ROLAND FANTOM X vs YAMAHA MOTIF ES

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by J.Mack, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Mack

J.Mack Highly Under-rated

Which one is better pound for pound.......

I think i have a samash card comin in the mail and I'm gonna cop.....

The motif seems like the more popular board and I've worked on both a little bit....
    I fucked with the motif a few times at guitar center in pattern mode (didn't really know what i was doin) and I made some nice trax with all dry sounds....

I worked on the fantom wit my homie and we've done about 8 trax on it together but he always controls shit for me so I wouldn't know much about it......

Fuck sequencers, I'll do that on pc but as far as sound patches and shit.....Ease of use.....Fx....all that shit......

I hear word that many downsouth producers prefer the fantom cuz the synth game is sick on it....But shit, I'll also be doin some live playin on whichever board I get so pls just throw some suggestions though i know its all personal preference and opinion.....
    test
  2. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

chyea good thread.... anyone know which has the most "powerful" sequencer? cuz if I'ma cop one of these mayn I wanna good sequencer cuz I'ma do the whole shti right then n there instead of trackin shit out as I make it...
    test
  3. Ejuhcaited

Ejuhcaited ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

[dskillz]FL + VSTs = better + Cheaper, dont waste ur money [/dskillz]

lmao j/k

I personally like the Fantom better...I make south beats aswell

I notice Mannie Fresh, T-Pain, DJ Toomp and Jermaine Dpri are usin the HELL outta the fantom...while ppl like Scott Storch, Alicia Keys and them Neo-Soul ass producers be usin the Motif
    I'd say if ur goin for more Traditional Instruments - Motif, but if your lookin for futuristic ass insturments-fantom

when i say tradiitonal and futuristic...what i mean is like if u got the new Isley Brothers album, compare Blast Off to Gotta Be with u...if you had a band w/ real instruments u could do Blast off (Traditional) down to a tee, but if you tried Gotta be with you or Forever Mackin ,(Futuristic) (especially those pitchbended Acoustic Guitars) itd prolly sound like some white people music LMAO
    test
  4. ThaPaleFacedNinja

ThaPaleFacedNinja ive been nice

i own both of them, you really need to fuck with them... see which fits you best.. go to guitar center go threw every patch.. see what get you going..

i enjoy the motif though
    test
  5. DjayCasper

DjayCasper Eh Fuck It.

i liked the patches on the fantom

but im not experienced with either enough to comment on it

the only thing id use the shit for is recordin an instrument/melody and dumping it into the pc for everything else

which ever can do that the easiest ima go with that
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

i think u should get the MO it has all the sounds from the Motif es and the sequencer but no sampler and the sounds on it are crazy
    test
  7. Dre Derelict

Dre Derelict New Member

motif motif motif
    test
  8. metastatik

metastatik New Member

No it doesn't....it has a lot less sounds...plus it only has half the polyphony and it's not expandable.

I think most people would agree that the Motif has realistic instruments on lock. What people overlook is that it has a way deeper synth engine too...the presets are just weak. Plus, adding the PLG expansions is like buying complete synthesizers to put inside the Motif...Roland expansions just add sounds.

Roland probably has the edge on effects.

Never used the sampler or sequencer from either.

In terms of control...I prefer the Motif because it has wheels and the ribbon controller. The Roland joystick kinda sucks IMO...it has the D beam though...and the pads...but those suck too. Couldn't tell much difference in the feel of the actual keys.

As far as ease of use...hard to call cause I've been using Roland gear since I started...so I'm familar with it and it was easy to get going with the Fantom...it has the better display obviously. Yamaha does things a little different...so it took some time with the manual to get comfortable with it.

You might wanna take a look at the Fusion too...especially since they just lowered the price. That's got the most powerful synth engine out of the box...4 different synth types including physical modeling...plus some pretty nice real instruments as well....and it's constantly being updated. It's got a sampler, 32 track sequencer, HD recorder and USB also. $1000 for the 61 key compared to $2000 for the Motif/Fantom.
    test
  9. J.Mack

I'm seein errbody say the motif but u takin it home for me E....I love synths and I did take notice to mannie using it.....Man, I just love to go out on the futuristic tip....
    I never play with the fantom in Guitar Center cuz I don't know how to work it but that motif seems a bit more understandable and I can do a few things on it.....I figured it had the more "traditional" instrument patches from what I browsed through and listening to my homie's beats tonight from it.....

Paleface, u say u own both....Which one has the best sequencer to you???
    test
  10. J.Mack

U make some good points but I've never heard of that fusion shit....Who's it by??? Lemme check it out cuz that price sounds great.....
    test
  11. metastatik

metastatik New Member

test
  12. cyi-borg

cyi-borg New Member

something that aint been mentioned in this thread that NEEDS TOBE .. is the expansion game of each

in which case

Roland's expansion cards reign surpreme

i "pimped out my fantom" with expansion cards.. its a problem
    test
  13. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I donno....I have had a Motif ES Rack and I have never liked it a whooole lot....I was on the Roland JX-305 from 99-2005, and for what I do, the Motif hasn't really changed my sound or gave me THAT MUCH more of an advantage. The synths on there are all techno soundin, and people say it's good for acoustic instruments but it's not too many on there that really stand out to me. It's not too many good bass sounds for rap, the drums are decent and probably better than the Fantom's, the pianos are decent, strings are pretty good but a lot of em sound the same with different names, the synths are usually bland other than the signature ones you hear too much (Lil Jon Synth), the guitars are better than my JX-305 but not too many are just that strong, the E-Pianos are pretty good, and the "ethnic" type sounds that are usually seen as Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, etc. etc. are very average.

So I donno...I guess it just depends on the person. I am really thinkin of tradin this plus some money to get the Fantom rack.
    test
  14. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

im goin off of what the guy at gc told me when i was lookin at gettin the es rack i havent actually sat and counted the sounds lol
    test
  15. besian

besian U.RoW.P.N Bl00d

If u sequence on the Computer i'd suggest u this : buy the rack versions of both,and u still have enough money left for an heavy weightet MIDI-Controller...............

peace
    test
  16. Dre Derelict

Dre Derelict New Member

I was actually told that it has more sounds too. By a guy a Guitar Center, and my mans who uses the Motif keyboard/workstation.
    test
  17. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

I wouldn't go by what "sounds good for hip-hop". I'm sure people thought bright ass synths were only for techno, but now that Lil Jon racked up multiple hits using bright ass synths those same sounds are suddenly good for hip-hop.

If you plan on being computer based, i'd definately say go for the rack versions. They usually (like 90+ percent) have more sounds than the keyboard version and really the sounds are all you're gonna be using them for.
    test
  18. -GZ-

-GZ- Posts Unfunny Pics

im lookin into the alesis fusion...

thing looks sick
    test
  19. J.Mack

Will that take away from sound quality vs doin it all on the board???? I need the board anyhow cuz i play live.
    test
  20. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

Nah it sounds the same...and it's still possible to play live with one. I know a lot of Jazz musicians who will have 2-3 racks with whatever controller they have.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.