should serve well. It gives extra time for votes as well as extra time for verses and fits my current schedule well.

Note that all deadlines are subject to change in coming months due to changes in my schedule. I expect to appoint a successor, most likely Xquisite, in which case most deadlines would reflect first his schedule and then the preferred schedule of the league. If at any time the changes in schedules appear to present a problem to the majority of the league, corrective actions will be taken.
    test
  4. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

[ATTN] Rule Changes/Adjustments - Effective Immediately!

Effective as of April 27, 2009

There are many inconsistencies in rulings due to many recent attempts by myself to elect a successor and hand over my moderation duties. I did not agree or cosign with this changes then and I do not intend to. Because of this, I feel it is time that I reverse these minor changes back to the original rulings which I had established over the past year of competition. Rulings to be discussed include picture rules, line limit rulings, and a new change in deadlines. Please review these rules. It is expected that you abide by them immediately, though disciplinary action as a result of a failure to comply with these rules will not be taken until the next week of competition.

1. Picture Rule

Pictures, or any other material available to a competitor, may be used and should be expected to be used regardless of the consent of an opponent.

Traditionally, it has been accepted and understood that a competitor can not post a picture or use a picture as material without the opponent's consent. This rule is both ridiculous and limits the amount of fresh material used in general. There are several reasons that have influenced my, once again, reversal of this rule and I urge you all to consider with an open mind the advantages of such a rules. The only disadvantage is that the opponent may have better material. In my opinion, this is is purely your fault for putting your life on the internet. Also, pictures play out quickly and the same picture has maybe a two battle lifespan. For these reasons allow, I see no disadvantage worthy of keeping this rule in tact. Possible advantages include fresher material, more material, more completed matches, and more excitement in battling. My vision for this league is a bit more ruthless and less structured that it has always been. These are battles, not friendly engagements. I have been criticized and ridiculed in the form of a punch for nearly everything that I have said on this board. There is no difference in dissing my wife and family or my glasses and big head. It's all the same.

However, if both opponents agree to not use pictures, then this agreement is binding.

2. Line Limit Rule

An agreement of a line limit will serve as the maximum allowed; competitors are allowed to post under an agreed limit, but never over. An agreement is not required. Upon failure to agree to a line limit, the second competitor is thereby required to meet the limit set by the first competitor to post.

Again, it has been traditionally accepted that the second to post must match the amount of lines posted by the first competitor, regardless of previous agreements of line limits. This is extremely ridiculous in my opinion and can be used in ways that give the first opponent an unfair advantage. Consider a match in which both competitors have agreed to post 40 lines. Both competitors then elect to wait until near deadline to post so as not to give the other an advantage. The first to show only posts 8 lines, the minimum allowed. Now, the other must pick the best 8 to match this within minutes or forfeit the match. Another scenario, and more damaging, is one in which both competitors agree to only post 12 lines. The first to show decides to post 30 lines, the maximum allowed, and now the second must write an extra 18 lines within minutes or post a 12 to his opponent's 30. To rid these unforeseen advantages, it is only fair that opponents be given the right to agree to a line limit. Any agreement is therefore binding and if the competitors fail to agree to a limit, only then is the second competitor required to match the limit of the first to post.

3. Deadline

The deadline for verses is Friday @ 11:59pm EST.
    The deadline for extensions is 24 hours ONLY, making it Saturday @ 11:59pm EST.
    The deadline for voting is Sunday @ 11:59am EST.

Now that I (Xquisite) am closing and opening threads...these times are more convientant for me and should be alot more familiar with you guys.
    test
  5. Xquisite

Xquisite Guest

SKUNK RULE AMENDMENT

If you have won your match by way of skunk and i have failed to close it, feel free to post the score count. Otherwise, voting will continue until noticed.

Again, the skunk rule is for any match in which there is a 5 vote difference. Thus, the competitor with the higher vote count wins their match by way skunk. This rule does not apply to Spotlight Matches, Championship Matches, or Contender Matches. It does apply to any other match outside of the above mentioned, including Grudge Matches.

Thank you

Effective as of June 23, 2009

I and Oneduh have agreed to make slight changes that we feel are more beneficial for the league. There has been too much confusion and constant bickering of certain rules so we have decided to change it for our like as well as yours.

1. Picture Rule

Pictures available to a competitor, may be used only if agreed upon.

I'm changing this rule because I find it unethical in battling because it gives one competitor an edge. However, If one competitor has permision to use a picture they are not obligated to return the favor if agreed upon.

2. Line Limit Rule

An agreement of a line limit will serve as the maximum allowed; competitors are allowed to post under an agreed limit, but never over. An agreement is not required.

The second competitor must match or post less than the first competitor, but in no case can the second competitor exceed the first competitor.

3. Deadline

The deadline for verses is Friday @ 11:59pm EST.
    The deadline for extensions is 24 hours ONLY, making it Saturday @ 11:59pm EST.
    The deadline for voting is Sunday @ 11:59am EST..

We have decided to go back to the more traditional approach for deadlines...we find it to be less complicated and It fits my schedule better to open and close threads at these times.​
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.