resting during workouts...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by thaRooster, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

k i gotta question for yall

when working out is it better to keep going with little to no breaks, or to take breaks

heres an example....when im at the gym i tend to work out quicker than at home. so say im doing chest ill do a say 45min-1hr workout and walk out of there sore and burning up. but like an hour later i wont feel it as much anymore

than at home when im using the bowflex, doin pushups, pullups etc. i tend to take long breaks between workouts. ill do say a chest workout and than take like a 15 min break just watching tv or going on the computer b4 my next set. this way i do alot more sets and reps but at the same time dont get the burn quite as much. this workout will take me like 3 hours with long breaks between, this usually makes me feel sorer in the long run but not at all during the workout.

pretty much my question is whether or not taking longer breaks while working out deprives me of a full experience workout
    test
  2. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

Yeah that 15 minute break stuff is nonsense, you should keep your workout to an intense 45 minutes to an hour.
    test
  3. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

??
    I take like a 2 to5 minute break inbettween sets the latter being more extreme goddamn@15 minutes.
    test
  4. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

lol Feel the burn, time to check Hotmail.
    test
  5. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

wow @ 15 minute break in between SETS hahah thats insane man thats doing absolutely nothing for you

thats why going to the gym > working out at home

you get too distracted like i would

take 30 secs to a minute MAX in between sets

the reason you can do more if you wait 15 minutes is because your almost fully recovered. and you dont want that. yes, you can do more, but anybody can if they space it out like that. you want to get yourself exhausted, not do it and be yawning the whole time like i always did when i worked out at home. its just not the same.

i used to be all about the home work outs. being at the gym was too much pressure and time consuming, but now that i've been going there 3 days a week for 6 months, i cant imagine going back to working at home. theres just so much of a difference.
    test
  6. Snow Turd

Snow Turd New Member

Between sets (as in set # 1 of bench and set # 2 of bench)

Depends on what you're doing.

If you doing basic strength... like 12 10 8 6 reps shit, take about 45-1:00 break between sets

If you doin high weight super strength shit like 5-5-5 take 2 minute break inbetween
    test
  7. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Don't do that because by that time your muscle is already in the recovery process. Once you have warmed up your muscles you will be able to lift heavier weights than if you were cold without the risk of injuries. So by the time those 15 minutes are up youur not warmed anymore.

Try "supersets". It's basically the opposite of what you do, A superset is an technique where you perform two exercises in a row with basically no rest in between. Supersets are excellent for muscular development.

Read here for more info on supersets:
    http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_100/132_fitness_tip.html
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.