RSTL Tribune : Top 20 Special

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Omen, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Intro
    Hello everyone. Another week to kick off and its one more before the tourney starts. Now I know we may not exactly have 64 people signed in who have paid. But that’s okay because in the end we’re just going to go with who has paid and work the brackets that way. It’s the only fair thing we feel to do. Anyways, I’ll stop boring you because you know how it goes already and I need to study some more for sociology. G’Luck to everyone this week and in the future.
    Forming Low
    By: 6ft Deep
    I’m pretty pompous but not silly enough to give this article a title. Let’s just say it’s about being in low form.

Every now and then, we all enter a small, or not so small trough in our performance. Whether that originates from problems in life which occupy our attention (as they rightfully should); we’re simply staring blankly with no clue how to continue a verse, or how to begin even.

What to do? What to do! You scratch your head, down a bottle of beer, some juice, light a joint. Still no ideas… Last week’s verse wasn’t that good either. The week before that? Your memories are murky but a sneaky suspi(on is creeping in, that verse wasn’t that great either. It’s starting to dawn on you, this is something chronic and you need a medicine.

You can take some time off. Do completely different things. Subconsciously you start to regenerate your writer’s creativity tank or whatever you wanna call it. That centre in your being responsible for coming up with the stuff you so desperately need in order to put out your best work.

You can ask around, if you aren’t too thick skinned, thick headed, and thick ego’ed. People can give you valuable insight because *surprise* they have an outsider’s view. If you go this route, beware not to take everything at face value. Granted you’re in a low point and you can use the help, doesn’t mean everyone’s opinion is worthy of your time, and most definitely doesn’t mean you’re losing stature. You just need some time.

The third option, which I pick nine out of ten times in my own personal battle against such moments, is pushing through. It’s like when in your busy every day life you feel a little off and contemplate the possibility you might be sick and might be in need of some rest and care-taking. You know you can’t afford to stand still because everything is slipping if you do, so you just dress warm and sweat through it. That’s my own theory on this but it works for me.

You’re virtually constipated, and there are few joys on Earth that can compare with breaking through that constipation.​
    test
  2. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Top 3 Matches

15. Rikoshay 4-0 vs. 16. Son of Sadaam 32-14
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=855403

In terms of great verses this battle was average, but in terms of two people evenly matched up against each other this was a good one. Votes really do no justice, but Im here to do what votes didn’t. Riko, the new hype of the league wrote a good story, with solid details. Though he lacks that “thing” to put him over the top. Riko had a pretty well written story, but in certain parts he was vague, leaving the reader hanging. Momma took the approach of writing a societal satire, which he did pretty well. Other than some weird wording, he had a good verse. Touching on the realistic evil we have today. Although vague it suited him well. In the end though voters liked Rikoshay’s story, but I say this battle should have been closer.

Winner - Rikoshay

23. Saga 2-0 vs. 24. Author Unknown 2-0
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=855397

This battle was the best battle outside of top 20 with no competition. Saga a well known writer, verse Author Unknown, the well unknown writer. Both wrote pretty damn well this week. Saga taking the storyteller side, and AU taking the topical approach, and each did a good job with their own niche. Saga brought a great story, with good details, imagery, and a plot that was original and moving. Author had the more vague yet purposeful verse, that reminds readers of the like of Talent, Vern, and others. Though Author became a little too vague at times, he managed to impress me and others. And what was a very close battle and very close result occurred. Author came out with the win, getting 1 more vote than Saga.

Winner - Author Unknown

Champions Match: 1. Tha Talent 62-18 vs. 2. Erykah Caine 22-8
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=855410

Once again the Champ Match is the top match. But come on, why shouldn’t it be? EC came with her guns out to try and shot down Talent, the 3 weeks reigning champ. And most would say EC came close to doing so. Talent seemed a bit pretentious this week, maybe letting his top spot get to him, and he dropped a verse just good enough. EC wrote a good verse as well, with great emotion, and great character. But as much as EC is a great writer, she doesn’t have the experience that Talent does. But we should all give her a round of applause for keeping this battle close. I personally thought she had no chance, but she proved me and many other people wrong. In the end though Talent showed his experience and his porous.

Winner - Talent
    Top 5 Stanza’s

5. As the earth spins I burst pens - hurtin' friends as this verse ends
    such a perverse sin when I curse men with a light so radiant
    it just might by gradients cause my favorites
    to kick the bucket
    when I kick this rhyme
    kiss my mother then kiss you goodbye
    and you might catch me stu- stu- stutterin' through this track
    as the voices in my brain mutter useless facts
    I'm just a dumb starvin' artist
    but whenever I grab a mic - I'll always come my hardest
    put my tongue where my heart is
    these words - they.. pour from my soul
    leave me sore, numb an cold
    that's why I hoard em' like gold
    an I swore one oath
    to go to war with the host

- SMZ aka Nephil

4. from the heavens the creator forms a blue-print-to life
    a move-ment-unlike any you-can-apply
    a new-scent-supplied by a zues-within-time
    he produced-him-then died due to new-sins-contrived
    such a nui-sance-devised through this eu-rhythmic-vibe
    a pollution-outlined as the fruit-went-inside
    an EVE to destruction, she was who-dent-our lives
    miscontrued-scripted-lines...see the proof-didn't-lie
    introduced-to-our minds...was a group of seven sins
    a benevolent arrangement of debate that's evident
    to become the leading factor to the flaws that heaven sent
    into hell to get, dispersed through earth and curse pedestrians
    it's the devil grip which holds us, yet, it seems irrelevant
    cause god created sets of men, and we were quick to set up sins
    lets begin with every whim and contradicted testament
    in better tense, basically our fate creating pestilence

- Doyen

3. And, why?, was the question that beckoned
    My innermost essence, weary eyes etch tears when untended
    In the light shadowed by my condemnation misplacement
    I long for god and I to be adjacent, but I was faced with
    With my own fingers pointed, told my life is anointed
    Now I’m Judas; head hung in utter disappointment
    On the path yet to be walked knowing the cost
    I wore a crown of pride showcasing my flaws
    But I grasp onto grace what I lack in was faith
    To life to its lengths, and ask God for his strength

- Author Unkown

2. i still see my dead brother in my dreams in the rare moment i can actually sleep
    lying next to my angelic wife and god's still laughing at me
    i never saw the need to to stay in school, played it cool, broke the limits
    they used to say i wore a street grin but a gutter grimace
    didn't thug for gimics, i wore the tims and lugged a switch just
    because i felt like i needed something to cuddle when times were rough and violence hit us
    see i've never wanted anything more in life
    than a smile and a witness
    to let the world know that for once, i finally did it
    darkness is a state of mind, i find it livid
    and i'll be searching for a sign until i'm a mindless victim
    it seems my thoughts are lost somewhere between two metal blocks that press my skull
    i'm about to end it, though
    but didn't this verse start off talking in the hypothetical?

- Talent

1. You never had to paddle down this sea of torment grief and dormant dreams…
    Morbid scenes beget these horrid screams of sordid things as they courted he …
    u deserted me contorted to a lingering deity hid in imported genes while cops swinged…
    skin decorated wit knuckle chronicles, seperated blood from the very veins that bottle thee …
    u were the closest but never provided solace from the violence only gave me silence…
    Why do you ignore the stars writings & just follow me to destruction I need guidance….

- Erykah Caine​
    test
  3. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Top 20 Countdown
    ChampionShip:
    1. Talent 63-18 vs 2. Dicenyaeye 21-4
    Talent is 3 times the victor and just over 2 times the champ that is Dicenyaeye, with that said Talent is the clear favourite to win this battle. However, I don’t believe this is as clear cut as logic would like it to be. Dic has spent the past 5 months proving he is a tough puppy to put down and last week was no difference as he disposed of backgammon with a nice verse which, while not being his best, showcased what makes him a two time champ. Some nice graphic and colourful descriptions through out his piece, which almost made you wonder if this was for our eyes at all. The imagery was as always supported by some strong writing which really conveyed the actions, actions which had quite simple and relatable consequences. His use of the topic was kind of questionable and loose but still, it was clear what relation there was between the two and how the topic was taken and expanded upon. I wouldn’t brand it a brilliant competitive match but his all made for a very good read indeed. Talent is fresh from another title defence, slapping away the not so easy Erykah Caine in a rather sadistic match as far as how close she was in beating Talent mixed with the su~~~~ion Talent wasn’t trying all too hard. Whether it was because he wasn’t trying or he wasn’t focused he made a few sometimes fatal mistakes in his wording, I say fatal because a lot of the time the point he makes is often tied up in the wording. He made his point and used the quote quite effectively. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t that his verse was tragically crap, it just seemed to lack in areas he usually seems so well finished with. That being said, he’ll have to make it up this week as last time these two met it was a side scrapping 4 all finish and Dic is just waiting for his chance to kill a legend if it will put his critics to rest… Match of the week.

ContenderShip:
    3. Doyen 18-2 vs 4. Formal Logic 28-12
    A some what one sided match, harsh but true. Formal Logic promised us last week nothing but brilliance this week after cutting himself too little time to grow his magic beans last week. If he does come through on this he could prove me wrong and make this close or even take it. Sadly unless he does he really is laying on some concrete with a lot of weight on top of him. Vern is… what 6,7,8 time champ? Admittedly Vern doesn’t seem that focused lately, which Formal could play on. Vern, last week came rushing through a match with a semi absent iLLweeZy with a nice verse, nice imagery and potent word choice, flow was… well flows a given now anyway and the take on the topic was nice, wasn’t really pushed the way I was expecting it to be, may be he was catering for the already rattled opposition. A win maybe ruled out for Formal but he can still do damage when he puts his mind to it and hopefully Vern wont distract him like he obviously did WeeZy.

5. Anaphora 24-10 vs 6. 6ft Deep 14-4
    This could be another strong match this week. 6ft came rather lacklustre last week to be honest but still that was and should be a one off which will make this is an even match. The more I think about it the more even it gets. Anaphora can sometimes get caught in the rain in the way he goes too deep and manages to stray from the apparent purpose of his verse but saying that, like 6fts ‘eh’ show last week it isn’t a chronic problem. The only thing that could tip this in Anaphora’s favour is last weeks verse and the fact he is coming off the back of a more encouraging win than 6ft is. If Dic and Talent fail to put on a good match I can easily see this as match of the week.

7. Noib Da Mutt 23-8 vs 8. Rikoshay 5-0
    This again could be quite a nice match. Riko wants what Noibs got and thus far is storming towards it, the title hall that is. Noib, I can’t honestly remember how well he was doing when he was last in, it has been a while but I think that might have been when he captured the title and Ironically it’s some one memorable… I’ll have to look it up and edit it in… Anyway, Riko, well he is kind of putting some value into his ego after last week, coming from some one who hates to be seen with one I think that’s significant. Anyway, should be a close match and once again, thinking about it, it could be quite a nice match if Noib is still up to it. Noib, just think of what Nique might say if you loose ;)

9. Erykah Caine 22-9 vs 10. Space Bar 6-1
    Space bar aint having a lot of luck in the top twenty. It wasn’t that long ago he got belittled by Vern. Erykah, despite her loss is on a roll at the moment and I honestly cant see this being any different than it looks.

11. BlackGammon 10-6 vs 12. Seyance 4-0
    Black had a disappointing week last week with his topic take. Writing was there so there is no serious loss, but from what I’ve seen Sey is quite nice with it. More ‘original’ than black anyway and black originatly or lack there of being the reason he lost last wee… Sey could start his top 10 campaign next week…

13. iLLWeezy 24-9 vs 14. Insense 13-4
    I think, if WeeZy gets off his ass and writes anything, he should take this. But like he said, he isn’t as into this lark no more… may be it would help if he saved himself for RM.com and not TR.com… No offence to Insense, WeeZy just… what’s the new word for it… ah, outclasses you. 

15. TekNeek 48-16 vs 16. Kaybi 16-11
    Tek’s decided to suck again to be blunt. Trying other styles when he shouldn’t be. Apparently the past 5 looses told him nothing. Eh, I’ve said it once million times… Anyway, Kaybi came supprising last week, infact if he had put more into his verse, length wise he really could have been on to something. He has always been slept on as it is, hopefully that should shake a few people. I could be a bit too optimistic but I see him taking this…

17. CogzWell 6-2 vs 18. Author Unknown 3-0
    Don’t know either enough to comment.

19. Wise-Punchlines 13-6 vs 20. Omega 3-0
    Wise still seems to be struggling but I cant see him loosing this… and that’s word.
    test
  4. GammoN

GammoN Sole Survivor of the DOJO

props on the mag..
    test
  5. Pro-deuce

Pro-deuce Guest

good shit....

back to rsTL full time
    test
  6. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

word good stuff
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

test
  8. iLLweezy

iLLweezy ILLWeeMaN

It's true. I'ma get back into this shit. I have to try to win a fuckin' title..

iLL Mag, though, onthe real.. I enjoyed it.

Word up
    test
  9. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

Nice maggy.
    test
  10. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

cool shit...
    test
  11. dicnyaeye

dicnyaeye Guest

Nice lil article 6ft, I agree and I think you have to be your own worst critic to truly rise over your obstacles.

Great stanzas and nice nice top 20 breakdown. I haven't been in the top 5 stanzas yet have I? hhmmm, time to change that
    test
  12. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Who did the top 20 countdown?
    test
  13. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

lol

a lot of 2 word responses

and dic, that can't be, can it?
    test
  14. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

*Hides Behind curtain*

Though I coulda sworn I wrote about anticipating your 2nd installment of your work.
    test
  15. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer no ESCAPE

great read guys i really enjoyed this one...

the breakdowns on everything where so indepth.

keep it up
    test
  16. SMZ aka Nephil

SMZ aka Nephil New Member

good ish

an wow - somebody liked my stuff - now I feel bad about this weeks verse...
    test
  17. RIKOSHAY

RIKOSHAY New Member

I wish I'd have read your verse last week before anyone else had replied. I'd have given you the breakdown it deserved and my vote, which might have swayed things a bit differently. Unfortunately, by the time I read it, you were shut out.
    PEA
    test
  18. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

test
  19. .Malicious.

.Malicious. New Member

Ok mag ^ why dont you join the league
    test
  20. .Malicious.

.Malicious. New Member

Ok mag ^ why dont you join the league