Rhythm and Bullshit?: The Slow Decline of R&B (LONG ARTICLE)

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Hpnotiq, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq KISS MY ASS BITCHES

Yeah, I'm nostalgic: When Mary J. Blige first uttered the opening lines to "You Remind Me," it was about making sure that hip-hop remembered that R&B came from the same streets where crackheads roamed and the same tenement vestibules where drama went down on the regular. But as I listen to Mario's "Let Me Love You" for the 727th time, it is perhaps easy to suggest that R&B has lost its Soul, or that Clear Channel, Radio One (luv ya, Cathy!), AOL-Time Warner and Viacom -- a neo-plantation cabal if ever there was one -- ripped its heart out. Hip-hop may have sold out, but at least it has sold out on its own terms. R&B, on the other hand, has sold out on somebody else's, on a pop-chart paper chase. Truth be told, U(r)sher was nothing more than a soon-past-his-peak R&B singer before John Smith laced him with some crunk junk; Ray J could have sang the hook on "Yeah" and topped the pop charts. And now, 10 million units later, we want to act like Mr. Raymond is the second coming of Michael Jackson? I ain't willing to grant him the second coming of Bobby Brown. And it is not like we even knew Mr. Legend (in his own mind) and Ms. Queen of Crunk n' B were in the room, until some hip-hop act sanctioned their presence. But what ails contemporary R&B is not just a matter of the commercial success of John Legend -- and Amerie and Ciara and Mario. The current state of R&B comes not from a sudden decline, but a process more than 30 years in the making.

read more here
    test
  2. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I agree to a point, but I think Usher had already laid the groundwork for breaking out the way he did. Ray J probably could've scored #1 Gold as Raymond did, but he certainly wouldn't have sold as many albums. Usher did have a solid album behind that mega-hit... Give him some credit.
    test
  3. Blankk Page

Blankk Page New Member

That's true. But in the end, all this detailed and laid out explanations will not change anything. Most of the people mentioned worked hard, even though saying Usher could be on micheal jackson's level is a little too rushed. I mean, if they think it's lost it's soul, thats weird, because some of the artist mentioned are new, and they trying to bring the popular stuff to the table for now, until they get adjusted with themselves to bring everything. i wish people give respect where it's due and get over it, it's the new era of r&b, if they don't feel that it's in it's place, change it. recruit some artists..this is really ridiculous that people have to waste time.
    test
  4. X sample

X sample New Member

fuck you are a sad sad bitch hypnotiq....still on ushers nuts....damnnn

fuck outta here and go get your present in the other thread..

rnb is still beautiful...dont listen to the club tracks if you're not into em...with people like anthony hamilton and john legend having great commercial success this article is fuckin redundant...
    test
  5. X sample

X sample New Member

and its hilarious when 2 of ushers biggest hits off his last album where slow love (or lost love) songs...he didnt even intend to have Yeah on his album...

all u pessimistic haters need to stop reaching and enjoy the great music...
    test
  6. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

like they didn't have dance tracks 30 years ago.....
    like Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Quincy Jones, and babyface wasn't an old school Lil Jon, Missy, Timbaland, Neptunes type thing

ever heard disco....a bunch of trendy dance songs
    But I bet in the eighties nearly every notable singer had a disco esque song on their album

niccas acting like fucking lames...if you don't like it don't listen to it....it's already passed you by...

Soul evolved funk into R&B into neo soul which is evolving now as we speak into a different and new sound Crunk N B if that's what they wanna call it. ( I know I missed some eras!)

It's come a long way since Bill Withers and Sam Cooke and Gladys Knight and 7 or 8 track albums getting released like clockwork around the year.

New artists mentioned above don't even have that many albums...some only one or two albums of course their material isn't gonna measure up to the massive catalogs of those groups and singers who have been out for decades. Decades versus barely two years...of course it isn't gonna measure up.
    test
  7. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

though i read the whole thing, the aim of the article was unclear. he talks about the decline of R&b then, goes on to say that r&b was a genre created by columbia records to appeal to upscale blacks. so if that is in fact the genesis of r&b then it wouldn't ever have been at a peak to decline from...it would always have been "a pop-chart paper chase"

furthermore, lumping john legend in with ciara, amerie and mario is an absolute disgrace

"Looked at within the context of artistic production, the colonial model creates a context where black artistic production is mediated by a commodity culture more interested in "moving product" than cultivating art or developing artists, and then sold back to the masses as "art", in the process stunting creative development. "
    the author needs to look around; you know where else this happened? rock, pop, country, movies, television, painting [thomas kinkade anyone?] this is the effect of capitalism.

lastly, the author closes the article saying that good new r&b will continue to fall on deaf ears [which is a point i agree with...there are regularly threads on this section of RM praising new artists, heck i've made at least 2-3 in the past 6 months myself...and no one cares, they just fall to the bottom with no replies and no views], and then fails to mention who he considers these good new r&b acts to be.
    test
  8. Ixtlan

While there are "change of pace" artists like John Legend and Anthony Hamilton, who interestingly more closely mirror the artists of yesteryear than their more successful counterparts, they don't do as well on the charts or in the stores. And aren't given the same platform for success.

I do think you can get your fix if you're one that digs on artists like Musiq, but you won't find much of that in mainstream circles. And that's sad...
    test
  9. R.U.L.E

R.U.L.E MURDAAAer

Honestly , I liked the Funky 90's shit ALOT better.
    test
  10. TheNotoryousOne

TheNotoryousOne Grown Ass Man

I was disturbed by that too.
    test
  11. Blankk Page

Blankk Page New Member

John legend is great, but if you mix him in with classics, he would've been surpased. People will never get it.
    test
  12. X sample

X sample New Member

^me three...(directed at post above blank page's)

after that the writer had about as much credibility as MJ if he opened a child care centre..
    test
  13. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

i'll agree to an extent, but there were a lot of great artists that were surpassed and overlooked by the all-time greats [george benson, otis redding, bobby womack, etc]
    i think if JL had lived in the 60's/70's era he would've fit right in nicely
    test
  14. TheNotoryousOne

TheNotoryousOne Grown Ass Man

I know what you're trying to say. He's not up there with greats like Luther, Marvin, Stevie, and Barry yet, but he still has no business being lumped into a category with Ciara, Amerie, and Mario. It's a little early to tell right now, but I'm willing to bet that he'll be around longer than they will.
    test
  15. Ixtlan

John Legend has the talent to stick around for a while, but without linkage to a more commercial sound he could quickly lose credibility and become Kenny Lattimore...

A talented artist too young to appeal to Luther Vandross fans with a sound much too mature for fans of Usher and Ciara.
    test
  16. X sample

X sample New Member

^but he had great commercial success?

i think he's found his niche perfectly..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.