[RSTL] Update

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Shadow, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

line limits, and topic restrictions. This will improve writing and voting and league turnover.

But you are the boss and I'll live with what you decide.
    test
  2. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

It's hard to take someone who complains about everything seriously tho. The people in the league usually no show if they are 'restricted'
    test
  3. Coup d'état

LOL I complain about everything ? I'm just trying to offer up some different angles that may help.
    test
  4. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I never mentioned your name Coup. It was a general comment. You know full well who i'm referring too when it comes to this
    test
  5. Coup d'état

hahah yeah, my bad

You guys are doing a great job keeping the league up, I don't want to take away anything from that.
    test
  6. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

test
  7. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Same shit, different day homie.

One more semester till law school.

BTW, I am VEHEMENTLY against lowering the line limit.
    test
  8. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Anaphora has it right. 16 weeks is perfect then 4 weeks of tourny and then 2 weeks off and then back to it.
    test
  9. Coup d'état

Word fam,

Good luck with finishing up your buisness...you've been in the books, in the classroom and your brain is probably warmed up to drop some great verses...must say I'm looking forward to reading and voting on your battles bro....this should be a great season with some real talent. No hate, just giving ya props.

Peace

@MODs

If yall need anyone to help with a mag section or just anything to lighten your load, let me know...I've helped in the past and would be glad to help yall again...
    test
  10. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

If you need 60 10-16 syllabic lines to POSSIBLY tell a story then you've truly embraced Sole's I don't rap in bumper stickers motto, but also I think your lines could use a lot of tightening. I haven't been active in awhile on rstl but I too have experienced academia and it's not so great. RSTL is a release of frustration if nothing else.

People will no show unless you get a slightly more real prize. $50 is enough for a random head or a starving writer, but for a serious writer to give it his solid 3-4 hours a week for 5 months that's meager, and only even possible if you manage to cull the favor of kids from Iowa who use 'trill' in their verses enough to garner their vote... But I digress...

I also love the guy who quoted someone, then tried to say 'I didn't say I'm talking about you, brah' hahaha. It does make me worry a little that my subtleties will be missed when it comes to voting though...
    test
  11. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

woooow, i completely didnt see this thread until right now.

im against lowering the line limits. there are people who can write an entire story in 24 lines(Coup, Cigma). I'm one of those people who usually use all 64, after cutting shit out, lol. but im open to what you guys want. maybe we should make a poll?

what we can also do is have weeks where the limit is 32 lines, or something. like every month have a 32 line week.

im good with either format suggested by Shadow or Formal. last season made me realize just how long 52 weeks really is. and i know it killed shadow lol. lemme know what everyone thinks. would you rather do 16 weeks or 22?
    test
  12. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

The higher line limit should be a combination of a reward and a gesture of faith that the people in the top 4 positions know how to manage their words yet still need more room to fully round out their verses.

Maybe it's changed, but in my time in RSTL this was the general structure of the average non-experienced verse (and half of the more experienced verses) line-rhyme//line-setup//line rhyme//line followup. Not all triumphs are triumphs, and those allotments should be only made to people who've demonstrated the ability to not waste their words.

While I don't believe nom is about to drown in a river offering the moon a drink, Charles Simic's "Watermelons" would beat at least half of the rstl verses I've read based on a combination of utility and audacity. And even then, within these confines, it'd win by the default line of shitty combinations of words.

But times are changing and I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.
    test
  13. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I was brain dead dude....that's how bad it was lol
    test
  14. nomford

nomford New Member

i'd not read watermelons before. i'm glad i have.
    test
  15. nomford

nomford New Member

on the note of short poems. here's a little ditty i wrote a while back, just made me remember.

Cinderella ate the pumpkin
    Stayed a pauper past dawn,
    As the Prince danced
    And laughed at the little girl
    She had become.
    test
  16. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

32 is definitely a low limit. I'd say something between 40 and 46 for non-proven top tier (1-4, 1-6 whatever), for those top tier maybe up to 54, but in that many weeks, even 54 is likely spending too much time on setup and could use a few fewer phrasal verbs.
    test
  17. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

sup anaphora

loved your rear-view mirror verse@PR
    test
  18. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Hell Ill drop $200 if it means people will bring back real writing to this site.
    test
  19. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

If you had a $200 prize and spread the word to old heads like WWW, RC, Mac, as well as the tons of others, at least a few will be bored/hurting for money enough to come play let's rhyme around the campfire and tell stories. I'm a little of column a and a little of column b, and $200 would likely keep my interest a little more sharply on showing up on time.

Something about votes should be in there too, like, you have to really make it known that you actually read through the whole verse and didn't just lightly skim the end rhymes to get in your votes quick. Not saying they have to be long, but a 3 line vote can be precise enough to show that. Maybe 5 line minimum with 2 of them allowed to be a quote. That may already be in the rules, haven't been around in a minute, but I know bullshit votes always made me angry because all but the obvious is missed and "I don't rap in bumper stickers, I'm witty in 40-liners."

If voting is over the weekend maybe allow monday as well. Some people have very hectic weekends/go out of town and sometimes there aren't any finished matches a day or so before the due date. It'd be really sweet if this got big again.
    test
  20. Coup d'état

anaphora, voting has been an issue in the past season. There has been an update in the rule book that lays out clearly how to vote to show that a head did in fact evaluate a verse properly.

enforcing that is another story. For the most part the people who show more than 2 weeks in a row usually show each other respect and give to voting to the best they can...my votes are usually several paragraphs.

just some thoughts
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.