Romanticism Question?

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by *Deuce Wilde*, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *Deuce Wilde*

*Deuce Wilde* aka stfu dave

what are the characteristics of poetry during the romanticism time period? i have to do a project for school and write poetry and tell why it is "romantic"...any help would be appreciated...
    test
  2. Sykda

Sykda New Member

Poetry is romantic cause it has to do with our feelings. When someone expresses there emotions with beautiful words and phrases, people think it's "cute" and romantic. You dont get a lot of poems from someone that likes you or something like that.. so if you were to, you would think its romantic, cause its cute and uncommon...

Remember, that is just my opinion. So take it how you want, but Thats why I think its Romantic..
    test
  3. predicate

predicate New Member

^You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. He's talking about characteristics of Romantic poetry, as in poetry written between 1785-1825 (give or take five years on each date), not why poetry is fluffy and nice and pretty.

Anyhow, to answer the question, the first thing we can notice in Romantic poetry is a slight turning away from Enlightenment Rationality. The Enlightenment poets were hyperrational in their poetry, and were too busy analyzing their subjects, dissecting everything they wrote about, while describing it. The Romantic poets realized that there is more to life than this, and started focusing on the spirit of things, not just the things themselves. To us an old expression, the Enlightenment poets saw only the trees, while the Romantic poets saw the whole forest.

Don't get me wrong. The Romantic poets did not disregard rationality altogether. It's perhaps better understood when we consider Kant's Critique of Pure Reason and his distinction between analysis and synthesis. The Enlightenment poets were analysts only. The Romantic poets strived for a synthesis: an understanding of the world around them, plus an added significance to it. This is where we get Wordsworth's half-creating eye; the eye that half-perceives and half-creates. "The Prelude" explains this way of thinking perfectly.

There are many different things worth mentioning, too, such as the ballad revival, use of blank verse, and especially the French Revolution and the difference in reactions between the two generations of Romantic Poets (Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Southey in the first generation; Keats, Shelley, and Byron in the other)....buuuut I'm not going to explain everything for you, now.
    test
  4. *Deuce Wilde*

*Deuce Wilde* aka stfu dave

test
  5. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

test
  6. Madnick

Madnick Modern Laureate

to me i think it helps express the inner most feelings of a person and poetry is very romantic depending on how it is presented.
    test
  7. predicate

predicate New Member

^Another retard.
    test
  8. absolute zero

absolute zero Among the living

you'd think they'd read the replies too before actually replying themselves
    test
  9. For the Cause

For the Cause Liberty needs glasses

predicate,what is dis mothafucka talkin about???

poetry shouldnt have limits on it,
    but u the only smart one,huh?
    u need a life,patnah

"^You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. He's talking about characteristics of Romantic poetry, as in poetry written between 1785-1825 (give or take five years on each date), not why poetry is fluffy and nice and pretty."

mayn u act like you the only one that knows about that shit,
    anyone can learn about that in high school if they really wanted to,
    test
  10. MC_Paste

MC_Paste

damn the man knows a lot about poetry...
    test
  11. predicate

predicate New Member

The man asked a question, and motherfuckers are popping in this thread and having a Why-I-Like-Poetry Sharathon. If you don't know what the fuck is going on, sit the fuck out and shut the fuck up, Patnah.
    test
  12. For the Cause

For the Cause Liberty needs glasses

:sobs:
    you hurt my feelings,haha
    to easy to get a rise out of,
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.