RSTL Mag

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Tha Talent, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

RSTL Mag
    Tournament and League overview

Intro
    this is my last week as RSTL mod...meaning this is my last mag...i took time out of my day to write this entirely myself...so read it and don't take it for granted...also, in the mag i generally try to keep journalistic objectivity, but not this week...the articles feature my opinions, and if you don't like it, don't read it.

Soapbox
    a lot of things happening to the RSTL in the near future...we have a strong possibility in a new style of running this entire league, one that L-Dogg has spearheaded...so be on the watch out for that in the near future...Noib Da Mutt is now champ, and you can read plenty about that in the article about him...the championship of the tournament is also now here...voting will go from whenever verses are posted till Tuesday, so if you vote before Sunday, you can choose whether you want the vote to count for this week or next week...now i'm sure that you all want to know why this is my last week as RSTL mod...i just don't have time anymore, which is why this mag is so delayed...my resignation is not a result of the constant criticism, but i would really appreciate it if you guys (meaning primarily L-Dogg and Tek) would try not to bash someone who is putting in all the hard work they possibly can from now on...i've got to say one thing about the RSTL, you guys are developing into great writers, even if you started out weak...read on.

A Chance To Shine
    By taking Vadik's title, Noib has allowed himself to shine...
    ...Meanwhile, Retulen Reactus surprised Formal for #1 Contender

I told you I was going to be honest, no holds barred, in this mag, and i will keep true to my promise. I don't believe Noib beat Edward Lake last week. However, that is not me taking away from Noib. Noib has had a strong RSTL career, stronger than most seem to realize. He's made it to the title match twice before, once being shut out by me, once being shut out by Mac Flow. Despite those two beatings, Noib has shown resilience. The thing that stands out about Noib is his creativity. He's willing to take risks and break molds in writing the verses that he wants to write. All writers do have weaknesses, of course. Noib's are that he hasn't quite grasped the idea of true storytelling, and relies on his concepts and strong use of emotion to bail him out. He isn't as polished nor as affluent and intellectual as Vadik, but he does provide a certain spark. It will be interesting to watch this title hold, because he might be able to hold onto it for a couple weeks.
    Retulen Reactus, aka One's Abyss, is looking to make sure that doesn't happen. Ret has been an oddball in the RSTL. He shows flashes of brilliance, but in the end, has yet to provide evidence that he can write a great VERSE, not just a great group of lines. His talent is obvious, but I've found myself questioning whether his skills are quite refined. However, the RSTL has been leaning toward a more emotional stance on writing recently, and Ret can provide that. He has a creative mind, and I feel as though, once he finds his true writing style, he could develop into something special.
    Neither of these two writers are capable, right now, of truly taking over and dominating the RSTL the way we've seen Omen, Richard Corey, Warren Worthington III, and others do so in the past. But both have shown that a little persistance and putting forth full effort can lead to good things. Whomever wins this title match will have put full effort forth. I'm predicting Noib, but as they say, it's not over till ASK closes the threads.

Truth Be Told
    Infinite Truth has been the subject of criticism; the question is: why?

I'm sick of the bullshit. I'm sick of the word poetical being thrown around, used in poor grammar, and taking with it some sort of negative connotation. We are not here to criticize someone for having a style that breaks boundries. We are here to congratulate them. Infinite Truth writes great verses, and whether or not you like his style, I don't understand how any reader cannot recognize that. I've read a lot of RSTL writers in the past. I've seen people who attempt to cross boundries with their styles, only to fail (see Status Quo's non rhyming verse this past week). Infinite Truth is not one of those people. His writing is brilliant. Each verse is an exercise of the mind, a new statement on mankind. His abstract storytelling methods are not denegrading to the RSTL, they are uplifting, a breath of fresh air. He offers a tapestry of well woven characters, enchanting imagery, and a story that can really grip a reader that gives it a chance. There was a time when Truth went with a more traditional RSTL style. When he wrote a verse flooded with foreshadowing all leading to a twist. And he was very successful with that style. However, as he's grown as a person, he's grown as a writer. I've noticed it in talking to him, he's matured. His word choice alone shows that maturity. I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, but I just don't understand. If people told Rakim that his rhyme style wasn't good because he was pushing for forward progress, where would hip hop be? I'll leave it at that.​
    test
  2. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

Talent's Top Ten

10. Retulen Reactus...
    ...ret brought forth a strong verse this week...his rainbow idea allowed a lot of creativity to shine...he brought forth a verse that was part stream of consciousness, part topical...and i really liked it...he's stepped his game up recently, and if he keeps it up he may actually win the championship...good job.

9. Noib da Mutt...
    ...like every other week, noib took a risk with his twist on the topic...he wrote about a white supremicist and a black woman...kind of cliche'd, and yet not...he took it from an interesting perspective, and his ending invoked some strong images...well done, as he grabs his first championship belt (see the Detriot Pistons).

8. L-Dogg...
    ...maybe it's me, but L-Dogg is better than some of you guys seem to give him credit for...his word choice and rhyme schemes are smooth and he can really hit on some great topicals...i realize that he's the "member you love to hate," but don't take that as a detracter...though he's never been a great storyteller, his topicals are some of the best.

7. MC4Sight[/b - Tournament Verse
    ...though i felt it was one of the weakest verses 4 has dropped in a while, MC4Sight has been sooo good lately that even a disappointment warrants a high place in the top 10...his verse showed, as always, a great writing style and a lot of maturity...well done, even though i'm not sold on the overall concept.

6. Joe Young...
    ...this guy is obviously very sure of himself...he's boasting around the site that he'll be an RSTL champ...and he does have skill...his verse wasn't so much funny as it was just a well crafted straight up story...i would have liked more jokes in it, but he didn't offer them...however, i think this is just the beginning of his skill...could be wrong, of course.

5. Edward Lake...
    ...Vadik went with a recycled verse, but i'll judge it as a regular verse...he had a lot of good things going...he showcased the shallow depths of human nature, and really made me feel for this girl...interesting story...not his best, but definitely worth the read if you have time...you probably read it last week though...i thought it should have won, oh well.

4. Khoi...
    ...this is one of the best verses khoi's dropped for the rstl...he showcases his lyricism abilities and brings out the best in his skill...the flow is hot and he brings out some great topics in a seemless stream of consciousness topical that i really liked.

3. 6ft Deep...
    ...this guy is a great writer...seriously, watch out...he's a dope lyricist and he proved it this week with a topical...i was entranced...his word choice is smooth and strong, and he just has a sense of style...he knows what he's doing, and he's ready to show that to the world...future RSTL titlist.

2. dicenyaeye...
    ...dicenyaeye, when he first entered the league, was kinda mediocre...but he quickly found his niche, and he's turned into one of, if not THE, best straightforward storyteller in the league...he took a topic that most people weren't even thinking about and made it his own...just a great story that made for an interesting read...well done...getting better and better.

1. Infinite Truth - Tournament Verse
    ...infinite truth proved once again that repetition/variation is his strength...in his fourth and possibly final instillment of this recent series, we watch the relationship fall to shambles...everything the couple stood for is now gone...brilliant verse that i really got into...showcases the infinite truth style beautifully...verse of the week.

Outro
    this is the last time...so i guess, for one last time, peace.
    test
  3. TRAP.

TRAP. i'm soo old school.

pce man :(
    test
  4. TRAP.

TRAP. i'm soo old school.

btw, this was a great read, as your mags usually are / were.
    pce.
    test
  5. UneekTestimony

UneekTestimony New Member

Good Mag, but I think people criticize Infinte Truth's poetic style because this is called the "Topical League". That's just a guess though, but I could care less. He is a good writer. I actually liked your Mags Talent..you're probably the only person I would actually take advice from..ahh well, stay up
    test
  6. LDogg The King

LDogg The King The High Life

good mag and im sad to see you go.. dont think im critisizing you and your hard work.. never was my intention.. but i do think the league needs to go in a new direction or atleast try to.. change can be fun...

8. L-Dogg...
    ...maybe it's me, but L-Dogg is better than some of you guys seem to give him credit for...his word choice and rhyme schemes are smooth and he can really hit on some great topicals...i realize that he's the "member you love to hate," but don't take that as a detracter...though he's never been a great storyteller, his topicals are some of the best.

word to that lol keep hatin people.. all these new names hatin on my shit.. old heads know wassup.. talent, truth,...ect..

anyway.. hope to see you around talent..
    test
  7. Mac Flow

Mac Flow Die

word good work, homie, for the last time

be good

pz
    test
  8. FórmÅl LôGíc

FórmÅl LôGíc Black Listed

Zippdy doo da!
    test
  9. Menso

Menso Go Lakers!

Good shit Talent.. Good luck with whatever is taking up your time..
    test
  10. Khôi NguJin

Khôi NguJin faith.hope.love

way to go out giving us your last mag drop. i'm sure you'll still be doing a top ten?

till then, peace out.
    test
  11. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

I hope he'll still do the top ten.. :( but he's hella busy, so who knows...

And BOOOOOO @ the term Poetical.

Fucking christ.

Either way, nice mag again talent, and good luck, hope to see ya back in the future.
    test
  12. General Concrete

General Concrete the infamous

this has to take a lot of time

thanks Talent
    test
  13. Smoke Trail

Smoke Trail Writing My Life

good work playa
    test
  14. MC4SiGHT

MC4SiGHT JOE COMMiSSO

goodbye rstl
    test
  15. dicnyaeye

dicnyaeye Guest

I always had major respect for you Talent and I hoped you wouldn't bounce on us as MOD, but I saw it coming.

I guess I have to embrace the changes that are going to happen next. Talent, I hope you're gonna sign back in the league when you stop Modding. I want a rematch.... hahaha

Great Mag man btw, you always give an insightful breakdown. I guess I'll have to try for verse of the week with the next Mod to write the Mag

It won't be the same without you folks, that's real talk

pz
    test
  16. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt New Member

interesting...
    test
  17. Og Simmson

Og Simmson New Member

where the fuck you going, and whose gonna do the mag from now on, and ranks and shizzle?
    test
  18. Status Qu0

Status Qu0 Hammer Time

what's with all the disrespect?
    test
  19. Khôi NguJin

Khôi NguJin faith.hope.love

lol unavaliabl3, someones not greatful.

oh well, time to write.
    test
  20. Tha Talent

Tha Talent , Tha Master.

honestly stat, last week you pushed the boundries too far.
    your verse was completely deviod of rhythm, flow, and rhyme
    that's all i was saying
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.