RSTL Tribune : A Talented Top 10

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Omen, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Intro
    This is a short Tribune this week. Sorry for that and hopefully next week will be a better one. I have been swamped this past week with everything it seems. Between work and starting classes my schedule has been a hectic one. But never the less I am here to do what I can and once I get it on a set schedule things will be different. Anyways it seems we will be presented with a top 10 only. And a few words from me. So here we go.

Omen’s Words
    This will possibly become a regular in the Tribune. Not that any of you probably care to read what I have to say but oh well. As my parents have always told me, life’s not fair you don’t always get what you want. Moving on, recently I have been appointed as Head RSTL MOD again since MadPoet has stepped down due to his new duties as a SuperMOD. But that doesn’t mean much has changed. I still feel this is a joint effort in the parts of all the RSTL MODs. If we all fail to work together then the league fails and yada yada yada. You get the point. Every MOD has a final say so in every matter. Now I have been talking with Patriarch about the next tourney. We have been discussing a way to make it more interesting. We wish to conduct this with a prize in the end, nothing big, no it’s not money and some super cool gadget. The way we see it is, that each participant who wishes to sign up will donate 2 points to join, the winner taking 80% of them and the runner up taking 20%. Unless of course you all feel the winner should just take all. This could make the tourney more interesting and possibly intice people to show. Of course the problem we run into is that there is no way to tell who donated the points. That issue we are currently working on and we hope to have it resolved shortly. Yes, yes, I know this is sporadic but its okay it’s supposed to be that way. I want to say gratz to Vern and thanks to all those who continue to show each week and those that help with the Mag. Once again my apologies for this weeks Tribune. ​
    test
  2. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Talents Top 10
    By: Talent

10. CogzWell...
    ...this kid right here is an up and comer...though he doesn't have a lot of polish to his skills, he has the potential to bloom into a force...his writing style is somewhat reminscent of my own, but that's not the point...his topical last week was pretty nice...though he still needs work on keeping the repetition variation fresh and unique, he had flashes of brilliance...he should have a quote amongst the top 5 stanzas of the week, and even if not, this is a writer who, once he gets a grip on his style, could become one of the best topicalists in the league...i enjoyed his verse.

9. Liquid Life...
    ...aka jersey emcee, liquid life has had a pretty solid career in the RSTL...he hasn't been in the league for an incredible amount of weeks, but has developed a reputation as a smooth writer...he generally writes shorter verses but his writing ability is strong...this week, he came with a run of the mill verse for himself...he chose the love of drugs metaphor, and he succeeded on creating a solid verse...although his concept was cliché, he managed to make an enjoyable read, as he does very often...it should be interesting getting to face him for the first time this week.

8. Insense...
    ...before this week, i can say that i had never read any verses by Insense that i actually liked...i always looked him as a writer with some potential, but a lot of rough edges and a very basic style of storytelling...though i was proven right this week, for the most part, Insense really entertained me...he had the most original verse of the week, and even though his writing was somewhat bland, it got the job done...his urban legend-like story was very involved and the descriptions in the final stanza were brilliant...the ending was dope too...he still has some work to do, but Insense could still develop into a very respectable writer.

7. ]b]dicnyaeye[/b]...
    ...maybe it's just me, but dicnyaeye seems to be less inspired in the last couple weeks...he's found his niche, and he's made some very entertaining comedic stories...but he seems to have leveled off and some of the creativity he once brought to the table seems to be fading...perhaps he should switch it up...but still, even with all that said, dic is a very good storytelling...this week he came up with an entertaining look into a pic topic and most of his writing was right on point...the ending was creatively disappointing, but the rest of the verse was strong and enjoyable, even as he got shut out by vern.

6. 6ft Deep...
    ...i respect 6ft Deep more than almost anyone in the RSTL right now...he's a great writer and he can write in a variety of styles...this week, he chose to write what basically came to a sermon on the wicked ways of women...i nearly shut him out (he got one vote from Insense), but he showed a lot of skill...he told of the web spun by a matriarchal society set on taking over the world that men control...he wrote his verse well and exposed some well outlined points...even if his verse was a bit longer than it should have been, it was still a very nice piece of writing...and by the way, i originally gave you #5, but realized you would prefer this.

5. Retulen Reactus...
    ...retulen isn't the greatest writer in the RSTL, but he is more than servicable...he lost this week to Formal Logic, who's verse isn't ranked because i didn't want to rank the beginning of a verse...however, i like Retulen's verse...he pulled off the gay twist at the end nicely, and even though him and dic had EXTREMELY similar plots, i think Retulen pulled it off better with the ending and the setup as a letter to the ex-lover rather than a chronology...Retulen had a roughly ten line segment in his verse that i truly believe should be in the top 5 stanza's, and i feel like, if omitted, it would be a shame.

4. Insanity...
    ...insanity was part of a group of writers that InsaneVillain took under his wing and helped develop into near-clones (another example of this is illweeman)...insanity always had potential, but he never really showed it in full...he's had his ups and downs in the league, but has had a fairly non-descript career...however, the verse he wrote this week shows off his talent...he took the drug addict topic and made it his own with a very creative and well written verse...he got a no show, but his concept was the second most creative i read this week, behind Insense...and i read every verse, so that should tell you something...Insanity is a very good writer and this might be the time for him to bloom.

3. Doyen...
    ...in my opinion, when it comes to storytelling, vern isn't NEARLY as good as he is with topicals...however, this week he opted for storytelling...his verse was still ill, of course, but i think he he's better at topicals...his storytelling was well done and he had a nice plot...his rhyme scheme was off the hook, of course, although several people complained about the flow not be up to the traditional vern acular standards...this wasn't nearly his best verse, but it also wasn't his worst either...more of an average Vern Acular story...and this guy is so great that an average verse from him beats most heads, and he earned his #3 spot in this week's standings...i enjoyed the verse, but Vern, it'd be nice to see you step it up a little, last week was better...just remember, i'm only critical because i know how dope you can be.

2. Erykah Caine...
    ...i'm calling it right now, Erykah Caine will be the first female to win an RSTL championship (madpoet aside)...the reason i say this is because lately, Erykah has become more and more in control of her poetic style...she doesn't focus as much on the rhyme scheme and flow as i would normally like, but what she does with word choice is damn near phenominal...and she's getting so much better at keeping her content focused...even though her verse this week was a little cliche in content, she managed to write it so well that i enjoyed it thoroughly.

1. Anaphora...
    ...i resent Anaphora for being a nit-picky bitch...however, he's one of the cooler people to talk to from this site, and he's also a great writer...the thing about ana is that all of his stories revolve around very subtle and undertoned content...he never comes out and says it, he lets the reader piece things together...that's one thing that i really like about him, but that has hurt him in the past...people have often not understood the full topic matter, and one example of that was two weeks ago (even though he won)...i think the voters got it more last week, and i really felt his verse...this guy can write, and even if it is more prosaic than i'd normally appreciate, i still love anaphora's verses on a consistant basis. ​
    test
  3. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

Outro
    I got nothing left to say.​
    test
  4. Jersey_Emcee

Jersey_Emcee aka LiQuiDliFe

Something is better than nothing...

Neways...lol...that was a no show verse I dropped O...i was in the middle of writing it then Madpoet told me he wasn't showing...so I just posted what I had so far...thanks for the props though...
    test
  5. Omen

Omen O Luh Da Kids

word JE... thats Talent tho who did the top 10...
    test
  6. Author Unknown

Author Unknown New Member

I like how you guys do this, shows you read everyone
    test
  7. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

hhahaha

thanks for the # good stuff!!!
    test
  8. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

word short but sweet
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

You should have said you were this stuck man. I'd have helped. I assumed you just wanted to plop another article in there.

I'm down to help next week.
    test
  10. dicnyaeye

dicnyaeye Guest

I didn't write an article because formal did the same article I did last week.... anyway, yay, the Talent's Top Ten is back

good shit
    test
  11. Gummo

Gummo New Member

goodstuff.
    test
  12. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

My fault too. Ive been really pressed for time lately too.
    test
  13. Insense

Insense take one...

nice mag, and the tourny idea sounds nice as well...i think most people would be respectable and donate 2 points...but then there are those who will always cheat
    test
  14. Ninja Kid

Ninja Kid AKA Jae Keeps

what would happen if u didnt have two points to donate for the tourney?
    test
  15. DrugAddict

DrugAddict New Member

You spelled my name wrong in number 1. It's all good.
    test
  16. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

I beat out Vern? Wow. I think this is my first #1. Crazy shit. Nice quick read before work.

And damnit Talent, I'm a picky bitch because by knowing your small faults is how you improve. I'm all about the love.
    test
  17. HazErDuss

HazErDuss to ya health...

i like the idea of prize money, but what about the poor fucks like me who dont have points?lol
    im not gonna pay real money for some points on the internet. lol
    test
  18. doYen

doYen Man Above All

i think i will step it up this week just for you...thanks for the mention, and be prepared to see a jaw dropping topical from no other than.......
    test
  19. RIKOSHAY

RIKOSHAY New Member

I noticed in another thread I was top 5. I suppose this has more to do with current accomplishments in the league though.
    Since I already won this week (Opponent withdrew) I ought to be officially top 20 next week.
    PEA
    test
  20. Madpoet

Madpoet why is this so short....

Yo this shit was slightly my fault. I didnt get any interviews done this week. I am going to interview 2 people this week to make up for it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.