Reference Books?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Yahunyahti, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Do any of you use reference books for working out? I'd like to start working out after next week but I've never used weights and know nothing about it. I've looked at some books but they all push for mass and seem less concerned with the physical ideal.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

what are you going for? gain mass or lose weight or just get more sculpted?
    test
  3. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Right now I'm 6'1 and weigh 165lbs with 6% body fat.
    Going for 190lbs but I'd like to keep it lean muscle.

I don't like bulk at all. More along the lines of a male gymnast/swimmer's build. Like the pictures below, basically.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    test
  4. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

well how it works is, if you want to gain weight, you bulk and then you tone. so you need to learn mass building first, and then from there just toning which is really easy in my opinion.

if you interested i have some books but also a routine that is guaranteed to gain tons of mass in 3 months. you'll probly only need to do it once (maybe twice) to get up to 190 then from there you just focus on doing obvious shit like low weight/ high reps but i can go into detail later and depending on what you know
    test
  5. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Right

Toning is easy for those of us who have a really high metabolism. It is the gaining weight part that is difficult.

Sounds good. Just post the names of the books (and authors) and I'll order them. If you want to post the routine also, that would be cool. Would help a lot actually. Basically what I know about weight training is that protein after a certain point is like Vitamin C, in a sense. If you take in more Vitamin C than you need, you just piss the rest out, whereas with Protein you shit it out. I'd like to do the research before I actually start lifting. I'm not the type to jump right in and injure myself.
    test
  6. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I'm also not interested in taking supplements of any type. If I can't get it naturally then I don't want it.
    test
  7. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

There's nothing wrong with supplements lol
    test
  8. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Didn't say that there are. Just not my thing. If I'm going to get vitamins, I get them from food, juice, etc. Some people don't have that luxury. Most people these days are constantly on the go or have busy schedules. I work to live, I don't live to work. I spend about 2 hours working each day and the rest of the day I work out (Martial Arts, Running, Swimming, Etc) and enjoy life.

I'm not a fan of vanity results.
    test
  9. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

www.defrancotraining.com
    he has some plans in there that are free and he has an ask joe section. I am currently doing his westside for skinny bastards routine but mainly for functional strength.
    You might check out www.gregavedon.com too. He is along the same lines as the build you are wanting and only about 10 pounds heavier. he posts diet and workout routines. I havent tried any of it other than the general nutrion info, which is working alright for me.

there is also www.t-nation.com
    great resource for articles and what, i used to go there all the time. lots of good info.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.