Rivalry Series: East vs. West - The Chronic or Enter the 36 Chambers

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Jul 19, 2013.

?

Which album is better?

1. Enter the Wu Tang: 36 Chambers - Wu Tang Clan

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. The Chronic - Dr. Dre

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Both are similar in that they both presented a bunch of solo emcees in a group context before they branched off and did their own thing... 'cept one is east coast and the other is west coast... which album is better?
    test
  2. the rhyme king 25

the rhyme king 25 Member

the chronic for me perosnally and easily the better produced album
    ever and the lyrics were fire also with snoop doggy dogg kurupt lady of rage and rbx
    test
  3. Twamp

Twamp proper weaponry

Chronic is more entertaining. i love Wu Tang and that album is considered classic but i still find it a little boring.
    test
  4. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

Not a fan of either. I can understand why the Chronic gets so much acclaim, but I can't for 36 Chambers, it really wasn't that seminal when you think about it.
    test
  5. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

really you dumb as fuck

:qplosin:
    test
  6. My Kall

My Kall Well-Known Member

I think Wu Tang were dope lyricists for their time. I just don't understand why people think 36 Chambers was so ground-breaking, Black Moon, Mobb Deep, Fat Joe, Notorious BIG, Nas, Redman were already making street-oriented grimy East-Coast Hip-Hop at the same time or before Wu-Tang, and a lot of East-Coast crews/rappers that followed on from Wu-Tang over the next 5 years either matched or surpassed Wu-Tang musically in that time-frame. I just dunno why Wu-Tang are so worshiped ahead of others.
    test
  7. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

both in my top 5 albums ever

if i had to choose....

wowww

i wouldnt lol
    test
  8. Halfway_Crook

Halfway_Crook Well-Known Member

To this day I haven't heard The Chronic. Something has constantly been putting me off. I think it's the fact that I anticipate it to be pretty simplistic lyrically and too much Snoop.
    test
  9. Geedorah

Geedorah King

test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

lol... the chronic easily...

chambers was dope...

but the chronic pretty much helped shape hip hop as a genre. thats how dope it was.
    test
  11. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

The Chronic is nice, very dope. But 36 Chambers is just amazing, the beats, samples, atmosphere, each member's style, the lyricism.
    test
  12. koolbreeze1981

koolbreeze1981 Member

Both Classic.

But I go back and listen to Chronic more than I do Chambers. And there is nothing on Chambers that comes close to "Nuthin' But A G Thang" .

To me that track is in the group with The Message, Rapper's Delight, Brenda's Got A Baby, etc., as one of the greatest tracks ever produced in Hip Hop.
    test
  13. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

Method Man alone shits on The Chronic.
    test
  14. koolbreeze1981

koolbreeze1981 Member

I ain't LOL like that in awhile. Keep 'em coming.
    test
  15. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

The Chronic
    test
  16. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

It was groundbreaking in that it started a legacy of signing solo emcees to a group first and plus they were on an indie label... they sorta birthed "indie hip hop"... Black Moon and Mobb came afterwards and followed a similar aesthetic...
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

You give The Chronic too much credit... Tribe shaped hip hop more than The Chronic... lol... you have to consider hip hop as a whole in order to understand that statement... I think your perspective is from The Chronic forward... you forget a lot of rap that came before that.
    test
  18. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

You should definately check it out.

I voted the chronic but im still not sure, 2001 was one of the big albums when i was at school i got alot of love for the chronic aswell. Ive given both a listen today and i was sure each was better when i was listening to them lol.

Both are amazing albums. Everytime i hear tearz i want to listen to after laughter, both are great tracks.
    test
  19. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Man, 36 Chambers was stupid dope. But I do remember most people on this board hated the kung-fu samples though lol
    test
  20. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Halfway, The Chronic is not simplistic lyrically... Kurupt is on there... lol... I've always felt Kurupt was the illest on that album, not Snoop... but that's me... Snoop added MAAAD style, though... I love his hook on "Rat-A-Tat"... I love Dre's productions up until that album, when he was more on that boom bap shit.... RBX was dope, too, lyrically.
    test