RSTL Chronicle: NEWBS AND VETS LOOKING GOOD - WATCH OUT NOW!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by DiC GeTs GuLLy, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

[​IMG]

Table of Contents

Introduction
    by Dic

The Numbers Game
    by Tali Rodriguez

Top 5 Matches of the Week
    by Dic

Top 5 Verses of the Week
    by Pent Up

Dic Interviews with Opera toonist

What Makes A Good Vote?
    by Dic

Wassup fools.... This was an interesting week in the league as things seemed to pick up with more people showing to their matches and actually giving some nice writing to read and critique. Many of the matches this week were a little hard to for me to decide on and that made shit like it's supposed to be in this bitch so good shit yall...... that's wtf I like to see. Some tension was also stressed as usual and of course I threw myself into it and started more shit.... lol, oh well.. It's what I do, I guess? The beef instigator.....

From a rule that I didn't remember to update into the new rules about not posting in matches before voting unless it's your match with the consequence of your vote not couting in that match, InsaneVillian posted reminders to everyone to vote in the Tag Tournament. Oops, also my bad cuz I should of notified you of that too. Anyway though, Pent banned IVs votes to enforce a rule that should been there, but wasn't because of me and...well, BEEF was inserted in the frying pan and the shit got greasy. Some fuck yous were thrown around, IV went on a parade of that in the league and MC Hookups and I just had to get in it. Lol, itwas myfault though so I humbled my superego and apologized to both for it. My bad ninjas...... IVs votes were counted and the rule was updated and everything should be cool now. Oh Lawd, there's a 3 way Champ and 3 way Contender's Match..... fucking fuckety fuck fuck

Speaking of rules, we'll have 2 new ones put into effect this week that should help keep things flowing nicely. First one is no more recycling folks...... That's right, if you're caught reusing a verse that has previously posted within the RSTL before, your verse will not count and you will receive as loss as if you didn't show at all. The people have spoken. The second rule was tied because Ron Deau didn't show to his match and has no previous record in the league so his vote was found illegal because he's not a legitimate member of the league...... so I'm making a presidential decision to enforce the rule on behalf of the bettering the league of no shows. This rule will change vote and due dates by a day. Verses will be due Saturday night and Votes will be due Monday night, which means matches and ranks will now go up Tuesday, but I may still put topics up Monday. This should help out the no shows that always seem to hit everyone even those who didn't want to put this rule in effect...such as...........

Atheist seems to be busy or preoccupied as he barely misses the deadline in the Tag Tourney and posts a late verse, only 35 minutes after the due time. Damn close man, so I asked the partipants of the match to decide if it would count and they voted against it. Ironic to me as Atheist voted to not change the due date to Saturday for this very reason and then has to discount his efforts for a few minutes. That tough shit too though as I would have liked to see how that 3 way worked out between 6 great writers going blow for blow in a nice matchup.

With some new people in the league, David Lama, Disused hero, TheReturn, Sacrifice, SteveTheGreat and a few others, I'm nicely surprised to see that there's some good additional competition to look forward to in our lil ole league. These guys are coming in and doin their shit so look out cuz it's not gonna be many easy wins that I can see from any of them. As a matter of fact, the newbs are doing a lot better than the ones we welcome back with former champ and respected Vet, I guess, no showing once again in jowelz and a no shoe by Atreyu or something like who's also been in the league many times before. Why is that the Vets seem to be wasting our time? Hhhmmmm, aye vets, if you don't want your proclaimed image messed with losses from great writing newbs, then use an alias when you sign up so you can actually show up and not look like a wack ass, chicken hearted fuck up..... Wwwoooooooo, now that's some good advice. Ninjas might wanna take notes and shit.

Some great matches unfolded last week though with Pent Up Vs. Sacrifice, David Lama Vs. Urizen, Vigil Vs. Gotlife, Claus Vs. Adderall and tournament matches Me and Moms Vs Insanevillian and Infinite Truth plus Pent Up and StevethaGreat Vs Vigil and Claus were all some good reads and tough choices to call in voting. The league is looking nice and I'm feeling good about being a part of the shit. Aight, mag time mothafuckas

Please take time to vote in final round of the tournament. It will count towards your votes needed.
    test
  2. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

The Numbers Game
    By: TaLi RodrigueZ

Statistics can tell the truth, but they also have a tendency to be
    damn good liars. So how do we establish when they are lying and when
    they are telling the truth? Furthermore, is there a gray area? You
    may also be wondering who in this world is qualified to make that
    determination. Well, since I am the one writing the article, ME,
    THAT'S WHO!

Indeed, the RSTL numbers game is a messy one to get involved with. As
    a result, some people may end up with an overly blown sense of
    smugness while others will feel like they are being picked on. It is
    truly not my intention to ruffle any feathers. I will attempt to
    present the optimistic and the pessimistic side of the points in
    question. Don't take yourself too seriously and we shouldn't have
    much of a problem as far as I can see.

A championship title is, perhaps, the accomplishment that lends itself
    to the largest variety of interpretation. On the high end of the
    spectrum, we have Vern Acular, who is the granddaddy of RSTL
    championships. As I mentioned last week, the fellow has won titles in
    every era of the RSTL's existence. The cynical side of me asks: In
    order to have been the champion 10 times, wouldn't one theoretically
    have had to lose the title 9? Obviously there are other explanations
    such as signing out as champ (A certified bitch move in my opinion. I
    understand if you have something else you really have to do in your
    personal life, but as a general rule, I feel like a champion owes it
    to the league to defend his or her title rather than just handing it
    off to other people who haven't officially earned it). In the case of
    Vern, one argument for his legitimacy lays in the fact that he is one
    of very few to have held the title for 5 straight weeks, not to
    mention that he's beaten just about everybody that this league has had
    to offer at least once. DIC is another interesting example. Many of
    DIC's titles have come after hard-fought journeys up the rankings,
    which culminated in him beating the reigning champion. At the same
    time, there were at least two times in the past year where the
    champion at the time signed out and thus landed DIC into a title match
    against opponents who may not have been there if they would have had
    to battle through the contender match, which in my opinion, is usually
    just as tough as the championship match. Either way, that isn't DIC's
    fault lol. The case could also be made that he hasn't generally been
    one to string together consecutive title defenses. That's a fair
    enough point. However, again, I urge you to look beyond the surface.
    What is a title defense worth? Take me for example. I defended my
    first two titles a total of 1 time and my last title 11 times. Break
    down the 11 times even further. One of my 'defenses' was a tie
    against Riko/Runna. Should my streak of defenses really be 11 if
    after three defenses, I tied someone? I don't know; maybe, maybe not.
    However, that is the way the league works. Ties happen in
    championship matches and we have co-champs. In another case, one of
    my defenses was against Insense, who no-showed. With all of this
    considered did I really defend the title 11 times or was it more like
    3 times and times? Would it be more accurate to say that I held the
    title for 11 straight weeks rather than calling it a defense record?
    Am I going way to fucking in depth here? I think so, but you get the
    point; shit isn't all black and white.

Moving right along…

Let us have a look at tournaments. The first few tournaments had
    something like 100+ people in them. Over time, as league
    participation has dwindled, so have the number of combatants in the
    tournaments. Claushouse won the first ever tournament and I'm pretty
    sure he had to beat 7 or 8 people to win it. On the other hand, the
    last two tournaments have consisted of 4 total rounds each.
    Obviously, it was a lot more work to win a tournament back in the
    beginning, but does that necessarily translate into an advantage of
    skill level if we were to compare, for instance, Claus and DIC? I
    don't really think so. I think DIC could do just fine in those bigger
    tournaments just like Claus could just as easily pull off a tournament
    nowadays. To add a little more ••••e to the stew, Richard Corey won
    the one and only Tournament of Champions, where only past champs were
    allowed to enter. I wasn't a participant in that tournament. Does
    that render the entire thing void (just kidding)? I really have no
    idea how to make any sense of this other than to say that it is
    awfully foolhardy to try to make blanket statements when comparing
    various accomplishments because there are so many other things
    factoring into the equation.

Another statistic that lends itself to scrutiny is the total wins
    category. Tekneek has 69 wins and JOOK has 16. They both have two
    titles. Who is the better writer? Nique has two titles and 25 wins.
    Where does she fit into the equation? When combined with his Runna
    DaMille account, Rikoshay has 47 wins. So does L Dogg; go figure.
    Speaking of L Dogg, its funny how everybody wants to rag on the guy,
    and yet he has two titles and a tournament championship. It seems
    that in his case, numbers and accomplishments don't mean as much.
    What is that about?

The topic of wins leads naturally into a conversation about losses in
    the form of the winning percentage statistic. Basing a person's
    writing ability on their winning percentage can be accurate in the
    sense that people with higher percentages tend to be the more
    successful members. However, comparing percentages to others in the
    league can be a risky endeavor. JOOK is ranked 3rd all time on the
    winning % list. Jowelz and Talent aren't even in the top 20 in
    winning % and yet he has 60+ wins and 5 titles each. Now, I love
    JOOK's writing. I was one of the first people to give him
    encouragement and tell him he was definitely going to win and win
    soon. However, I could never, with good conscience, put him up there
    with Talent and Jowelz in any discussion about the best writers to
    grace the league. At the same damn time, JOOK has beaten some of the
    best writers, namely RIKOSHAY and I (sorry lol).

What in the hell am I trying to get at with all of this rambling?
    Good question. I suppose my point is that I sometimes wonder if many
    of us get a little wrapped up in numbers and accomplishments and lose
    track of the overall purpose of this league, which is to write,
    regardless of who it's against or what it's for. Trust me, I love
    statistics. I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of moderating
    again if I wasn't afraid that you all would basically do away with the
    archives that a few others and I spent a good deal of time coming up
    with. At the same time, sometimes I have to remind myself that there
    is a difference between writing for the sake of writing and writing
    for the archives and that the former tends to be a lot more fun and
    much more fulfilling than the latter. But whatever, regardless of the
    cup of tea you drink, just make sure you know what in the hell is in that shit.
    test
  3. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Top 5 Matches ​

This battle of newbs gave us something to definately look forward to within the league. Showed me that yall better watch out cuz facing either one of them won't be an easy win for anyone.

5. Disused hero Vs. TheReturn

TheReturn had a very nice piece this week as he painted the field of war and the politics of it as well through a topical kind of story like rhyme sequence. The wording was great and gave the narration a good voice to follow which I liked. The character development was what I liked most of the piece as it was setup to be a game of chess where the rooks, the castles, where the most loyal of subjects. Interesting.... but I liked the way the pawn was developed the most. It gave truth to being the sacrificed lil guy that can be so crucial to the game as they manuever across the field and have great impact on the game if positioned correctly. Checkmate at the end.... although I've seen this done before with the chess scheme, I really liked how this verse was told because of all the different pieces having a character with the unfaithful queen, the bishop who also lost his faith and crooked knights. Good shit, pretty entertaining read all the way through. I thought the flow could of been done a little better maybe, but I still enjoyed it.

Disused Hero, man this guy had some great character development to his verse as her portrayed this lady with great details working through his piece to feel almost connected to his piece. The imagery was profound to me as it pulled me in with a colorful view of her depression which lead to her insanity. The way it was worded made the narration so smooth I read it easy and with great flow on top of that. The pictures that were painted with his words though, I know I keep saying that shit, but I was highly impressed with that, it was great writing in my opinion. Was kinda poetical at first with the descriptions of her beautifully written and the view of her mental state well displayed as well. Leading to the insanity of a flase persona as she's drugged to be a mood controlled freak on lockdown. The great character development is what gave this piece a strong connection to the readers I think and like I stated before, it's gonna be hard to face this guy in a match because his/her writing is high caliber shit. Watch out ninjas, we've got another black belt in the league.

4. Vigil Vs. GotLife?
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=1006013

Hhmm, thought this would be interesting, but turned out a lot differently than I forsaw.

GotLife had a surprisingly very well written verse to finally put on some higher levels with some great descriptive shit. His character was weirdly built, but the way he developed it was nice. The flow is improving with mr lifeless and his word useage was nicely done as well, seems like he's growing folks. Our lil ole Gotlife is writing shit that we can enjoy reading now. Jk, kinda, this was good though. The crazy shit of the relationship between the guy and this girl was nice in the details and structure of the verse and the blam of it all was a terrific ending that surprised me so I gotta give credit when it's finally due. I might have to start reading your shit now that I can actually respect your writing. The girl being dead and the guy being a mortician turned it from nasty to understandable he saw her beauty through his profession. I could of swore he fucked the corpse though, eeeww, nasty ass, beastiality isn't cool.... lol, it was grotesque, but that's what we love here I guess. Yay on graphic nasty shit.

Vigil did his thing as well this week, kinda similiar to his tag team piece with claus, he writes a satirable piece on the government and political policies that are constantly used in causing horrible outcomes of the world. A piece reflecting the capitalistic views of our country's warfare, political agendas and armed forces just being bullies of the world really. The narration was filled with nicely flowing rhymes and well understood passages. The witty guy also places emphasis on making lines that are noticeable when read and make you smile a little whilst reading them. Then of course, breifly stating how the poor can't even afford to die type of shit was nicely worded and gave me more smiles whilst reading. Some of the lines were a bit long and coming from me, that means they even longer, but the flow made that overlookable as it kept a nice rhyme scheme. I think Vigil writes about this topic too often though and it may have some of his pieces sounding to closely like other work he's written. He may need a new concept to cover as we can all see he covers the government policies well and how corrupt the system is. This was well written, but I'd like to see him write on something a little more creative, maybe even see him try to write a story and develop his writing even more to be a more diverse writer.... just something to think about.
    test
  4. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Top 5 Matches continued

3. Pent Up Vs. Sacrifice
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=1006011

A nice match up here as a Vet of the RBL takes on our People Champ. Great lines thrown by both and nice verses with good flows as well.

Sacrifice gives a good narration of his take on politics of war and illistrates it nicely with a great sense of narrative voice and damn nice flow with inners and multies packed throughout. The old time RBLer exchamp is obviously looking to add a title from this league to his belt...lol, maybe not, but this was nice nevertheless. I liked the way this was written as it was a story from the narrative point of a character driven sequence of events, but topical line structures with wit of how grewsome war can be to all involved and a strong message displayed through it made it topical as well. Nicely written and like I said, the flow opened this up. There were some lines in there that I found impressive in the way it was worded. Welcome to the club ninja and good shit, keep it up.

Pent Up , man, this was nice as Pent returns to the type of topical writing that made him a people's champ as voted this year. He's always good with these kind of cynical approaches, did I spell that right?, w/e.... He put a theme of ignorant kids that was really amusing with talking of how the youth wastes their lives on bullshit, laughing from solar plexes playing fold up tetris and shit... lol, hd me entertained throughout the piece with lines like that. The narration kind of switched up towards the end and started getting real mature and shit, less entertaining for this verse I think, but still making the point and well done.

Great Match Here and good showing by both writers in a topical match off which I haven't seen too much of lately.

2. Pent up and SteveThaGreat Vs. Vigil and Claushouse
    http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=1007022

Whoa, this was almost the match of the week for real. Both teams came with a great display of flow in some nicely voiced pieces.

Pent Up and SteveTheGreat came with a great piece filled with violent imagery and twisted rhymes that were put together in great sequences through the verse as they wrote it like their mind truly morphed together to put themselves in this drug dealers sick ass shoes.... wow, that's a fuckin long ass sentence. Lol, I liked this piece a lot. From the start it displayed a great fight event in the bar with gorey details that I love when done right and they did it right. I was obviously into this from the jump, but it kept going as they narration kept with great flow and some nice scenes. The ending was weird and corny with the guy building a ••••e wrack after sniffing some shit...lol, wtf pent? I liked it though, interesting take on shit. Good job by both and I like collaborated stories. Much harder to write cuz the characters have to interact on some levels. Anyway though, good shit.

Vigil and Claus did a topical piece on the Liberties of our nation. The narration was well worded, mature and dignified in the format and very nice in it's message of being in a corrupted pattern in government politics. The voice of the piece was great with nicely worded lines and good sequences of topical writing. The way this was done was really nice as it kept a view of things that say exactly what we all think.... why are we more concerned with all these other countries while our own nation suffers from destructive acts and left to wash away as baron wastelands with what happened in New Orleans through Hurricane Katrina. Every line was pretty powerful in the message that this government is suppose to represent the people, but doesn't represent the majority as the majority minded people of middle class and poverty dies because the politics won't and don't assist in saving their lives, just taking their there through taxes and shit. Fucking capitalistic, pig faced dogs of shit. Lol, great writing fellas and I highly enjoyed this match.

1. Contender's Match:
    Adderall V. Opera toonist

http://board.rapmusic.com/showthread.php?t=1006010

A great match of all aspects from my stand point. Verbally sound, detailed lyrics and greatly displayed structures and formats gave both of these verses something to have a problem on voting and choosing a winner.

Adderall gave a nice personal touch as he let us into his world of thought with this piece by opening up the reasoning behind his name. His 'happy pills' seems to be where the name Adderall comes from, being a perscription name for a remedy of depression. His rhyming in this was well flowing and nicely formatted, but the content gripped my focus and didn't let go of my attention at all. As the character development of this opens up to a desire to want to liked and accepted, but then realizes the importance of staying true to your own personal characteristics that make you unqie is crucial in life. So he accepts who he is and says fuck what people think of me. Makes ya wanna cry doesn't it? We all go through this at one point in our life where we have to see that we are who we are and although its important to take others into consideration, you have to be yourself and be comfortable with doing that. Everything about this piece was nicely done and bringing the personal touch with mentioning the league and how this helps Adderall express himself, nice. I'm not gonna compare it to something Vern would write because he's himself, not vern and he's writing about his individuality as well, but it was on that level of writing to me.

Opera toonist gives a well described and graphically portrayed piece between Satan and Jack the Ripper as the serial killer starts off as a religious man asking forgiveness for his sins and the priest that he confesses to is Satan... interesting take on things. I've seen Jack the Ripper done many times along with Hannibal and other named imfamous killers of brutal force, but this one was different in how the dialogue opened up the character development and displayed a weird connection between Satan and Jack. Satan is the evil God of this and is accepting Jack as a worthy follower of his in the evil intentions of the madman murderer. Conversing back and forth with the devil seemed played when I first thought about it, but as I continued, I actually thought it was well done and not just some sloppy way to explain the demented thought patterns of one of the only serial killers to never be identified.... I think the zodiac killer is one of the other main ones, but jack was far more known because he killed hoes in alleyes and docks. Anyway, I liked the character developments of Jack and The Devil, I liked the dialogue and the details of their mental connections, but it obviously lacked a lil in creativity since neither character is directly created by My Opera toonist himself. Still nicely written and very entertaining piece to read.
    test
  5. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Top 5 Verses of the Week

Sacrifice, a not-so-new up and comer who takes another step closer to his first RSTL title. Sacrifice dropped a peice that was half metaphor and half imagery
    of either a misfit or just some kid with parents who were military-idealists who was sent off to the military or boot camp or something, that part was left
    vague and to the imagination. What was NOT left to the imagination was a bonanza of vocabulary strung together in multi syllable lines that, weren't crisp,
    but however did lead a line to line narration that would undisputidly sound like seamless sentances. Seamless except the minor grammatical error and
    awkward wording, but hey who doesnt do that, most of didnt even graduate highschool....ahem I speak for myself on that though.
    [​IMG]
    Sacrifice on the other hand seems to be the polar opposite of that. Anyways The metaphorical half of his piece was that of the demons and how he
    signed his soul over(basically) when he was 'soldier,' but moreso his death was product of the killing he was forced to do. However, personally sac (im
    saying this because I obviously couldnt drop a vote), I feel your wording was convuluted in places and your metaphor broken (such as you called yourself a
    chained serpant and later reffered to yourself as a muzzled wolf). However congrats on the V

[​IMG]
    then Operatoonist must be someone named eddie, or dana depending. I can say this is one of the easier to read (for me either way) pieces that I've seen from
    him. The wording up until the rhymes are for the most part very precise, and describe alot in alot less syllables then it would take to keep it in lamens,
    but it doesnt subtract from the crescendo of the piece, as the further you get into the piece the ferocity of and vibe get deeper and darker. The piece is
    pretty straight foreward if you know the subject, but if you know OF the subject only then the piece might come off as massively creative, which is common
    with stories about a person thats already had a biography written about them; or is a current publicly known figure.
    [​IMG]This was a verse about Jack the

Ripper,[​IMG]
    however the read was on a more personal level as it wasn't a story about him doing what he did, it was a story of how he felt and what fueled him, almost

like a topical about him, lol. This verse hinges on blending god and the devil as one because he was thought to have an allegiance with the devil, but this

verse nearly contradicts that, while emphasizing it also (wtf? I know). A very well thought out verse that was upheld by decent multis, a smooth flow and a

seamless transition between dialogues, and narration. though there was little narration there wasn't much left to the imaginations, except of course the

amount of gore.

And contrasting Operatoonists' verse is SteveThaGreat, a new comer who will be leaving us shortly for personal reasons, (vacation shiiiit) in the
    number 3 spot for his stripper girl fantasy. Haha, not so much; this was about a girl who was abused by her gaurdian after her father had died and
    given custody to them. This was fueled by very cleanly placed multis that prolonged a very nice flow, sort of like mine (probly why I like it so much). I
    might be partial to the story because he made his character partial to authors (maybe ill get some play? haha, as like as saaaaaay...
    [​IMG]
    or Louis from family guy hehe) but the real reason, beyond any stupity I choose to credit him for, was his character development. Fused with that flow I
    mentioned earlier he carried on a story and developed a character simultaneously. I'm sure that doesnt sound remarkebly hard but at the same time he does it

in a manner which makes me enjoy the read. I guess the end of the story could be more developed but I'm sure line limits have something to do with that, so I

hold no grudges. Sad that he wasted such a nicely crafted verse on a no show; if people like Jowelz would acctually man up to their rep that'd be dope. I'm

not tryna start shit, im sure Jowelz had a reason for NSing, but none the less how hard is it to drop a verse? let alone when your supposed to be...
    [​IMG]
    Nevermind there I go. If Steve were to stick around I'm sure he'd get a title faster than most newcomers to this league. He is a fan of writing multis and
    sensible stories, two things that are voter-friendly in this league. An imaginative writer with a nice niche for making you vibe with his narrative

descriptions. Word fool.​
    test
  6. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

[​IMG]
    Atheist; I hear this is a recycled piece, or that might've been the one in the tourny that got DQ'd, either way, its my first time reading it, and I loved alot of it. I was particulary upset at your multi's this time around, and no I am not mistaken, some of them sucked, period. The beginning drew me in, about an ex-soldier that plays on the sidewalk with a tip jar. it was dope, the middle, the meat if you will, I didnt fall that much for, it was like a reminesence of war mixed with the emotions of the man, and in my opinion it didnt pan out well, but I did like the imagery of the trench bombing
    [​IMG]
    Overall though still an atheist verse that was led by strong imagery, a little more emo (haha bastid!) than normal, as there was no dialogue to develop the
    character, but atheist stepped outside the elements I see of him normally and forced that emotion upon you well. what particularly sparked interest in me was
    his ending. Epescially the metaphor of the guitar and the clouds, and the similie of the well and the jar. The ending, people (i forgot this wasn't a critique for a second since it didnt recieve votes) was a very eloquent apprasail of the mans feelings and a perfect summing of the piece, in my opinion
    anyway. Very nicely constructed story Athe, ranked high because of the ending.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.............

Insane Villain and Infinite Truth are making close chums with this guy:
    [​IMG]
    because my ninja killed them this round. so in number 1 this week its Blackbeard and Momma.

This sparked off hot with momma's verse as a dude at a masqerade party whos chasing ass but is seemingly intimidating because of his costume and the wild west attitude to go with it. Momma's verse is basically a setup verse, where the opener is all foreshadow, and well done at that, and then the main body of his is basically description and dude tryna get pussy. but the end of his verse is where shit sparks and gets interesting for a minute. Then, almost without notice you are brought into the eyes of characters two (each person wrote on a characters perspective, which is what makes this collab so hot, its dont so that each person is describing whats going on in the event, and while one is fucking in a closet the other one is telling you whats happening outside). character two is the 'killer in question' and I wont spoil how this verse ends, but all the strings are attached in the web they weave, and I give'em kudos for making a story with equally ill flow, constant progression, and covering all elements of their surroundings while maintaining to progress the story and add elements of imagery and intricity. Not many verses hit all elements nowadays, most focus on emotion and imagery, or narration and dialogue, or just two basically main ones, but this is what sets them apart from the rest: DETAIL. which is also why SteveThaGreat was ranked pretty high this week. Overall this verse was almost, if not the, epitome of what stories, limited to 64 lines, should look like, I mean that from a vague standpoint. There are other ways to make dope stories no doubt, but this one was definately something to be reckoned with. ​

Once again, if you think you are getting the shaft in my top 5's, step ya game up, or if you think you know someone who would astonish me, get'em to join!
    SHIIIT even if they wont astonish me, tell'em to join! that's all I can ever really stress, besides learn to use multis correctly; TE.LL YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN
    Pz folks
    test
  7. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Dic Interviews with Opera toonist ​

DIC Gets Gully: Ready?

claus: hit me

DIC Gets Gully: *balls fist, but decides to throw beer bottle instead*
    DIC Gets Gully: Lol

claus: lol
    claus: as long as its not american beer ill take it claus: wiat should i be formatting now did we start?

DIC Gets Gully: I'm sitting up this bitch, smoking a cig and sipping on some champaigne, hollaring at this writing maniac mothafucka claus...aka opera toonist. Wassup ninjamatic
    DIC Gets Gully: Yes, we've started
    DIC Gets Gully: Lol
    DIC Gets Gully: *bloopers music plays in background*

Claushouse: Yeah I go by a few names, Annihilation and Clawz, too lol, but I'm only one person (not mentally, at least). Pretty good, hungover, had a few too many bitch drinks in the form of cabana boy and parrot pay, class starting tomorrow.
    Claushouse: *(well, maybe not mentally). God, I can't even make a coherent sentence.
    claus: next question.

Dic GeTs GuLLy That's right, school's back ninjas.... I guess I can predo my rm code too. All gravy. Drunken ass ninja
    Dic GeTs GuLLy who's the interviewer in this biotch again? I thought that ninja was me
    Dic GeTs GuLLy anyway tho...... hurryin mothafuckas up ass, bleep bleep bleep... The league is looking pretty nice now

Claushouse: you're right, but i need to veil the illusion of my time being precious haha

Dic GeTs GuLLy after some hard work from me and my mod squad to improve things, the turn out is getter much better, people are showing with decent writing and votes and I'm loving it. What ur thoughts on how shit's working?

Claushouse: Yeah the league is definitely growing in terms of quality writers from both the old and the new, I noticed legends like Vern and Awedishin in the ranks this week as well as the formidable but in-and-out Thaumaturge, who is undefeated lifetime @ 10-0, which is a legit record and rather impressive (despite never winning the title) and interesting to see him pitted against someone else who is an RBL champ and made an impressive 8-0 run earlier this year in the form of Mr. Mynd.

Claushouse: Then you already had cats like Atheist, Adderall and Vigil in the league, and I've been impressed with newcomers from the PTL and elsewhere like TheReturn, Sacrifice and Disused Hero who all came with tightly scripted verses. I was skeptical upon my initial return; however, the current state of the league with the advent of banning recycling and the change in due dates from Friday to Saturday are going to help tremendously, and I think in terms of quality of battling the former is going to bring out better competition and the latter will dramatically improve showing, and is probably the best compromise between a No No-Show policy we had earlier this year which is too much work to manage & what was currently happening. People are against it now but just like when Pent uP lobbied for Friday due dates when they were Thursday, it will be embraced when they see the new policy in action.

Dic GeTs GuLLy: *Pats self on back* ooo, I got a pretty nice ass. I see why bitches always grabbing at my shit. Did I type that out loud. My bad... back to the interview, it seems like the Vets have less reliable to show in the past few weeks as Jowelz and Atreyu no showing, while the newbs are kicking some ass and impressing me. I like this disused hero guy and thereturn is cool too. Anybody new you looking forward to?

Claushouse: If I had to pick one I'd say I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sacrifice, who is actually already in the 'Contender Match' (Rikoshay informed me that Contendership isn't a word lol) and undefeated at 2-0. I found his mechanics and vocabulary to be pretty dope this week and enjoyed his verse, which held its own against an impressive Pent uP. Another reason I'm excited about this cat is that Tali Rodriguez brought this cat over to the RSTL and has lavished nothing but praise about him, and coming from a writer like Mr. Tali, that means alot.
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : no, contership isn't a word. Lol, we've gone from a very shady looking league to a pretty nice one and I wanna thank everyone for that. I do what I can so yall can do da damn... feel it and lets keep this shit jumpin.
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : with all the progress, I think it's making some Vets scared..... you're in another champ match, a 3 way one..... you scared? You got Adderall and Atheist to face... damn

Claushouse: The magazine is also starting to shape up nicely and returning to form. Yeah, a 3-way Champ Match with Atheist (whom I've actually never faced before) and Adderall is definitely going to be a tough one, they're both incredibly talented writers. That said, all three of us have been to the big show enough times to not really let it affect our writing, you just gotta put up a solid piece and either voters take to it or don't, it's really not in your control. You can come away with a win that on another particular week with different voters turn out completely differently, you have to just learn to shrug it off and keep writing.
    test
  8. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Dic GeTs GuLLy : yea, you got your work cut out for you. You gotta deal with me and moms in the final round of the tag tourney tooo. Damn, this is gonna be an interesting week. I'm putting in some new rules to help the league out. The new due dates and the no recycling rule.... I think both will improve the status of things. Any thoughts on that?

Claushouse: Yeah you're right, I'm actually more worried about trying to churn out two quality verses this week, one which I have to coordinate with Vigil in the Tournament finals, which is alot of back and forth cooperation between us to get it right and make sure we're on the same page, I think the results are worth it though. It was pretty disappointing to only find 3 votes in our Semi-Final after putting so much work into our verse. Hopefully alot of people vote in the Final this week to get a better sample from the RSTL population in declaring a winner.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : yeah, I should of notified everyone that they should support the tournament and vote.... I've addressed that as my bad... My bad yall. I make mistakes too... The Tag Tourney has not turned out as great as I thought it may have, but it was fun. Did you enjoy it? wish more people would have showed, but I can't help that

Claushouse: Yeah like I said, I really think the rules being implemented this week by you, Pent uP and Tali are really going to improve the league. Later due dates will keep more people in the league, who, instead of saying "fuck it" on a Friday, can wake up on Saturday morning or afternoon (depending on how you pick your poison) and write something, and the recycling issue will keep things fresh (I've read about 7 different writers for the second time, myself included, in the last 3 weeks lol) and prevent people from abusing verses they've already had judged and force people to be creative, work around topics posted and avoid the league becoming stagnant.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : cool, I can feel that. There's no more pussy in the league. I miss Nique. *wipes tear away* lol, I do though and other femcees like Erikah Caine, Roc C or Jai Z (her current name), Soular Dike, Lucifer Leviathon and them.. What do you think we can do to encourage more ladies to join? Curious

Claushouse: Well thankfully the No No-Show rule transfered over from the last tournament was put in place, and while the turnout was disappointing to an extent, we're quick to forget how this happens at just about EVERY tournament we have, especially with a tag team element (which many writers were forced to forego and write their verses alone). I think the spirit of the tournament was kept alive with mostly people who collaborated together moving on, and there were no freebie wins, as past tournaments in 2004-2005 had in conjunction with smaller turnout, which wasnt a problem in 2002-2003 because, in 2002 for example, there were 7 rounds you had to go thru, so no shows aren't nearly as crippling to the event's integrity. I think those who did show were veterans so overall it was still a success, albeit not a great one.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : we need a females perspective every now and then. Sausage fests doesn't work for the dic

Claushouse: So to answer you're question lol, yeah I enjoyed it, Ive been having fun collaborating with Vigil.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : cool, look up at the other question. Lol

Claushouse: Also MISSKEYdaQUEEN and Tha DQ are femcees worth mentioning

Dic GeTs GuLLy : ok, duly noted. Get em in here..... Dic needs more ladies to fondle with.

Claushouse: It's tough attracting females to compete in a genre that garners alot of pissing contests and testosterone-heated arguments and egos on top of the fact that Rap is currently institutionalized more towards men. Thankfully there's alot of prominent female rappers like Lil Kim and Missy Elliot making it alot more commonplace to have women being active participants in creating art rather than being the butt-end of stereotypical objectification that's so boring and commonplace even today, and I think even songs that don't have an overtly degrading message are still behind the times, overprotecting your "boo" and treating her right like the trophy wife you want her to be isn't much of an improvement over calling them bitches and hoes.

Claushouse: But the sample of women in the league will slowly reflect those in the population as, like in other institutions such as Education for example, women begin to fully incorporate themselves as equals. If you look a college enrollment, women now exceed men; the college I went to a few years back was 66% female; I sure as fuck ain't complainin' lol.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : Are you running for a political position at rm or something. Your answers are awfully pc..... all gravy though. Mr sophisticated. I think women fighting is some sexy shit though. Hhhmmm, put Nanijah and Jai Z in a tub of jello to battle, I'm there fa sho..... I'm just kidding though. It's nice to see a full spectrum of writers and that's what I'm looking for in the league. People say beef helps escalate things in here to keep it lively. For some reason, I'm known as the beef guy, do you think my beefs have assisted the growth in the league?
    test
  9. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Claushouse: I think there's a fine line between a beef that's enjoyable to watch unfold and one that becomes exausting to have to constantly endure. I don't anyones beefs, myself included, help. The reason is that the league is a competitive one that relies on objective voting as the scoring system and it's humanly impossible to omit subjectivity, it's a matter of minimizing it in the goal of attempting to achieve total objectivity. Battles go on, voting occurs, and votes in your battle from people you're beefing with are construed as biased, as are yours, further beef ensues in hookups/aim/matches, and it becomes a vicious cycle that transfers over into coming weeks, slowly tangles more people into the web and continues, until "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" syndrome occurs and suddenly you're best friends because of something new happening that puts you in that situation.
    Claushouse: The nature of the league isn't propice to it, unlike sporting competitions or whatnot that are arbitrated by people NOT participating in the league.
    Claushouse: That is the inherent flaw of these types of leagues, especially when the sample to population ratio is awful, it makes every vote crucial.
    Claushouse: If you had a thousand people voting in every match beef would probably make things more interesting, but alas that isn't the case.
    Claushouse: That said, I think most of the voting in this league is pretty good, when there is a clear winner in someones mind pretty much everyone votes honestly, when things are 50/50 things get a little blurrier and we all tend to rationalize a bit in terms of the quality of writer, if we know them, what their repute is, etc.. but that's life, it's not a big deal.
    Claushouse: In terms of your beefs specifically, I think running the league and talking shit are probably asynchronous endeavors, and they probably have differing effects; some people are motivated by conflict, while others are off-put by it. Personally, the thought of your egotistical ass winning another tournament is definitely a motivator, moreso than winning another one lol.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : I agree that beef doesn't help at all and I take offense to being called such a beef causing person. I'm a kind hearted individual that just tries to give what I can and expecting some sppreciation for it instead of all the bitching and bullshit all the time.... voting seems to be getting better with certain people leaving, I think. Never really thought Forrester or Flor were decent voters... that may start another beef huh? Oops "dad dic", anyway... I think we need to encourage the good voting too. Can't really avoid hater votes anymore and shit seems to always happen in some matches.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : school just started though and you got a whole new pack of high grads in college... Are you a fresh meat preditor? Don't lie....
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : hello?

Claushouse: Kids coming in tend to stick to their high school friends the first-year before actually broadening their horizens, and I can't deal with the bullshit tween drama most of these freshmen girls sport. I overheard walking campus today these three freshmen girls... I'll paraphrase the snippet I caught: "OMG, I'm so nervous about going to a frat party" "yeah, im TOTALLY not drinking the first time" "yeah me too" "I heard this one girl got roofied once". I hit it off with this freshman last year and we go back to her place and we're getting it on and she stops me and she's like "I'm not going past this on a first date just to make sure you're serious about me" I resisted the urge to pull out my cock and slap her in the face and just walked out and never talked to her ever again. If I want to date Cosmopolitan, I'll buy a fucking copy. Most of them aren't on birth control, or immature, or virgins, or get extremely clingy, I really think in general in terms of fresh meat Sophomores are the ideal choice and it weeds out the sorority whores who put on the freshman fifteen and sport a beergut wearing tanktops spreading herpes around to ugly, fat frat boys

Dic GeTs GuLLy : you know you're gonna go groping on some teenage asses and hump on some jean fillin freaks after that kegger tonight.... keep it real ninja.. Ok though, we're gonna play a quick game of is that ninja dope? I'm gonna name a writer and you tell me what you think of em. Ready?

Claushouse:hit me

Dic GeTs GuLLy : your good ole buddy Vigil

Claushouse: Vigil is more accomplished than most writers his age, he's still got some growth to do, especially in terms of focus and clarity. I think his strong point is his wordplay and imagination, he's a very good writer, but he often runs with those strengths into ambiguity and the topic or subject matter is hard to discern, you can find creativity and other writing niches within a structure, even if your thesis and supporting arguments aren't in your face they still need to be present in the verse, and so sometimes I'll be reading one of his pieces and be like "wow that was fucking dope... I have no idea what the hell he was talking about but it was a dope read". He does find himself centered at times and creates some terrific verses, hence a runner up in the last tourny and a league title.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : wow, that's a big response... Vigil is nice with it. what about Pent Up

Claushouse: Another good writer, I feel like his real life emotions spill into his progress in the league though, he was like the Phil Mickleson of the RSTL, ie, best player to never win a title until recently, and not for lack of talent but because they'd self-implode, he'll come into a champ match and just not give a fuck and throw it away. So when he is motivated and ready to rock and roll in real life, he's able to concentrate on his work and he produces material that's extremely polished, tight rhyme schemes and he's underrated in terms of people named as insanely creative (DIC, Cereal Killer, etc.), and the reason why is that you have to have read a particular verse on a particular week where he comes in with the right mindset. I think his long tenure as mod has led to a certain apathy which ALL MODS get doing shit that nobody fucking appreciates and he's been modding for almost 2 years when most burn out in mere months, so I think it's hurt him as a writer.
    test
  10. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

Dic GeTs GuLLy : good memory.... I think he's improved to great heights actually though. Actually, you're pretty luck to have gotten past him and stevethegrat in the tournament. Ok, though.... next, Awedishin

Claushouse: I haven't read anything from him in the last 4 years, I honestly have no fucking idea other than what I've heard from others, which is that he's an extremely talented writer and his accomplishments speak for themselves, talked to him online before and he's a nice guy, too - definitely a plus having him in the league.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : ok, fair enough.... calloused

Claushouse: Very mature writing style, story-centric but with good mechanics, he's got alot of writing skills and is a very discriminating voter (in the good sense), unfortunately he has a life, unlike the rest of us, and therefore has been unable to make an impact on the league; all the vets know and respect him far more than his record would lead one to believe, however.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : I have a life.... I'm offended niglet. Lol, w/e tho... what about GotLife

Claushouse: I think he's improved alot over the past year, in terms of success I think he'll be a coherent and non-skitzophenic Tekneek at his pace, he's good against mid-level opponents because structurally he's sound in terms of development and using multis and inner-rhyme and he sets his pieces in the real world using imagery and emotions so he has all the pieces of the puzzle. Vs. top cats he's an annoyance because he's good enough that if you fuck up he can beat you, but if you don't strive to be creative or have a polished piece its going to be a close battle, which it is anyways because there's alot of newer voters that are seeing RSTL pieces for the first time and not able to discern between a good piece and a great one, especially in terms of originality when vets have seen things overused and played. I don't consider him one of the best writers in this league because I don't think he takes risks or very creative approaches to topics, he's rarely if ever willing to leap into the fictional and his usage of vocabulary and his overall wording, while good, isn't what I'd call great writing. He's a good writer who often enough creates pieces I enjoy, however, and his confrontational nature often leads people to dismiss the fact he's fundamentally solid and capable of winning matches.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : yea, last week mr. Lifeless surprised us all with a well written piece and a surprising ending. Several times better than anything I've read from him.... moving on though.. StevetheGreat

Claushouse: lol is anybody still reading this? I haven't read much from him other than what I saw in the tournament, I know he's Pent's boy from the PTL and have heard good things, from what I remember reading he seems like a good writer with solid mechanics and nice vocab with a penache for the more poetic-style of writing
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : Cool, yea, this is getting long. Two more people.. First, Thaumaturge

Claushouse: Too sporadic in terms of his appearances I can't really remember, the last verse I read from him was somewhere in 2005, I think he tied someone dope then signed out, Im pretty sure I can safely make the following ambiguous statement with relative accuracy: Dope writer, solid mechanics.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : ok, cool... Next person, my left nut.
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : Hahaha, on the Dic does my writting
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : seriosuly though, what you think about Vern

Claushouse: He's obviously produced the most quality material of any other writer in this league, and I think that when you've dominated the archives for so long over a span of several years with like 120 matches under your belt, people acknowledge youre the "most accomplished" and then often followed by a quip like "overrated" or "I could have beaten him that time" or whatnot. If you took his 30 top pieces and pitted them against anyone elses top pieces I don't think it would be much of a competition. People rationalize by focusing on one or several of his less impressive pieces as evidence, so I think Vern is probably one of the more underrated cats in the league in the sense that while his accomplishments aren't overlooked, his pieces oftentimes are as is his talent. He has every aspect of the RSTL gendre down to a tee, each week is simply a matter of how much effort he wants to put in relative to the topic he picks.
    Claushouse: He's one of my favorite writers, I still consider Richard Corey the best I've ever seen, but Vern is definitely up there.

Dic GeTs GuLLy : Vern underrated? Lol, can't say I agree with that. People rate him as the best mostly. Can't get rated higher than that. I think he could write some stories every now and then cuz topicals get stale to me, but ok...... good shit man and thanks for your time.
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : anything else you wanna say before we bounce... a ninja needs some bud
    Dic GeTs GuLLy : my lungs are staving for some good smoke to fill em with nourishment

Claushouse: Nah, that's about it man, good luck to you this week. Malo, don't no show you lazy fuckin' crumpet-eating english bastard

Dic GeTs GuLLy : and you've heard it folks... Malo eats crumpets.
    test
  11. DiC GeTs GuLLy

DiC GeTs GuLLy Hello

What Makes a Good Vote?
    by Dic

For the 2-3 years that I've particpated in the RSTL, I've always seen various ways that people will calculate the winner and loser of a match. It's all opinion based of a persons enjoyment so how are we to say a vote is unworthy of being casted? Doesn't seem fair does it? People often feel, people like myself included, that members will cast hate votes because of how they feel about a certain writer. Maybe even go as far as to hide under an alias just so they're hater vote tactics aren't observed in advance to avoid. I've seen this as well and not just solely done to me, but omen was a great at casting the hater vote in my direction under his various aliases and he's not the only on to employ this strategy. So, I ask you again, what is to be considered a good vote for our league?

Obviously honesty is the first and foremost important factor in voting. Biased judegements often cloud this when voting in a friends match that you care or crew member (I've voted against Tali and Pent, still love em), voting for a person you dislike (I can vote for gotlife and tekneek if they win abd I've done so), voting without fully understand or barely reading the verses....the quick overview bullshit, and various other factors should be considered when voting because if they aren't, the league suffers from the dishonesty and it makes are members feel unappreciated and down right violated for giving their efforts in writing verses.....and I feel that shit.

Other things like content, flow and narration, character development, imagery and graphic portrayal, vocabulary used in rhyming, sequence of events... I could go on and on. I actually use these factors when deciding who I believe should win a match without letting my personal feelings get in the way of the writing. Yes, I'm saying I'm a great voter. Can you say the same thing though? I was once asked by a Mod at the time who was writing a similiar article to this, what elements do you use to decide a winner in matches..... He respected me as a great voter and I have kept that in me to always be an objective and honest voter to keep this place honest.

Often, I see people that obviously didn't read the verses accurately, base votes on a liking of content instead of the direct writing elements involved in producing verses, I.e. Verses covering grose subject matter or unusal content look unfavorably upon and such personal things that I don't feel should be involved in the direct voting process.....but we have to vote so how do we avoid that?

Looking for the elements of writing and judging matches based on that would be a lovely way to get over it. Narration/flow/writers voice, this should be critiqued as how well it helped the verse move. Content/sequence of events/ transitional structuring should be used as well. Not solely to say, I liked the topic picked, but in how that topic was displayed and how the verse went from opening to body to ending and the way it progressed through each segment. Character development/ details of personality of narrator or main subject matter in topicals..... often I see this widely overlooked in votes, but it shouldn't be. People say, oh that was predictalbe, I saw it coming. Guess what then fool ass, they did they're job in producing a character that you could identify with. That's not always the case, but it often is. Emotional build up/conclusions drawn/twisting endings..... this is seen as too crucial of an element at times. Emotions are good to see as well as surprise endings, but that isn't the basis of a good verse and it seems to play too important a part in people's view. They add to the other elements like character development and narration so that's where they should be critiqued and not given an entire seperate category for judging on it's own. I could obviously keep going for hours and hours on this because I and most of the people I've known in this league consider me a great voter. Are you considered to be a great voter? If you don't agree with what I've said, then you're probably a main factor fucking up the voting process right now.
    test
  12. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

Good Mag...

Enjoyed the Interview...

Got Snubbed Again...

Kudos...
    test
  13. TheReturn

TheReturn Life of the Party

Word...

Was enjoyable, and loooong. Thanks for the mentions.
    test
  14. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

Acctually clause he's not I met Steve because I needed a partner for the tournament, and he's not from the PTL, he's from a different site

but no doubt, represent represent

dope shit dic/tali/clause
    test
  15. SteveThaGreat

SteveThaGreat Zeus

dope mag as usual... this whole fucking league is dopeness. best i've ever seen across 4 different sites. it sucks that i'll be ghost for a couple of months cause i'd really like to see where this shit takes me.

but anyway, props to everyone involved with this league and peace until another day.
    test
  16. SacriFICE

SacriFICE TRUspeak

Thanks for the props, I appreciate the love shown from everybody.

I hate when I fuck up with grammar though, especially when I can't find where I fucked up.... so lemme know next time ! haha...

And yeah, I see what you're saying about the broken metaphor, I can see how that could be a little unclear..., in my defense though, I do fiddle ALOT with reader interpretation... usually intentionally..sometimes not.. this time.....not....haha

Anyway, thanks Claus and Dic, and thanks Pent for giving me a good battle...

Next week should be a good one.

Peace.
    test
  17. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

^^i wrote part of the mag too, lol

but yeah, we get to meet again
    test
  18. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

here comes another of my breakdowns of the magazine, similarly to last week.

Atheist seems to be busy or preoccupied as he barely misses the deadline in the Tag Tourney and posts a late verse, only 35 minutes after the due time. Damn close man, so I asked the partipants of the match to decide if it would count and they voted against it. Ironic to me as Atheist voted to not change the due date to Saturday for this very reason and then has to discount his efforts for a few minutes. That tough shit too though as I would have liked to see how that 3 way worked out between 6 great writers going blow for blow in a nice matchup.

yes. being that i live in the uk, i usually post my pieces on the friday, just to make sure i'm showing on time, etc, because i'm not entirely sure of the time differences. however, for the tag tourney, i decided to leave it until saturday morning (about 9am to be exact, i was hungover and it was difficult to get up from my bed) to see if my tag partner had left me a private message. that's the sucky thing about living in the uk when your partner is in america; he could send me a pm on friday night (his time) which would probably be 5am (my time) and i'm usually asleep by then, like most people. so i had to leave it to saturday morning to throw something up. so i apologise for my late showing. since it was only 35 minutes though, people usually let that slide. my opponents must have thought the verse was too good to compete with. so thanks for the compliment, fellas, lol.

Please take time to vote in final round of the tournament. It will count towards your votes needed.

noted.

On the high end of the spectrum, we have Vern Acular, who is the granddaddy of RSTL championships. As I mentioned last week, the fellow has won titles in every era of the RSTL's existence. The cynical side of me asks: In order to have been the champion 10 times, wouldn't one theoretically have had to lose the title 9? Obviously there are other explanations such as signing out as champ (A certified bitch move in my opinion. I understand if you have something else you really have to do in your personal life, but as a general rule, I feel like a champion owes it to the league to defend his or her title rather than just handing it off to other people who haven't officially earned it).

very true, and i agree. that's why the "number of title defences" in the rstl archives is an important characteristic to consider. someone may have only been a champion once in this league, but they may have defended it ten or more times in that one sitting. that's a huge achievement in itself. hopefully i can continue my current run of two defences against all these new up and comers who have continuously surprised me with their potential and writing abilities. i look forward to the challenge.

Speaking of L Dogg, its funny how everybody wants to rag on the guy, and yet he has two titles and a tournament championship. It seems that in his case, numbers and accomplishments don't mean as much. What is that about?

so, l dogg, why does everyone hate on him etc? i was around for this episode of rstl history, similarly to how i never had a clue about all that "convicted biter" stuff. someone fill me in, please.

JOOK is ranked 3rd all time on the winning % list. Jowelz and Talent aren't even in the top 20 in winning % and yet he has 60+ wins and 5 titles each. Now, I love JOOK's writing. I was one of the first people to give him encouragement and tell him he was definitely going to win and win soon. However, I could never, with good conscience, put him up there with Talent and Jowelz in any discussion about the best writers to grace the league. At the same damn time, JOOK has beaten some of the best writers, namely RIKOSHAY and I

agreed. the best writers on this site usually started off on this site, or where just beginning to find their styles etc around the same time that they joined this leage. therefore, they will obviously have numerous losses as they come to terms with their inner writer. i'm sure if i, or any other 'vet', signed in under an alias, we could create a pretty darn good record that could stand up along side the best in the "winning %" category in the rstl archives. but where's the fun in that? it's more enjoyable to write under your own name, and just get on with it.

Atheist; I hear this is a recycled piece, or that might've been the one in the tourny that got DQ'd, either way, its my first time reading it, and I loved alot of it. I was particulary upset at your multi's this time around, and no I am not mistaken, some of them sucked, period. The beginning drew me in, about an ex-soldier that plays on the sidewalk with a tip jar. it was dope, the middle, the meat if you will, I didnt fall that much for, it was like a reminesence of war mixed with the emotions of the man, and in my opinion it didnt pan out well, but I did like the imagery of the trench bombing

the piece i posted in the champ match this week was recycled from another site. but i've never used it in the rstl or on this site period. i wrote it YEARS ago, lol. that's why the multies were crap. and, as you could tell, it wasn't my typical 'story' piece, but it was more of a topical. i think i wrote it three years ago, so i don't know how it could grab the number two spot in the top five verses when there were loads of new folks who had better verses etc. thanks for the mention and honour of number two, but i sincerely believe i didn't deserve the accolade. it should've went to one of the newbies, because they really REALLY impressed me this week and, as aforementioned, i look forawrd to the challenge of battling them in the future.

continued below...
    test
  19. Atheist

Atheist Storyteller

Dic Interviews with Opera toonist

damnit, tali, you were supposed to interview me, lol. however, as i've already mentioned, it's difficult for us to converse given the time differences etc. i'm sure we will cross paths on msn soon enough though, because i am eager to do an interview for the magazine. it would be my first one ever in the rstl, and i've been part of this league, on and off, for four years.

it seems like the Vets have less reliable to show in the past few weeks as Jowelz and Atreyu no showing, while the newbs are kicking some ass and impressing me.

cosigned.

Yeah, a 3-way Champ Match with Atheist (whom I've actually never faced before) and Adderall is definitely going to be a tough one, they're both incredibly talented writers. That said, all three of us have been to the big show enough times to not really let it affect our writing, you just gotta put up a solid piece and either voters take to it or don't, it's really not in your control.

too right. and i can't believe we've never faced each other before. that's crazy. we've both been in the league together for so long now you'd think it would've happened by now. especially since this is my second time facing adderral in a month or so. just remember adderral, that one loss in your record is because of me, lol. i'm not afraid to give you another.

Yeah you're right, I'm actually more worried about trying to churn out two quality verses this week, one which I have to coordinate with Vigil in the Tournament finals, which is alot of back and forth cooperation between us to get it right and make sure we're on the same page, I think the results are worth it though.

agreed. it was very difficult to formulate a good tag team verse because of all the back and forth etc. but it's worth it in the end, chaps.

The Tag Tourney has not turned out as great as I thought it may have, but it was fun.

the tag team was decent, but it could've been much better. however, the big plus is that the league has sprung back to life, and there are actually five or six matches to vote on now. which is always good because it shows that people are actually itneresting in showing up and participating, and it also gives me the opportunity to scope out the competition. even if i don't vote on your match, i still read all the peices that are posted. i'm strange in that way.

Claushouse: It's tough attracting females to compete in a genre that garners alot of pissing contests and testosterone-heated arguments and egos on top of the fact that Rap is currently institutionalized more towards men. Thankfully there's alot of prominent female rappers like Lil Kim and Missy Elliot making it alot more commonplace to have women being active participants in creating art rather than being the butt-end of stereotypical objectification that's so boring and commonplace even today, and I think even songs that don't have an overtly degrading message are still behind the times, overprotecting your "boo" and treating her right like the trophy wife you want her to be isn't much of an improvement over calling them bitches and hoes.

Claushouse: But the sample of women in the league will slowly reflect those in the population as, like in other institutions such as Education for example, women begin to fully incorporate themselves as equals. If you look a college enrollment, women now exceed men; the college I went to a few years back was 66% female; I sure as fuck ain't complainin' lol.

i couldn't help but laugh at those sections. claus was so colloquial in his writing up until this point, then bam, he recites all these statistics etc through a more complex vocabulary than he was previously using. lovely.

I overheard walking campus today these three freshmen girls... I'll paraphrase the snippet I caught: "OMG, I'm so nervous about going to a frat party" "yeah, im TOTALLY not drinking the first time" "yeah me too" "I heard this one girl got roofied once". I hit it off with this freshman last year and we go back to her place and we're getting it on and she stops me and she's like "I'm not going past this on a first date just to make sure you're serious about me"

haha, oh my god, american students sound so fucking gay. i'm glad i live where i live, cause we don't get any prissy bitches like that up in belfast where i go to university. thank god (irony aside considering my user name).

overall, this was another great mag. the voting section at the end was a nice addition as well. thanks to the mods for putting in the work for the mag's week in, week out. it's good to see this league running properly again. so, with all that said, all that's left is a cheerio from me. bye bye, folks.
    test
  20. Got Life?

Got Life? Resident Megalomaniac

reading atheist's feedback on the mag reminded me that I wanted to bitch at claus...what kind of girls do you guys have in maine man...girls here @ Rutgers...home to one of the higher STD rates and one of the better party schools in the nation....well they just fiend to come to frat parties...welcome week was fantastic...and I love bangin out with these girls before they realize that going to frat parties is for idiots.

But they don't figure that one out till about Junior year.

and that is all...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.