Routines?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SinLuciano, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

I'm thinking for April / May doing something like...

Monday - Shoulders / Legs
    Tuesday - Chest / Upper Back
    Wednesday - Arms / Back Arms
    Thursday - Lower Back / Cardio
    Friday - Chest / Upper Back
    Saturday - Shoulders / Legs
    Sunday - Arms / Back Arms

What's your guys current routines looking like?
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

hahaha @ back arms
    test
  3. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

Am I missing something? One of the most important work-outs imo tbh... they figure into most other work-outs.

We do skull crushers / pull over + crunch combinations / close grip bench / ect ect.

Generally we'll super after biceps / arms work-outs such as preacher bench, curls, isolation curls with dumb-bells, hammers.
    test
  4. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

it just struck me as funny, calling triceps "back arms"

i'm gonna use that now. shit cracked me up!
    test
  5. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

At first I thought you found it funny that I worked out backarms; I was confused lol. It hit me after my reply what you really meant haha. :funny:

I guess I should use the legit terms though!
    test
  6. Gwame

Gwame no luckycharms in ireland

Chest and upper back on the same day makes it hard to get enough work done for each. And giving that pairing as much attention as your arms seems imbalanced. I'd pair legs with lower back, if anything, and cardio preferably more than once a week.

I split by function, so typically lifting 3 DAW with something like

Day 1: Legs (quads, hams, calves... includes lower back because of squats and DLs, so I might add in hyperextensions to round it off)

Day 2: Push (chest, front of shoulders, triceps)

Day 3: Pull (upper back, side and rear of shouders, biceps)
    test
  7. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

The majority of regular weight lifters and gym goers I know split chest & back on the same day... also a popular combination in plenty of workout and fitness magazines. We generally superset... so a chest and back day will be something like...

incline bench with dumb bells followed directly by lawn-mowers for 8 sets.
    then champagnes, followed by fly's, followed by bent over rows for 8 more sets.
    followed by hitting the track for cardio to speed up muscle development.

If you think about it...some of the way you're splitting up your routines should be weakening certain work-outs and slowing down your development my dude.

Think about it...you do chest and tri's in the same day...whichever one you're doing last is going to be working out a muscle group that's already fatigued.

If you hit chest for 8 sets...then you jump on tri's...you're not going to be able to go as hard as you should be on tri's as if you split them up with your biceps or legs or something that has nothing to do with the other.

Same with your legs and lower back...If your legs already tired out by the time you get to the deadlifts; you're not DL'ing to your full potential...or vice versa you're not doing squats to your full potential. But if it's working for you and you like the results keep at it.

By the way we spend over an hour and 45 minutes in the gym every morning. Generally doing 8 sets of 5, 6, or 7 different exercises for the muscle groups and hitting the track on days we have extra time to do so... so on any day we definitely get enough done for each group.

Food for thought my dude think about it. Let's see if zyclon or thesteve would agree?
    test
  8. Gwame

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that spending that long in the gym for a single session will inhibit you more than benefit you.

And the way you're looking at the fatigue issue can be seen in the reverse. You don't HAVE to hit the triceps as hard because you already did with the chest. That's the point. You kill two birds with one stone, or even 3 or 4.

And the fact still remains that chest and back are muscle groups much bigger and much more important than upper arms, so giving those two equal attention can't really be justified. And it's undeniable that most weightlifters over-train their arms anyway.

Doing squats and deadlifts on the same day can be really difficult considering they're the two heaviest lifts you can do. And they've a lot of similarities as exercises. For that reason, I prefer squats followed by stiff-leg deadlifts. Then maybe leg curls, hyperextensions and calf raises.

Please continue though, this is interesting.
    test
  9. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

I see your point. I'd like to get a third opinion in this thread honestly. Because you definitely have an argument. That's just how I've learned to workout. I've been as high as 285 lbs on the bench & 415 lbs. on the deadlift / 365 lbs. on squats. (keep in mind I'm only 160-165 lbs.) and don't use any whey protein shakes or creatine. So I always figured it was working out alright. You have a point with the fact that you're working your tri's while your hitting the bench. I'd still rather hit my tri's to their fullest potential - as in have them fresh so I can go heavier, you know? I'd be interested to see where your maxes are at now and how much you improve in a month (depending on if you're trying to go heavy or cutting up though?) - Either way I might try out your routine in a couple months for awhile. It's always good to switch it up and keep the muscles surprised.
    test
  10. Gwame

The way of splitting it (like what areas you group together) can come down to personal preference.

But hey it's like you said yourself - if it's working for you, it's all good. I'm just speaking in terms of logic, the balance seems off - mostly that there's too much focus on arms.

Honestly though, I'm kinda OCD about certain things, and for me everything has to be in a natural proportion. There's so much misinformation in the world of fitness/health that the surest way to figure out the best approach is to research everything yourself and gain a solid understanding of it. Personal trainers, magazines, websites, etc... they all have a tendency to tell you what you want to hear in order to keep you happy and sell more, like exploiting the toning myth, or "lower abs", or other buzz terms that essentially mean nothing. But I digress...

The best way of constructing a routine, that I've found, is from this guy called the_wolf, who's ridiculously knowledgeable with all this. He wrote a guide to creating your own routine here: the_wolf's Guide on How to Create Your Own Workout Routine

He's also got this list of 21 routines, where everyone can find one that suits them - and they're all detailed and thought out. 21 Workout Routines

Let me know what you think. That page is perfect for someone who might not be an expert on creating routines and wants to go for the sure thing.
    test
  11. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

test
  12. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

when i lift i do my routine like this:

legs/shoulders/lower back

tri/upper back

bi/chest

20 minutes cardio after each workout except bi/chest when i do 20 minutes sprint intervals.
    test
  13. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

As far as squats and deadlifts in the same day, that's not a good idea. With a push/pull/legs split the deadlifts should actually be performed on the pull day, not the legs day.

An hour and 45 minutes is considered too much. After about an hour your testosterone levels start dropping off and your cortisol(catabolic hormone) starts increasing. If you want almost 2 hours in the gym a day, a better idea would be to split your workout into two sessions for the day, morning and evening. Which is pretty impossible for most people... Everyone is different and you may be ok with it Luciano, but just consider that you may be hindering your gains to a certain extent. Then again, everyone's different and your body may be able to recover quickly enough to handle it.

Recently I was doing a push/pull/leg 3-day split, with some acessory work on lagging body parts for 2 other days. But now I'm working on a 4 day opposites split, hitting a couple opposing muscle groups a day, like Sin's.

I'm gonna have to start doing some cardio with speedo season coming up.
    test
  14. Gwame

I don't consider the deadlift situation to be quite that simple, but I definitely see where you're coming from. I wouldn't do full squats and full deadlifts, high sets, high weight, etc. on one day.

Either I'd do squats, and then stiff-leg deadlifts - or else alternate between squats and full deadlifts on a 3-weekly basis (squat x 2, DL x 1).

Steve, since you've experience with the same split I usually do, out of curiosity, did you fit in much core work? I'll often do some lower back exercises after I've finished hams, but I rarely isolate abs. Though I also think it's often best to train them the way they're designed to be used - as support during heavy compound lifts. Plus, the six pack has always been the easy part for me.
    test
  15. SinLuciano

SinLuciano El Capitan

I never knew that about the levels dropping after an hour. I generally still feel pretty strong toward the end of the workout...even though I'm not sure if that means anything. Learn something new every day - appreciate that info. Does it make a difference that it's me and a work-out partner? So I'm not actually straight lifting the entire hour and 45...because I'm generally spotting when my work-out partner is lifting and vice versa..****pending on the workout. Some days we do just super out for almost the entire time though.
    test
  16. The Steve

I do isolated abdominal work. They're hit to some degree with compound lifts but not to the extent that I feel they've been nearly exhausted enough without additional targeted isolation.
    test
  17. The Steve

It could make a difference that it's you and a partner, depending on how much down time there is.

I would suggest maybe just switching to two 1 hour workouts a day for a week or two, or just one 1 hour workout a day for a week or 2, and see if there's any noticeable difference.
    test
  18. TheIlliterate

TheIlliterate Well-Known Member

LOL back arms.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.