Reggae/Dancehall culture in the USA?

Discussion in 'Reggae Bashment' started by L u c y, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

Is there any sort of specific reggae scene in the US? Here in the UK most inner cities have an area usually the 'front line' where there are several reggae/dancehall clubs (usually empty shops illegally occupied & set up with a sound system and bar), this seems to have ensured a healthy level of support.
    How about clubs & radio play in the US?
    Just wondering......
    test
  2. L u c y

alrighty then.......... thats me told. damn
    test
  3. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

The U.S. is turning into a glamor pop threshold at the moment, hip hop culture is not alive hip hop music & business is still moving, but moving more towards the backpacker, college kid, I'm special cause I make art... crowd... the only thing still the same is they all still smoke weed, you have a few artists who do something that's a head nod towards 90's hip hop culture but it's rare.... the radio & the club became insuperable when it came to making your single hot & well if this is how fucked up hip hop is, Reggae is barely sampled these days even... I'm sure there is some sub culture of 20 or 30 people here & there but it's all but dead relatively speaking.
    test
  4. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Closest thing we have is uhh... Sean Paul... & he ain't what you hear poppin out the car windows..
    test
  5. J-Alike

J-Alike WatZ GOOD

i mean i'm from ATL....we got madd Jamaican clubs...but i jus listn to more of the oldies..Garnett silk, Culture...etc
    test
  6. L u c y

A reggae fan yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was starting to think that peeps in the USA hadn't heard of those types of singers. I'm surprised with what you say about the clubs in ATL too - dudes on here show very little interest in reggae as you can see from the lack of posts on here.
    I love most sorts of reggae tbh including the stuff you mention I was brought up that..
    Imma find you something nice on that old school vibe
    test
  7. L u c y

[youtube]q_aMU2DhTeE[/youtube]

for J-Alike ^
    "What a yey bom bom ba ayey, when the 2 sevens clash" Culture dont get no better than this
    test
  8. L u c y

Garnet Silk's version of Skylarking..... a who dat???????????

[youtube]MLNouV5ZKvA[/youtube]
    test
  9. L u c y

nex version braaaaap braaaap
    [youtube]MLNouV5ZKvA[/youtube]

catch that bass
    test
  10. KanKut

KanKut New Member

What alot of people don't understand is that the Sound System scene in Jamaica was a catalyst for the birth of Hip-Hop. This concept was sorted out during the late 50's through a series of individuals who made music their true mission..Clive "Kool Herc" Campbell migrated to The Bronx in 1967, a Jamaican native..The Godfather of Hip Hop!
    test
  11. L u c y

battles similar to the sound clash.... I've always said this. to anyone that is a fan of clash culture its sooo obvious
    I like you already Mr.KanKut lol
    test
  12. KanKut

KanKut New Member

Haha..it's just history..Also, the pre-golden years of Hip Hop definitely added their homage to Dancehall through sampling..jus' ask pioneers like Just-Ice, KRS-1, Special Ed, Chubb Rock, JVC Force, Redhead Kingpin, Grand Puba Maxwell..countless others..Let's not forget the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties, labels like Big Beat, B Massive, Kick Ass, Fresh..even Sony, Def Jam and Atlantic were signing acts such as Shinehead, Red Foxx, Sister Nancy, Shabba Ranks, Tiger, Terror Fabolous, Lt. Stitchie, Dawn Penn, Nadine Sutherland and the most lovely Marcia Griffiths. Remember when Bobby Konders used Hip Hop breaks over the Ragga vocals? Remember The Nubian Crackers? A pure example of "Raggamuffin" excellence is Daddy Freddy & Asher D's "Raggamuffin Hip Hop"..released through Profile Records..the same label which housed Run-DMC's entire career.
    test
  13. quruxley

quruxley SHHHHHET MAN!

its really big in canada

especially here in Toronto...super large population of west indie folks

Caribana Festival happens every year

n i love me some dancehall !!
    test
  14. L u c y

welcome missy..
    test
  15. Anunnaki

Anunnaki New Member

shottas is a film set in miami about yardie gangsters the full film is on youtube
    test
  16. L u c y

thanks for the heads up........ I'll look for that maybe post it too
    test
  17. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Shottas wasnt that good imo....

Out here in Cali its all roots reggae....some people like the more conscious dancehall types but its still the oldies that draw the biggest crowds.....the Wailers, Don Carlos, Eek a Mouse (who lives here in San Diego but is a coke head lol he came on to my girl once lol) etc.....the clubs that play dancehall are very very few and far between I know of 1 place that plays it regular on a sunday and friday but its a tiny spot....the other places that play it are usually clubs full of bloods in the hood....for some reason its the bloods that really get down with the Yardie culture the crips not so much....but them clubs is dangerous as fuck....even more dangerous than a Brixton Blues namean.....Its like me and the homie Gleem would travel UK going to underground werehouse dances and never had no trouble I goto one reggae spot full of bloods and peoples tryna kill us before we even get in the spot lol didnt help I was with some gangstas who had beef there lol

But overall.....like I say people consider Sublime reggae out here in SoCal its all about the beach lifestyle and chilling and smoking weed, they on some hippy/rasta shit but its all superficial in my eyes coz most of the time they dont know what the artist is saying...Sizzla came to town and was chatting to the crowd asking them put up lighters and bun babylon and who's with him etc etc and everyone was silent looking like wtf is he saying??? it pissed me off lol

PEACE
    test
  18. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Were you wearing blue or something?
    test
  19. SiFu

SiFu Burning Down Babylon!

Nah...some yardies was chatting shit before we got in and then these white girls we took with us didnt understand where they were at so when some dudes came to talk to them (testing us) instead of them rejecting the dudes they let them sit with them an shit and from there it was downhill....not to mention the homies was from a different set, not crips they a pimpin set where most of them is the biggest pimps in SD lol it was funny coz they was dissin Magic Don or whatever his name is (dude in all the snoop vids) calloing him a simp an shit coz he mouth kissed a girl in the club hahaha that aint pimpin namean anyway....nothing happened just some words looked wrong so we left promptly and left the bitches out in the cold lol

PEACE
    test
  20. L u c y

Sifu you a fool lmao (in a good way)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.