Recording Vocals: Mono or Stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Show Killa, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Show Killa

Show Killa It's Jay Daniel!

Which is better. I've heard mixed opinion. And if the answer is mono which channel?

And its hard as fuck to mix a track in mono. The vocals only come from one speaker.

Oh well which is better

www.citystarsent.tk
    test
  2. Dreamcore

Dreamcore ..::DC::..

your vocals should still be coming through both speakers regardless of whether they're stereo or not..

remember back in the day when those old school stereos used to come with a mono/stereo button.. when you press the mono button it doesn't cut out one speaker while letting one play... it only removes the stereo atmosphere and plays the music in mono but still over both speakers.

it should be the same while producing your song... your vocals should be coming through both speakers but in mono..

"pan" regulates which speaker L/R dominates in the mix.
    test
  3. BlackWords

BlackWords I manifest...

Record it Stereo and Pan to which ever side you wish.

That's a little misleading because the ACTUAL SIGNAL is mono, but the software
    will RENDER it to both channels.
    test
  4. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

...won't that depend on the software?

If you send a mono signal into a stereo track in CEP - you end up with info in the left channel and silence in the right.
    test
  5. H20

H20 New Member

That's y u setup the recording properties to mono....
    test
  6. Civilian2004

Civilian2004 New Member

i record mono & mix stereo. recording in stereo takes up too much hard drive space.
    test
  7. Jenre

Jenre Little Lizard

Final tracks are always in stereo these days. Since it was invented. A track in mono means everything is in the middle, you cannot pan anything, stereo effects are ruined (e.g. some reverbs) and the whole concept of width and space is destroyed.

I used to record in stereo in Cool Edit Pro just fine, always came out in both channels. I always record mono now though (I know what I'm doing). It's a mono signal, so record it in mono. Simple as.

Basically, mono has one channel for both sides of the stereo. Stereo has a channel each, ie. if you delete a word from the left channel and not the right, it wont play in the left speaker. Vice versa, etc etc. You can add the same effect with a mono recording by just panning.

Problem with recording in stereo is because the signal you're recording isn't stereo your left and right channels may turn out slightly different. It probably wont be that drastic though. Stereo does take up twice as much hard disk space as well.

This is just what I've learnt through experience mind you.
    test
  8. Les W

Les W Was Helped By Point Game

Depends to me on what kind of mic you have...most likely you have a mono mic, with signal on right or maybe left, so recording in stereo unless your software is instantly processing the signal as mono and rendering it as stereo only add noise and increases the work load on your CPU. However if I had a stereo mic I would record in stereo for the opposite reasons.

In other words mono.
    test
  9. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

verses = MONO

choruses = STEREO with a MONO lead (1 take panned hard left, 1 take panned hard right, and 3rd take left in the middle)
    test
  10. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

no you dont record a certain way for choruses god damn

YOU ALWAYS RECORD IN MONO BECAUSE THAT IS HOW MUSIC IS CAPTURED! BY ONE SIGNAL IN FRONT OF THE MIC!
    If it only comes out of one speaker, u fucked up somewhere
    test
  11. Les W

^^^yeah buut what about stereo mics BPINC? [dunno] isn't that in stereo.
    Def agree in rec in mono. My thing is get the signal in there as orginal as possible, no fx or nuttin IMO. Any fx should be added later inc recording.
    test
  12. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

if the mic is stereo (Rode NT4) then yea you can record in mono....obviously, cuz thats like recording with 2 mics in which case you would record in stereo
    test
  13. urban_tactics

sigh...
    i didnt say to record thru one speaker man...NOTICE i said "take"

mono is one speaker ANYWAY...so in REALITY, even if it WAS comin out one speaker, it wont effect anything buddy...u simply pan it back to the middle...or just process the audio as a mono file and VOILA, everything is back to normal...
    test
  14. Les W

you mean stereo right? :)

being a MOD sux
    test
  15. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

mono

goodnight
    test
  16. urban_tactics

actually if u had a stereo mic, it would be nice for a chorus effect...
    test
  17. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

wow soundin all mad, i was referin to Show Killa who said recordin in mono sucks cuz u have to mix your vocals out one speaker which is untrue....
    test
  18. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yes
    and
    only when u fuck up
    test
  19. Jenre

Jenre Little Lizard

that never works very well
    test
  20. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

I think there is a lot of confusion here.

Let's do this FAQ style. BDef....I think you should cut and paste this and start a real FAQ.

Q: What is the difference between Mono and Stereo
    A: I'm using www.m-w.com for definitions. Mono links to "monophonic reproduction - reproduction involving a single transmission path". In normal-speak: You have a single channel. Right Channel = Left Channel. It's doesn't mean "using one speaker"; it means "having a single source of information". Stereophonic - "two (Right and Left) transmission channels to achieve the sound separation of a live hearing". That means your Right Channel can play something different than your Left Channel. Stereo = Right and Left are independent of each other. Pretend you have your mom bitching at you from your left - and you girlfriend bitching @ you from your right.

Q: Why does my mic record in the left channel only?
    Variation - Why do I only have stuff in the top part of the wave...why do I only hear out of the left speaker...etc...
    A: You are recording a mono source into a stereo format. You need to:

Record into a mono format. This varies in every program, but try searching the help file for "Track Properties".

or

Buy a splitter cable and rig your shit into a "wannabe" stereo signal.

Q: When I listen to myself in the mic, I only hear my voice in the left channel!
    A: Assuming a consumer soundcard (like a soundblaster)...

The input port you're using is wired for a stereo signal. Your mic is sending a mono signal (which is usually wired to the left channel of a stereo input). If you really need to hear yourself in both ears, do some ghetto shit with a Y cable.

Q: Which is better - recording in mono format or stereo format?
    A: Since you would be just recording a mono signal into a stereo format...why would it matter? Recording in mono takes less system resources and you can easily convert to stereo if you want to put some stereo effects on your file. I'm not sure why anyone would bother recording (a single person's) vocals in stereo.

Anyone Let's get all of the "same old, same old" questions typed and stick...errr...pinned to the top of this forum.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.