ROLAND FANTOM X vs YAMAHA MOTIF ES

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by J.Mack, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loud Enuff

Loud Enuff Loud Enuff Productions

and the polyphony doesnt really matter much...
    the only thing that does is the expandability..
    test
  2. metastatik

metastatik New Member

Motif ES - Preset: 768 Normal Voices + 64 Drum Kits

MO - Preset: 512 normal voices + 64 drum kits

http://www.yamahasynth.com/#

LOL @ polyphony not mattering...not even gonna bother with that.
    test
  3. diabolic

diabolic beats for the streets

E-mu PK-6 W/Mo Phatt/Xtream Lead /Orchestra Rom will be the same cost of a Fantom XA and would kill it.

Also E-mu MP-7/Ensoniq ZR-76 Rom/Xtream Lead/And a Nice E-mu Midi Controller would = a Fantom or mo61 or TR61 and would kill them..

Theres alot better u can do with ur money but if ur stuck buying new i would just get a Roland Fantom XR and a Midi Controller call it a day
    test
  4. Loud Enuff

www.musicians friend.com
    Yamaha MO6
    "175MB of expressive, powerful sounds"
    "1,859 waveforms"

Yamaha Motif ES6
    "huge 175MB wave ROM"
    "1,859 waveforms"

so i dont know what to believe.. and the polyphony, i didnt mean like you dont need polyphony i meant like its still enough to get down like james brown..
    test
  5. Loud Enuff

test
  6. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Yean lyin... i fucked wit it a few times b4... synths are crazy, and i'm talkin stock synths, so who knows what u can get if u fuck wit em... That ES has the richest pure instrument sounds tho... Pianos on both are nice, but the ES is killin em with the strings, brass and woodwinds... shit sounds so fuckin rich (think of Scott Storch...)
    test
  7. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

wow..
    test
  8. metastatik

metastatik New Member

I dunno why Yamaha did that...probably cause it would have cost more to make a new ROM. Those figures definitely matter...presets are built from waveforms...but the MO has less presets...that's all I was trying to say.

For a workstation, 64 voices is just not enough anymore. Put it this way...pro stage pianos...which are really only used for piano (one sound)...have 128 voices.
    test
  9. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

???

It won't really matter when you'll b rockin two keyboards, like J Mack...between the Roland and Yamaha...thats what...200 voices?

You'd have to be doin some crazy 50 piece orchestral white man shit to use all that up.

About the MO and Motif...from what i understand, the MO has all the same waveforms , but a few of the patches omitted...I know with most of these stripped down versions, they usually have a place online where u can download the missing patches, and import em with a Smart Media card or sumthin.
    test
  10. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

but until then the extra polyphony might be useful
    test
  11. Loud Enuff

64 polyphony is fine...
    test
  12. Loud Enuff

"Polyphony is the property of an electronic musical instrument which describes how many notes it can sound at one time. An instrument which can produce multiple notes at a time is said to be polyphonic. If an instrument is capable of playing 16 notes at once, for example, is said to have 16-voice polyphony or 16-note polyphony"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_(instrument)

on 64 note polyphony you could play a major 7th chord on all of the 16 tracks flawless....

seems how hes a hip hop producer, not a conductor of an orchestra 64 note polyphony is FINE..
    test
  13. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

^^^ thank u... people are trippin, u get repped
    test
  14. metastatik

metastatik New Member

It's probably over your heads, but here's a real explanation:

"A simple, one layer tone uses 1 voice of polyphony when you press one key. Press down a chord of 4 keys and you have used 4 voices. If the preset uses 4 layers, as many do today to get a "phat" sound, then your chord uses 16 voices."

"Rule of thumb, 32 voices is usually enough for 4 or 5 tracks. It's relatively easy to run out of voices in a song. 64 voice polyphony will get you close to 8-10. At the dense parts, you may notice it. With a 128 voice machine you can usually get 16 tracks. "

http://www.tweakheadz.com/midi_synth_modules.htm
    test
  15. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i know what polyphony is lol. I just think why not have more than u need at times kuz u never know when u might wanna do some crazy layers or something
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.