ROLAND FANTOM X vs YAMAHA MOTIF ES

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by J.Mack, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Mack

J.Mack Highly Under-rated

well hmm....I got some shit to weigh.........I wish i had the dough to get some workstations and racks and shit, some fiyah vst's and all that thurr.
    test
  2. Sean "G"

Sean "G" New Member

i got a fantom x6, im pretty sure it has way more features then the motif, but if you dont want roland sounds, a sampler, drum pads, skip back sampling, color screen etc... then go with the motif

to me a fantom is a motif and an mpc put together, not exactly but in a way
    test
  3. Premize Prod

Premize Prod aka reggie kush

Ok so you've heard from all these cats most of which don't even own them but yet somehow are analyzing them. Peep ga,e. I owned the fantom x8 and I have the motif es rack. Pound for pound off the bat sounds I woukd go with the motif. I don't know who said that the motif acoustic sounds are impressive but they must be on crack. 90% of the tracks I hear now are made with motif sounds. Esp rnb. Motif runs rnb right now. And as for the strings sounding the same, I couldn't disagree more. They all sound different.
    And there are a lot of them.

I mean I would go with the es. Mainly becuz fantom guitars are fucking pitiful. And they can't even touch the es organs.
    test
  4. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

ive never had any

but shit y not just get the racks
    and get a midi
    test
  5. J.Mack

cuz i wanna use some hardware....

So say i can cop this workstation with the card.....
    I was lookin at another workstaion that i could afford to cop from american musical fro $330 a month 3 months....
    Its the Roland Juno-G....Anybody fuck wit it??? the demo looks promising
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=756&ParentId=83

If i could get the motif then get that on the side that would be dope.
    test
  6. kojo

kojo New Member

yeah he's basically right, i have the motif ES rack too and i tried out the fantom X before copping it. The fantom DOES have better synths...in my case, it's a non issue because I use the Motif mainly for acoustics/drums/sound FX and I have VSTs for the synths. Its the way to go in my case, less tracking out of audio in cubase lol.

in order to get better acoustic stuff than the motif, youll want to get those expansion cards, they are nasty but expensive at $250/pop. Best thing is to have both, pick one and go with the other later, you cant go wrong.
    test
  7. kojo

kojo New Member

Check out the Alesis Fusion homie, its only $999...a workstation with sampling, several synth engines, and knobs and can load akai libraries (you can DL those for free off bit torrents). that will hold you down plenty until you go with a motif or fantom rack.
    test
  8. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

The Fantom Has a lot more sounds to choose from because they use alot of variations of the same samples with different inserts, leaves the programming to the programmers. The motif has been running alot of the eastcoast and west coast sound movement cause it has more authentic sounding acoustic instruments and EPs. Its not heavy on synth sounds and synth basses. It has a few choice bass patches, but it makes up for it in Guitar patches. The Fantom has better basses and better mapping for the Electric basses cause the patches alow you to double up on notes faster like on a real bass guitar. For synth shit, honestly I wouldnt rely on either of these, I would get a real synth like a MS2000, Novation A station, V synth or an analog synth. If you need a large variety of sounds grab a Fantom. If you are a programmer and need a good set of authentic sounds....grab the motif. people tend to forget that insert effects are often what makes the difference on a patch and nothing more, so if anything step your insert effect routing game up on whatever you use.
    test
  9. J.Mack

I've made the decision.....I'll cop that fantom first.......then later on when my dough is right i'll get that motif es 8 (i like the max amount of keys)....
    U guys have been very helpful...
    thanks.
    test
  10. StoneWarrior68

StoneWarrior68 New Member

If you use Cubase SX3, then the Motif has an extra special relationship with it. You have total recall between hardware and software. Create something using the Motif and Cubase, VSTi's, audio tracks etc, but don't bother bouncing the Motif's tracks to audio. Just save the Cubase file as normal. Next time you open it up, all the Motif's settings come back together like a VSTi. In fact, you have a interface just like a VSTi to edit any and all of the Motif's instruments FX etc. It's a lot easier than fiddling with that tiny window on the Motif Rack itself. So that's pretty serious right there if you're using SX3. Otherwise, I think the sounds on the Fantom is probably as good as the sounds on the Motif, maybe better. particularly the guitars I think are better than on the Motif Rack Es.

I'm probably gonna be selling my Motif Rack Es though. It's just so much easier working purely digital than dealing at all with anything outside the computer.
    test
  11. KhanDST

KhanDST New Member

my man, dont worry bout the samash card...get a midi controller or a synth other than the fantom n motif, then save the 2gs, n buy both the fantom xr n es rack from rmcaudio.com for the price of one of those 2 boards and enjoy em all
    test
  12. kojo

kojo New Member

lol i feel u, but that shyt comes in handy it takes a bunch of cpu/ram slack off the computer. only thing on the computer i use for sounds now are sample loops and synths like the moog or albino.
    test
  13. Premize Prod

if you aint rich that would be stupid as hell.. why would you get two full synthesizers when you are going to sequence on the PC?
    test
  14. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

u gotta be rich for that? its cake to some but I know heads who make that much in a paycheck and still struggle to pay rent
    test
  15. J.Mack

You don't gotta be rich fam.....I'll do that instead of throwin 24's on my ride.....Instead of buyin weed by the ounce.....Instead of buyin jewels....Instead of coppin erry pair of J's.....
    Niggaz waste money on shit like that all the time and its considered cool so u tellin me makin such a musical investment is dumb???
    No sir. . .
    I appreciate ya concearn but i don't believe it is really affecting you when I spend my money...?
    I'd just rather have the boards.
    test
  16. Premize Prod

]man your taking wat i said wrong. do i give a fuck how much money you have? no. i said you aint rich. if you have to save or sacrifice than there is no reason to get both of them.

basically wat the fuck im saying is that it is stupid to SEQUENCE ON THE PC, and buy both synthensizers when your gonna be using them for the sounds. thast wat racks or for. yea its coo if your pharell and 2gs aint shit. but if you talking about sacrificing shit than its stupid. because your not doing anything but using the sounds/effects for the most part. which is wat a 1,000 dollar cheaper rack is.

i could give a fuck less if you buy it or not. that wasnt my point. im not concerned with wat you do with your money.. my point is that its stupid to do so. whether you buy it or not. thats what im saying.
    test
  17. Mike Watts

Mike Watts Since 1984

you can create any sound you're looking for through dedicated sampling of instrumtents, effects processing, or a bit of tweaking. it's not the board it's the person behind it.
    test
  18. J.Mack

I completely dig what ya sayin man....And thats cool....All I'm sayin is I'd like to have the boards....Like I said, I'll at least need one board cuz i play live and I'll need to carry it around.....Then later on, I'd like to cop the other board....Then later on, I'd like to cop some other board and shit, maybe have up to five boards in my setup....I know you've seen such and feel me....I'm well aware of racks.....I'd just rather have the boards....Thats all I'm sayin
    test
  19. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

When I said that, I should have re-worded it...there are a whole lot of different strings...but with many of them, two or three that have different names will sound very similar to each other. So if it's, say....80 different strings on there (I haven't counted), it really seems more like its 30, which is still a good number because they are strong. But many of them do sound similar to each other.
    test
  20. Loud Enuff

Loud Enuff Loud Enuff Productions

well i just watched the video for it at the namm show and it says its got all the same sounds..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.