RSTL Tribune : Pat The TEKnical Talent Down

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Omen, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Intro
    I want to give a shout out to those still in the tourney. I think there has been some unexpected upsets. To be honest there are a few people I didn’t think would make it this far, but they have proven me wrong. My apologies for the 3 ways and the one 4 way, I tried breaking the tourney down several ways to avoid these and they still kept coming up. Anyways, G’Luck to all of you. The league is back up and running, some good match ups I noticed already, especially our Champ Match; Talent vs. Doyen. Doesn’t get much better than this, two heavyweights colliding against each other; one trying to hold onto the title and the other trying to claim yet another title. I am sure that each will bring a strong showing and will not disappoint anyone. Should be an exciting week and I’m anxious to see how it unfolds.
    Patty's Corner
    By: Patriacrch
    Ok, first off I want to say congratulations to all the people that have advanced in the tourny, should be some interesting stuff this week and the following weeks, I know none of you have read anything in the mag from me in a while, so I just wanted to state a few things and bring up some stuff. Feedback is required.

1. League/Tourny Voting:
    Ok, I noticed some people wondering about the voting cause they are in both the league and the tourny at the same time this week and will be for following weeks. So me and Omen have talked and decided that if you are in BOTH you only have to vote on 6 Matches. You MUST VOTE on the other 3 Tourny matches, and then 3 league matches. Post your tourny links in the tourny thread, and the league links in your league thread. Best solution we could come up with, this was your 50/50, just suck it up! All other voting for just league people will remain the same as usual, just we are stressing that league people please vote on the tourny matches, please.

2. Records/Ranks:
    I know I said this in the Ranks thread but half of you only go there to look at your rank and leave or go straight to hookups for the prediction thread. So. Again, if you have been in the league and have a decent record or hell even a shitty record and you goto the Sign IN/OUT thread and sign IN as 0-0. That is now your record. Your old record of whatever it was is gone, completely. You may not get it back. So keep that in mind. Also, for the people that try to shave a loss or add a win and shit like that "you know who you are", all the records have been logged and everyone that signs into the league is in this log wether you signed in with BillyBobShitFace a while ago, and lost 3 matches, then try to sign back in at 2-3, its not going to fly. The records that I have are the ones that I use, of course we all make mistakes so if there is a problem and you think I messed up. 1. Dont MSG me being a complete fuckin fag about it and start whining like a little bitch, just point it out, supply a link or something, and it will be changed and we can get it straight. Ok?

3. Sunday Sunday Sunday:
    Ok Ok, The past week i've been reading about the voting due time being a problem at 1pm EST. I hear a lot of people saying they have a lot of time on Sundays just they have prior engagements early in the afternoon, and its hard for them to get them in, *cough* if you know this then maybe getting them done sooner would be a thought *cough*... BUTTT, ok so me and Omen talked and we are going to push the voting time back to Sunday @ 12 MIDNIGHT/EST, does everyone see this? Voting Now Due @ 12 MIDNIGHT/EST on Sunday! No bitching, cause we are posting this in the mag that you SHOULD be reading for information like this. And dont give the "well on the rules thing in my thread it still said 1pm EST Sunday, not fair, wah wah wah" No, that will not matter to me and I will block you. One more time, nice and large for the complete fuckin morons in the league, lol
    Voting Now Due @ 12 MIDNIGHT/EST on Sunday!

In closing. we cannot stress enough to league members to PLEASE VOTE in the Tourny matches! We have quit a handful of matches across the league plus adding the tourny matches we are going to have some voting to do this week, so we are asking for some cooperation and help. Can we get that? I seen lots of people about the Sunday thing, which trust me, it doesn't make things any easier on the MOD's, 1pm was perfect for us because we can get them done, outta the way and everything ready for Sunday Evening/Morning, so we sucked it up and pushed it back, So lets do some voting this week. Again, goodluck to the people in the tourny, and goodluck to the people that are not, I hope something aweful happens to all that read this. pz
    test
  2. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Victory Lane
    By: Talent
    THE EAST

2. TekneeK vs. 3. 6ft Deep vs. 5. Atheist
    this is clearly the bracket where the most went as expected...things went basically according to plan here, and we are left with a great regional final...I’ve actually already read Atheist's verse, but I won't comment on it, except to say that Tek and 6 better bring their A-games...Atheist is an amazing storyteller...his ability to bring out his characters in such an emotionally impacting way with such inspired yet simplistic storytelling makes him basically as pure a storyteller as the RSTL has ever had...he doesn't worry about flow or rhyme scheme very much, but that's not to say that he couldn't, he choses not to...6ft Deep is an RMC legend...he's got a multitude of styles he could break out for this one, from comedy to a very deep topical approach...he has a lot of skill, but i believe he lacks focus in many of his verses...he has the ability to win this whole tournament if he really puts his all in, though...and Tekneek is Tekneek...we all know Tek in the RSTL...he can come with some very nice verses, but he is very inconsistent...he's still definitely not a pushover, and could take this match if 6 or Ath were to sleep. I'm predicting that Atheist takes the bracket.

THE WEST

5. Rikoshay vs. 10. ConVerse vs. 11. Ominous
    the east and the west, as has always been the history of hip hop, seem to be at the opposite ends of the spectrum...while the East offers RSTL viewers a familiar scene of three very well known writers on this site, it's in the West where my intrigue is peaked...Rikoshay, ConVerse, and Ominious may not be the most rampant of RMC posters, but they are some of the most talented writers in the tournament...Rikoshay has had the most experience in the RSTL, as he is trying to go 7-0 in the league this week...he's one of the most recognizable and talented writers on the internet, and he offers a level of polish that is almost never matched...one person who can very well match Rik is ConVerse...Con is known around the internet by a name I’m not sure if he wants revealed...he's one of my favorite writers on the "text scene" and he's got much more experience in topicals than Rik...I personally would say he's a much better storyteller, which could give him an advantage here...Ominous is one hell of a "third wheel" though...he won't be able to match up with the depth, rhyme scheme, or diction of his combatants, but he can write some very nice stories that are, though not as polished, very easy to read and enjoyable...in fact, if Con and Rik go over the voters heads, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ominous take this battle...but as is, because I love his storytelling, I’m putting money on ConVerse.

THE NORTH

1. doYen vs. 5. Nique vs. 9. Space Bar
    it's an odd bracket, I guess...doYen is the only one seed left, although he too almost lost out in a first round upset...Nique, as always in her RSTL career, has overcome being an underdog so far, in her defeat of Headless...and Space Bar has faced off against two very active heads and gotten no shows...let's start with Vern...he's a God as far as the RSTL is concerned...his rhyme scheme and writing ability transcend almost everyone...but he has to write two important verses this week, and motivation could very well be a major factor...I’m sure he wants to win the tournament, but a ninth title would look nice too...not to mention the fact that he hasn't seemed to have been enjoying his writing, which could cause him to focus on neither verse...but Vern is a great writer, and I do believe he'll put effort in...Nique is a good writer as well...she's got a lot of energy in her writing, and you can tell she only writes what she wants to write...her pieces are vibrant and well done...Space Bar is an example of a guy who has found a poetic style that works but isn't sure how it works...he hasn't taken grasp of his writing ability yet, but in time, could become a very strong writer in this league...my finger is pointed at Vern to advance.

THE SOUTH

2. Anaphora vs. 4. Yassa Arabfat vs. 6. Ashen Horse vs. 12. Dead King
    so this was my bracket...there really weren't too many surprises other than Dead King, who should have eliminated Ana last week had he posted his links...now we are stuck with a fatal four way, which is pretty shitty in my opinion...Ana is a great writer...he offers a ton of polish on his storytelling pieces, and recently has been mixing it up more than ever...I really wasn't a big fan of last week, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him bounce back and take this bracket...he's a great storyteller...Yassa came with it last week, great rhyme scheme that i didn't expect to see...almost like it was a completely different writer...if he comes like that again this week, I could very well see him taking the bracket, too...Ashen Horse came into the last tournament as the darkhorse, but this time is actually respected and feared for his originality and pure writing skill...Dead King is the darkhorse here, but after defeating (in votes) the top two seeds in the tournament, he won't be underestimated again...he showed off some great imagery last week and came with an intelligent and captivating verse...this will be a battle to watch, because four-ways are ridiculous and any one of these guys could take it...my bets are on Ashen though, I just think he's the best writer in the bracket. ​
    test
  3. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

The TEK-nical Opinion
    By: TekNeeK

The TEK-nical Opinion is a small column of the RSTL magazine dealing with in-depth issues on the individuals currently participating in the league today. The many different kinds of topics, discussions etc. are created and responded by TeKneeK and are considered strictly opinionated information brought to the readers of the RSTL magazine. For any responses suggested on any of the information given, you can AIM TeK at: TeKneeK2006.

EXPOSING THE VOTING

The RSTL has been enduring through an ongoing problem of voting and the scarcity of it. Seemingly, with the number of votes necessary to get you moving onto the next round, people yet still fail to fulfill or do not bother in doing it.

4 major problems arise that have never been brought up and I been seeing this a lot.

Problem 1. Anyone that is losing in a match and is pretty much done for the week with a loss, do not bother to vote. It happens to me too. When you know your gonna lose, you just don’t feel like doing any voting, so you let it be for the week and hope that next week’s round, you can get a win and climb back up in the rankings.

- Those who lose are also responsible to vote for other matches, because when every match consists of only 1 of the 2 voters voting in the league, that alone pretty much diminishes the quantity of votes done all together to see that all matches were fulfilled with a fair amount.

WHAT TO DO: Require both the winner and loser to vote. Anyone who sees themselves losing a match must vote or will see a suspension and a loss. I feel that we need to be a little tougher because the fact that since nothing NOW has been happening with voting, some sort of standard needs to be set to get the people to do it.

Problem 2. People say that they have only time to look at a number of threads because of real life, work, family business etc. I say STOP LYIN. If you cannot allow yourself 1 hour of your time to read and vote, then you should’ve never joined the league. The fact that the MODS have lowered the number of matches needed to VOTE causes more hurt then healing.

- Voting is NOT hard to do. It may consume some time, but this is no different than taking an hour of your life to read a book, or to just sit and relax. You guys need to manage your schedule in knowing when you have time to do things and to fit it in. It sucks to say it like that, but with my busy schedule working with the newspaper, I’m having able to find time to pry in to submit a verse here… or to post a thread there… or to submit a mag article. If you FORCE yourself to vote, you only make it worse for everyone else that’s looking for it.

WHAT TO DO: Raise the # of votes needed back up to 6. Let it remain even if people are not showing. They sign in to not show up? WTH!? The rules and stipulations have been like that for awhile now and people are responsible for it. If they decide not to vote then its tough luck for them. I work a minimum of 6-8 hours a day and at maximum 17 during deadline week. If I’m able to pop in a verse or to vote for more than the stated number of matches to succeed… you all can do it too.

Problem 3. People use their vote limit to vote on SPECIFIC matches. People are looking to vote in matches on people they know who are going to win or people who they personally favor. It’s a problem.

- This action causes an imbalance in the number of votes collected in every match. Someone who’s #3 vs #4 will get a lot of looks and replies, but a match that is a #13 vs #14 will have only 4 replies. That is a problem. Everyone’s being picky and choosey about who to reply on so that they wouldn’t have to spend so much time reading and typing.

WHAT TO DO: Assign anyone ranked #1-#12 to vote on matches from #1-14 and those who are ranked lower to rank on those matches. Any extra voting done is OK and extracurricular. This is why raising the # of votes is important. Everyone should have a fair amount of votes in their matches. I personally look in TRYING to vote for every match… but at times I fail. If it need be that we have to assign certain people to vote on specific matches… then that’s what it should be.

Problem 4. No-show winners should not get a bye week to do nothing… they MUST vote!

- If a person wins by NO-SHOW… mods should state them as a winner and then keep the thread open until that person fulfills his share of voting and then pasting in the URL’s to his thread. Then the mod can close up the thread. If they fail to post the URL’s and not vote but get a win – they get a win in their record but stay where they are in the ranks. Or something revolving around that.

I feel these steps that are now identified should now be looked at and handled as soon as possible. I feel that if these problems are tackled, voting will be a bit better and beneficial to everyone. ​
    test
  4. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

The TEK-nical Opinion Cont.
    By: TekNeeK
    HERE WE GO AGAIN…

At the time when I was on the verge of meeting VERN for the RSTL title earlier in the year, there was a lot of talk and a lot of flack yet once again about the name of this league and what it stands for. As founder of the league, I feel it’s my responsibility to let you guys know what it really stands for.

RSTL is the Rapmusic Story/Topical League. This form of rhymewriting is different of a battle rhyme we all know that. However, the league has evolved deeper and now the question is raised, ‘Is it more a story or a topical league’?

The league is basically both. People need to now identify that the two styles are different. There has been so many arguments, explanations and details stating which one is advantageous and which one is better and which one is useful yadda yadda yadda. At first, it was the choice of the person to use whatever style they feel most comfortable that will get them to a win. But in time, writers are becoming more familiar with each other’s style and the topics assigned are pretty much affecting the whole idea of the writer to write about something.

WHAT’S SO INTERESTING ABOUT THIS DISPUTE? – Topical writing extracts writers to build up a verse that creates more emotion because the topic is asking the writer, ‘this is the word… what do you think of it and what does it make it you visualize’. Writing about a topic is moreover directing the writer to write more of a personal essay, or to create a poetical sense of the topic. Any writer can utilize if it can built into a story… but as majority views, topics are more prone to those who wish to express the metaphorical and emotional side more easily. Storytelling is a different thing. Storytelling is just that… a story. The writer makes it a story and tells the events, details, and setting of what’s happening and what’s being taken place. A story usually cannot be so much expressed about what the writer feels, at best, it would only be said within about a couple lines… and then the story MUST continue. Storytelling completely veers away from the self thoughts and perceptions because it MUST tell a tale.

The interesting factor in all this is that storytelling is prone to be favorable to those who like to write in simpler terms and in more of a general sense because we’re giving the obvious details in the story to describe.. But then to move on to the next scene. Topicals are more described from the self and also from the 1st person point of view in which it deals with abstract scenarios and more poetical ideas showing more artistry than what a story tells.

SO THEN WHAT? – I feel that the RSTL needs a change at some point. Breakup the forums into two different leagues. Sign-ups are separated in both forums… Mods should breakup into the two leagues and create one league as STRICTLY storytelling ONLY. The other league broken up to topics only! --- This saying that anyone that posts in a storytelling league MUST and ONLY MUST write the rhyme in storytelling mode. If they write it in TOPICALS for that forum will be either given the chance to rewrite it till deadline or they auto-lose the match. There would be two different rankings and two different sign ups… the person can choose to be in one league.. Or the other.. But also to compete in both!!! – However – they burden themselves in having to write two rhymes in one week!!! Voting however will be a problem. The person will be asked to vote more than what it is now. But that all roots to if they choose to compete in both leagues…. I personally would suggest to let the person choose one league only and to go with it at that and then later on develop their topical skills by joining that league later.

We have this capability of doing this because we breakup one to make two leagues. We create the chance of bringing in more members to both leagues in the RSTL… but that can either burden or ease the responsibilities of the MOD… (but Im still able to fulfill this if it’ll bring a good change to the league).

For a long time, this Storytelling/Topical situation has been a longterm problem. I think creating this would benefit both and allow diversity to be identified but also allow the writer to find more skills in their repertoire. They can practice and get better in a style they feel theyre not good at. It has a sense of something new, but then it adds and asks for more in both mods and the people.

The records that we currently own for the RSTL would be collected. If I hold at 48-16 and I compete both in the topical side and the story side… and I win and lose that week – then my record would be 49-17.

I feel this is the new level and the new RSTL that is needed to show a little creative change. It asks a lot and possibly acquiring 2 extra mods to help out could pretty much secure and hold the system together. But it also allows the competitors to do their part in keeping it legit. Express your thoughts and tell me what you think!

That’s it to say for this time in the TEK-nical Opinion… join me next week, when I talk more about the current RSTL competitors and more of other in-depth discussions brewing around the league. ​
    test
  5. yo momma

yo momma New Member

Very ironic tek would choose to talk about poor voting. Needless to say I skipped that part.

Dope mag, Pats a cheat and talents part was nice.
    test
  6. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

this is it?

why the hell would you want to separate a league which already suffers from lack of attendance?
    test
  7. Gummo

Gummo New Member

test
  8. yo momma

yo momma New Member

O THEN WHAT? – I feel that the RSTL needs a change at some point. Breakup the forums into two different leagues. Sign-ups are separated in both forums… Mods should breakup into the two leagues and create one league as STRICTLY storytelling ONLY. The other league broken up to topics only! --- This saying that anyone that posts in a storytelling league MUST and ONLY MUST write the rhyme in storytelling mode. If they write it in TOPICALS for that forum will be either given the chance to rewrite it till deadline or they auto-lose the match. There would be two different rankings and two different sign ups… the person can choose to be in one league.. Or the other.. But also to compete in both!!! – However – they burden themselves in having to write two rhymes in one week!!! Voting however will be a problem. The person will be asked to vote more than what it is now. But that all roots to if they choose to compete in both leagues…. I personally would suggest to let the person choose one league only and to go with it at that and then later on develop their topical skills by joining that league later.

thats what he chatting about.
    test
  9. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

dope mag.

my suggestion for "what to do" for those losers who never bother voting *i.e. problem 1 in tek's speech thingy) is to give them 2 losses instead of one.

my two cents.

anywho, good luck to 6ft deep and tek in our match up.
    test
  10. l e e t

l e e t ‾‾‾‾‾‾

Please stop using small fonts.
    test
  11. UneekTestimony

UneekTestimony New Member

dope, thanks for the mention.
    test
  12. RIKOSHAY

RIKOSHAY New Member

Good idea ;)
    I hope no-shows, and those down in votes, obey this command.
    I've seen some matches go by with only 2-3 votes in total.

Also wondering, can someone who entered the tourney but got eliminated, vote?
    test
  13. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

^^still been wondering that

and dont split the league...that'd be wack
    test
  14. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

dope ass maggy.
    test
  15. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

always has been in the past.

and splitting the league is the worst fucking idea i've ever heard and i can't believe anyone is still ranting about it...i don't even need to go into details as to why that idea sucks.
    test
  16. Gummo

Gummo New Member

I dont like the idea either, def. not for the RSTL.
    test
  17. RIKOSHAY

RIKOSHAY New Member

The perception is that an average story will beat an average topical, all other things being equal. Soo...

What about, only occasionally, having a week where everyone has to do a topical?
    test
  18. DeadKing

DeadKing The Perfect Method

nice........

and once again i've become the underdog of my bracket.....

and even after beating ana (technicalities aside), im still the underdog to him this round, lol.....

"good job dk, i like what you do, but you still suck compared to these guys over here"

nah, im just playing, good luck to all........

i just wanna see some fierce competition, thats all
    test
  19. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

don't split the league.
    test
  20. Cigma

Cigma Maxwell's Demon

Reasons for a split league make sense, but would be unsound logistically.

It's hard to regiment peoples votes and therien lies the root of the problem, not the set-up of the RSTL. People vote according their literary and philosophical background when it comes to crafting a verse. And that's their right. Truth is never taken from another. Only thing you can really do is stay on top of the bs votes, and hope people can have a broad enough perspective to judge verses for their own merits.

The losing verse isn't necesarrily the worse verse.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.