Rich Franklin. Should He be Allowed 1 More Title Shot?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by LungZzZ, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Should Rich be allowed one last run @ the Title?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2012.
  1. YES! If Chael gets another try, Rich gets as many as he wants!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO! RICH is WEAK man, did you see the second round vs Wandy?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. LOL I legit thought that picture was Rich!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If Rich wins against top competitiors, I don't see why a Title shot is 'Out of Order'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LungZzZ

LungZzZ Well-Known Member

Rich Franklin
    [​IMG]
    Rich, a dominant Middleweight/Light-Heavyweight fighter, has been fighting professionally for 13 years. He has amassed an impressive 28-6-1 record, which has included bouts with MMA Standouts Marvin Eastman, Evan Tanner, Lyoto Machida, Ken Shamrock, Anderson Silva, Yushin Okami, and last but not least, the Axe Murderer Wanderlai Silva. Though the last six years have documented Rich's fall from grace (going 7-5) he was a 21-1-1 fighter before so, and has a decent head on his shoulders, though his chin seems to be weakening.

Debuting in the middleweight division in 2004 (5 years after being a Professional fighter), it didn't take long for Franklin to earn a belt shot, as it came against the Veteran Evan Tanner a year later (Rich winning via TKO in Round 4). He would go on to defend the title two more times, before loosing it to the hands (or knees) of Anderson Silva. After the defeat, Rich would never claim a title again, though he would fight for them. He eventually moved back up to Light-Heavyweight, as well as fighting at other Catchweights, the minimum weight being 190lbs; claiming a couple Fight of the Night and Knock out of the Night awards a long the way.

I honestly don't have much respect for Rich, and I have even refereed to him as Bitch Franklin on different occasions, but I have to admire his will. The champ of that Division is you know who, and if Rich is still down to fight him for a third time, the man has nuts...

What do you guys think? Should he even be allowed to fight for the Title again?
    test
  2. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

I admit I did think it was rich in the pic lol

he couldnt beat anderson in his prime. Y try now?

he cant finish wandy, beat vitor, or really anyone else
    test
  3. LungZzZ

to be fair I think Vitor is the best in the division other than Anderson (and the newly acquired Lombard, though he is untested in the Octagon.)

Rich has finished a number of fights too, but recently yes, he is usually in a decision. I think the man deserves a shot as much as anyone else (He is actually a fan fav in many states), IF he can get to it.
    test
  4. Makabreli

Makabreli done

he's getting older.

he's an all time great though, don't know how that can be disputed.

ps -

[​IMG]
    test
  5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

in the past few years he has only beat two aging legends.

I agree he was a great fighter, but I dont think he could beat anyone else in the division above wandy. I'm a franklin fan 2, but lets be honest he doesnt deserve a title shot for beating an aging fighter every now and then

vitor will fight for the title again no doubt.
    test
  6. LungZzZ

wtf when did Rich do that lmao
    test
  7. Makabreli

Makabreli done

I don't really understand why people are acting like Franklin is one of those shot fighters. His only bad loss or performance was against Forrest Griffin, who actually used his size advantage for once en route to a smart victory.

Other than that, he got blitzed by Vitor (no shame) and lost a very controversial decision to Hendo.
    test
  8. FarooqHakim

FarooqHakim Dot Dorbal

I mean, if Rich wants another title shot, he IS the guy who was champ before Silva. He was a dominant champ before Silva came around too. Make him fight a top 5 Middleweight first, and if he wins, why not?

He beat Yushin Okami already, you know, the last guy who was given and opportunity to fight Silva.

Rich Franklin arguably should have won against Dan Henderson. When I first watched the fight I thought Rich got it, I know a lot of people thought Rich got it. People are saying Dan Henderson should get a shot at his choice between 205 and 185 champs, because he beat two Pride legends, and apparently people haven't caught onto the fact that it's not that big of a deal.

Rich Franklin may be the first person EVER to not get an immediate title shot after knocking out Chuck Liddell. I guess it was a big deal for Shogun to KO Liddell a few months prior.

I don't even think Rich Franklin has even lost at 185 to anyone not named Anderson Silva.

He's obviously behind Chael Sonnen in line, clearly. I personally think Rich Frankling would probably lose to Chael Sonnen as well, and if I was betting, I'd say Chael. That being said, give Rich Franklin someone like Bisping or Munoz or whatever and if he wins, let him fight the winner of Chael vs. Silva. Chael Sonnen has poked fun at Rich Franklin before saying being champ would be easy beating guys like that, I'm sure it would be easy for the UFC to market a fight like that purely from a business standpoint.

I guess if he misses weight in his next fight at middleweight as well, even if he wins in dominant fashion, it's probably a sign that he doesn't need a title shot either.
    test
  9. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

since his last title shot against silva he beat 2 alright guys, and since then lost against 3 elite fighters and beat 2 over the top fighters.

of course he didn't get an immediate title shot he was the third guy in a row to knock him out. and by the way those 2 other guys won the light heavy title and lost it right after.

but its not quite the loses he has had, his record is really not that bad at all. its just his performances in his wins/loses are way below what he used to be. he used to be a man that finished multiple guys every year. now he has a year or two between his wins and is really just bailing out dana.

a contender for the title??? rich cant beat anderson, chael, munoz, bisping, vitor, etc.
    test
  10. LungZzZ

One could say Rich can't beat Anderson or Vitor, but I think it is unfair to say he would lose to Mark or Micheal; I would go as far as saying he has earned a spot in the HOF, and he deserves more respect than that, let him fight the fight to find out.

He has made a statement, I want a run at the title before I go out...I think his wish should be granted and a contender like Munoz/Stann/Lombard/Bisbing should be offered next, en-route to getting him back to a title-shot. YES, he may lose along the way, but at-least the man has a goal.

ALSO, I feel your using the "bailing-out" thing a little bit unjustly on Rich, Jay, as him bailing out Dana is actually good for you, me and the UFC. Franklin is trying to say when an injury occurs, were talking CARD implicating, game changing, main event injuries, he will be there to save the day...How can you turn that into a bad thing :p?

I will be the first to say realistically, the odds look stacked against Ace, with loosing the most probable option...But that doesn't mean we won't see a resurgence of a mans career at 185 for 1 more crack at the belt.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.