RSTL Tribune: The Issues With Talent

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Omen, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

[​IMG]

Intro
    Yeah…back for another round. This weeks Tribune might just be a little smaller then the rest. Due to the holidays that can be expected. Not to mention since we only had four matches last week some parts were difficult to do. No worries though they will be back next week in full effect.
    What To Write
    By: 6FT Deep
    What to write about and what NOT to write about.

See this here is purely MY own subjective view on what should be written about, based on MY personal tastes. So if you don’t respect my style, move on, or stay and learn a little proper English.

There are several general topic groups available to RSTL writers. These can be summed up in 4 groups.

SOB STORY

these get so much love in the RSTL, it’s unreal. Write about a car wreck where your character loses his family and you got at least 2 guaranteed votes, and I’m not even talking ‘write your sob story WELL’

- the “I grew up in the ghetto, my mom was a crack addict, don’t know who my father was” story line

- the “She was my only true love, now she’s gone, I know not what to do” story line

- the “I used to be a good boy straight A student, but ‘insert random circumstance’ fucked me up” story line

COMEDY

being entertaining and funny in your story is all about running away with your topic, so I can’t lay down most commonly used story lines. Good example of comedy writers in the RSTL are Jowelz, dicenyaeye(sp?) and yo momma.

CRIME

these are generally interesting, but fall into the category of stories which are very often either predictable or ruined by a forced twisted ending. For some reason, when doing these, people assume they’ll be struck by lightning if they don’t provide us with one(twist in the ending).

- the “so I’m an assassin and….” Yada yada

- the “it was a dark night and the street lighting faltered…” story line

HISTORY

much like the CRIME stories, people here tend to be boring. Seeing as they write about events which have happened in the past, most think it’s hardly useful to inject fiction, a little spice into the mix. People who pick historical themes for their topics almost always bore me. And you heard? Boredom is BAD.

So, in retrospect, you have ‘SOB STORY’, ‘COMEDY’, ‘CRIME’, and ‘HISTORY’. While all of the above mentioned have their merits, I’ve come to realize that when writing to some of those, most RSTL folk are really prone to write WHACK, BORING, and did I already mention POORLY.

But topics are just the beginning. The stepping stone to the really bad decisions most of you make in the process leading up to the actual end product. Each person should be well in touch with his own station. By that I mean, you should keep a realistic appraisal of your abilities, and while optimistic about your growth as writers (that’s a very righteous optimism I admit) you shouldn’t overtax yourselves with phrases, rhyme schemes, and terminology you’re not comfortable with. Because really, when some of you try to be witty, fluent, impressive in their vocabulary, your inability really shines through, and even whilst you’re injuring my eyes, you’re also insulting my intellect, as if I don’t know you’ve never said some of those words out loud in your entire lives.

What TO write about?

Things that come natural to you, don’t think too hard on how to keep the multi’s coming and how the next stanza should have even BIGGER words.

What NOT to write about?

Things which you think might challenge your creativity and you’d have a difficulty cultivating the reader’s attention while telling about. This might seem obvious, but week in and week out I see people struggling to unfold a plot at a given topic because they’ve decided they’re stuck with it and they’re gonna go through with it.

Honestly, I don’t expect any of you take note of anything I’ve said here. I don’t think you’re unable to make your own conclusions about where you stand in this. I’d rather think you WILL put your work through this perspective of objectivity. But I know that’s hard. It’s hard not because you’re all dumb. It’s hard because you really try, and it’s disheartening to accept that you’re giving it your best go, but in the wrong direction.

If I had to name names, most of you would be on the B team taking extra classes, on a queue line for AI implants. But there’s hope. For EVERYONE. Keep at it, read books and be dynamic, don’t get stuck on the things you’ve been doing, because frankly, we can all do better.

peace
    test
  2. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

InterView of the Week Part I
    (Talent)

Talent
    MadPoet
    Ladies and Gentleman, I have great pleasure of interviewing one of the greats...a one time RSTL MOD and RSTL champ, a man that pulls no punches, offers no quarter and asks none...Tha Talent..so talent whats going on tonight?
    just finished writing a verse...chilling and watching some kids movie..
    When starting to write, what were your weakness and how did you overcome them,?
    I started to write years ago, but i stopped for a while. so when i started text, my approach was a freestyle based style. I then was told that this wasn't appropriate for text, so i simplified my rhyme scheme and went with a more straightforward topical style. Eventually I managed to mesh the two together, and come up with my own style by adding my poetry that I was writing at the same time to my "rap" pieces. It all came together to form the verses you read.
    And last question...who are the top 5 emcees of all time in your opinion?
    top 5 MCs = Rakim, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, and either Chuck D or Kool Keith
    So Talent how long have you been in and out of the league and which match is one of the most memorable for you and why?
    i joined the league immediately after joining RM, in June 2002...the most memorable match in my opinion was a match some probably forgot between Peril Eyes and TaLi...the most memorable match i've ever been in was me and richard corey writing about monsters under the bed.
    LOL@ monsters under the bed. I wish I had gotten to read that verse...Where do you feel the league is headed as of late?
    you voted on that battle, but anyway...
    The league is getting stronger with Omen as mod and the topics back to the traditional format. I tried to tell L-Dogg that his idea wouldn't work, and I was right. But things are slowly looking better, the key is to keep everyone interested.

LOL I am a stoner and must be forgiven for memory transgressions...Would you say there was an RSTL G.O.A.T?
    there was and still is an RSTL GOAT, in Vern Acular
    How do you forumlate your stories and your RSTL verses...what is the Process Tha Talent goes through..take us through that...
    An Ideal RSTL Week: on Sunday and Monday, I decide which topic i'm going to use. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and half of Thursday, I plan out how to attack this topic. And Thursday night, for half an hour to an hour, i write my verse, that is the only writing i do for RSTL, i don't prewrite or right rough drafts. I then read it once usually, and post it.
    Do you feel there was an RSTL compeitor that in your mind never got off the ground but could have?
    for a long time, Atheist was that guy that never touched his potential...people are starting to recognize him now...Trap is my pick though, because he's a great writer but 75% of the time didn't give a shit about putting effort in.
    How many "old school" RSTL heads do you think are using alaises now and who are your guesses?
    don't have any specific guess, but i'd say no more than three...Vern is using a name we all know, and that automatically eliminates the guy i've grown to suspect.
    Peril is always rumored to be back, but only once used an alias.

So Talent, a storm has been brewing recently. please tell me about the sitaution between you and Tekneek?
    There is no situation. I don't even talk to the guy. Tek is the type of person to run his mouth off about anything that he thinks people will read. As for what Yo Momma wrote about him, I agree with parts of it, and disagree with others.[/]
    What kind of things has Tek run his mouth about?
    Everything. He starts rumors he knows are based in no fact. It doesn't even bother me because I've learned to ignore what he says. He started a rumor about me being Revanon at one point, and I pretty much just shrugged. He looks to get people to pay attention at him.
    You also said you agree with parts of what Momma wrote..what parts did you agree with and what parts did you disagree with?
    I agreed with the part about Tek writing for attention, I disagreed with the part about no one respecting tek at all.
    He does love the attention doesnt he?...If you were in an RSTL contest and your life was on the line. Besides the obvious answers, who would you pick as a partner that would surprise us and why?
    aside from the obvious (ie. omen, richard corey, vern, etc.) i would pick Vadik...he's a great writer and we would definitely have chemistry...I would have said trap, but people might remember that I’ve already paired with trap as t3.

Ok time for word associations...

TekNeek
    saw that coming...
    Zealous.

Dicenyaeye
    Creative
    RapMusic.com
    Immature
    Infinite Truth
    Incredible
    Patriarch
    Good. Not Great
    Yassa Arabfat
    Asshole, in a good way.
    test
  3. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Interview Cont.

Ok in Poet's report card you give the competitor a grade like in school A-F, and a breakdown of why they recieved the grade...

Omen
    A+: The man doesn't lose. He's mastered his style in every way possible. His writing style is his own and everyone that tries to attempt it has failed. All of his pieces are always so good, and I respect that he rarely ever half asses, and only does so when he absolutely must. He gets an B+ for his personality.;-)
    Erykah Caine
    B-: I like Lucifer Leviathan better. Either way, both are very capable writers. Erykah Caine has a very poetic style of writing. She can really rip it when she gets the right topic. But she's not consistent enough and sometimes she tries to stray from the poetry of her writing, and usually fails. Also, I don't think her plots are very creative. Despite those negatives, she's almost always worth the read.
    RICO
    C: I don't like his writing much. He lacks a lot and that explains for his record. He really needs to polish up the ends around his work and try harder to be more unique. Until then, he won't win a championship, and, with the RSTL getting better members again, probably will fall out of the top 10 for a while.
    Tha Talent
    A-: I'm not cocky, but I'm trying to be objective here. I've done a shitload in the RSTL. I just won best Mod and most consistent writer in the same poll for this year. I'm honored. I've beaten the best, but I've been beaten by the best. For a long time, i put very little effort into the RSTL, and since I started trying, I've found the experience rewarding. I still have a lot of holes in my swing, but I'm closing in on some writers I look up to in a way
    Kaybi
    B-: I like that kid's voting. He's blunt and says what he thinks. As a writer, he's very cocky but doesn't quite have the polish on his skills to back it up. He's not smooth enough yet. He does have a creative mind and some solid writing ability. It pisses me off that he was getting votes as most overrated, because who is overrating him? He could develop into a star, but he isn't right now. As a writer, he's on the same level as Caine.
    Atreyu
    C: I was joking before (when i was hyping him up), and I was a little dissappointed that some people were taking me seriously. He's got a LOT of work to do before his ego is nearly representative of his skills. He gets points for being experimental, but he doesn't understand yet how to use that ability. I do think he has a bright future if he learns to take advice and use others as a gauge.
    Well Talent I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this, we hope to see you signed in again soon (If your not already :-D), to end this interview I would like to open the floor for ending comments, please take the time to make a final statement..and thanks again.....
    I'm not in right now under any alias, assuming that is what you were insinuating. However, I may come back eventually. One thing to the RSTL competitors: drop the fucking egos. None of you deserve to have egos, because Richard Corey, Omen, Vern, Truth, and (if he ever tries again) Jowelz will eat you alive in a topical battle. Until you get up to their level, you have no right to talk shit or act like you're good, even if you in fact are pretty good. Period.
    test
  4. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Top 5 Matches of the Week
    Canceled this week due to only 4 matches
    Check Top 20 Countdown by Yo Momma 2nd

The Last Push
    By: Formal Logic
    Many new up & coming writers have graced the RSTL in the last weeks of league. With the likes of Patriarch, Dicnyaeye, & Madpoet, all winning championships in the past few weeks, we, including myself ask what gave them that last push to win that title. I know I’ve fallen victim to being one of those people who make it so far in the ranks, put never quite win the most necessary battles. Although being a vet of the league, I know what it is I’m lacking, but I just don’t have it yet. So I want to let others who are close to winning their first title to understand what they really need to win that decisive battle. People like Lost Prophet, Rico, Mindscape, Atreyu, & others one their way to the top, I want you to pay attention. There is a few core things you need:

…Style/Skill…

First you need to make sure you have that skill, and if you can go 6-0 I’m sure you do. The only thing is you must, and I say must polish it up. Make sure you know your own skill, and don’t try going outside of it, because once you change your style, you’re changing the style that got you to where you are now. Be sure not ever underestimate your skill either, or the skill of your opponent. That is one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made in the past. If you don’t believe in your writing skill, why would anyone else? And please never think you’re too good to battle someone. I know I’ve lost to people I thought I’d hand it too. So in other words be humble, yet confident. These are very important aspects to taking the step to making that last push, or being a push over.

…Experience…

I understand its not necessarily easy to get experience in 4 or 5 battles, but in reality there is. I made that mistake as well. I went 10-1, made it the champ match, and thought I don’t have the experience to win this. Don’t let anyone say you don’t for one. Secondly, take in everything. The way people vote, what they say, what the say you need to fix or change, any and everything. The more you know your reader, the more you know what they like. I’m not saying change the way you write, just be sure to keep all the aspects sharp. If you can learn quick to understand the voter, the reader, and your style, I promise you’ll be one of the few to have under 10 wins and have a title.

…Heart/Desire…

This is the most important part of making that push to win. This is my worst aspect of writing. You must have the heart and desire to win. Let me talk about heart first. Heart is about being able to take criticism, you have to know your style, and most important you cant be a sore loser, you need to know how to bounce back from a loss, whether it be big or small. When and if you lose, you have to know its not the end, its ok to have a loss or 10 on your record. Think of every battle you have, being a title match. If you lose, you will be back, as long as you understand that on any given week anyone can win or lose.

Now desire is the key to doing this all. You can not, and will not ever win a title if you don’t have the desire to win it. You cant be all humdy dum about it. You need to think I want this title and no one will get in my way of doing so, no matter how great or how wack the person may be. You cant spare anyone. Meaning if you can win with 6 votes to their non voting, do it. If you can win with a no show, write a full verse, to keep yourself oiled up. If you have to battle the best of the RSTL (Doyen, Talent, Jowelz, ect.) do not back down, always think you can win. I’ve made that mistake time and again. If you look at Dic, or Patriarch they don’t shy down. Dic beat Jowelz, and Pat beat Infinite Truth because they weren’t scared of them, they had the desire to keep winning, and keep striving for the title.

If people can incorporate all these things through out their run for the title, I believe most can win a title. Good luck though.
    Outro
    Well there you have it ladies and gents. This weeks Tribune done and over with. Hope everyone enjoyed. Let’s hope this week has more showings so we can get this Mag back in full affect. Oh and next week I’ll be addressing some issues at hand. If you would like to contribute to the Tribune just write an article and email it to nyseauthor@hotmail.com Until next time this is Omen signing out. And remember to keep showing and keep voting.
    test
  5. Madpoet

Madpoet why is this so short....

Good shit very nice mag from all contributers
    test
  6. Jersey_Emcee

Jersey_Emcee aka LiQuiDliFe

would have liked to see Top 5 stanzas of the week...but i guess there wasn't enough verses...
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

hahahah

'I wish I saw that battle' - Madpoet
    'You voted on it...' - Talent

Dope mag, I agree on the egos thing talent but eh, times are moving, maybe its not that they aren't trying and more that they have 'lost it'.

But I deffinatly agree on Trap and more so Ath, it's gay because he left the league on some juvinile shit too if I remember rightly...

Dope mag though, well worth the read/
    test
  8. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Dope article 6ft, word on the bible tip too lol.

As for funny, I don't think so at all lol. I get quite offended when people say somethings funny in my verses because it really isn't ment to be lol.
    test
  9. Gummo

Gummo New Member

one of the better mags ive read

6ft, great stuff good points
    talent interview, good questions and answers, nice read
    formal, good information

overall: A
    test
  10. dicnyaeye

dicnyaeye Guest

dope 6ft, agreed with pretty much all of it. that's a great berakdown of how this league is working right now

great interview with Talent from MP, entertaining all the way through

top 5 MCs = Rakim, KRS, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, and either Chuck D or Kool Keith
    (these are my picks exactly. I would give it to Chuck D though. he did way more to influence me when I was 10-13, just learning to writer rhymes)

and Formal, that was also a great breakdown of the will and determination needed to be champ. yall made this a great mag. Wish I had gotten my part in before my bag with the CD I saved it on was stolen

NE way, Greatness from all of you
    test
  11. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

nicely done gentlemen

Im really contemplating a comeback...hmmmm

*sigh*
    test
  12. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

how many times do I have to say this

I can beat anyone who's ever posted on this site in a topical

there's a lot of little people but it's almost flattering to be in lost in their midst

I say 'almost' because I'm not quite that old or quite that 'done with' the battle fervor I once had

good mag

peace
    test
  13. RICO

RICO my daughter right there

real nice GLAD to see my name come'n up a lil more....

ima tryna to take that title soon!

goood shit 6ft.....and formal as well....

niice mag
    test
  14. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer no ESCAPE

i really enjoyed six ft's tips which surpised me...hehehe but where is horror huh or thriller they are th only two i do. You broke my heart.

anyways i like the inerview even if half the party was high.
    how come it said contd. then wasn't i wanted more god damn it.
    And talent when i listed Atreyu as one of the top 5 writers i was playen his good but i just wanted to be different...but good interview

formal i loved the whole desire section nice work bud.

cool mag

im high and it entertained me for a good twenty minutes

pz

oh mac sign in right now
    test
  15. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Liking the mag. And thanks to those who complimented.
    test
  16. Richard Corey

Richard Corey battle like a savage

Talent is cool peeps.

and on the flip side...uh, damn, I forgot that 'monster under the bed' battle too... uh...what did I write about? lol.
    test
  17. Madpoet

Madpoet why is this so short....

LOL I smoke so much weed I forgot too LOL
    test
  18. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

corey, that was your verse about the little girl and the father who had to put her to death, because of a disease.
    that really emotional piece you wrote
    test
  19. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

6, based on what i've read from you, no, you can't beat "anyone who's ever posted a topical verse on this site"
    yes, you are good, but you aren't as good as you think you are
    if you want to prove yourself, beat vern in a couple weeks, when he gets to the championship, assuming he doesn't lose interest or isn't forced to sign out.
    you should be able to hold onto the championship if you are as good as you say you are.
    test
  20. dicnyaeye

dicnyaeye Guest

I did a top 3, but I wasn't able to e-mail them to you O... I'll do em this week though
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.