Recording vocals at home with limited equipment

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by BarsOfNarcomaDreams, Nov 17, 2013.

1. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

BarsOfNarcomaDreams Member

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations on improving sound quality of unprofessional home vocal recordings, post here. Basics to basics preferred, intermediate welcomed.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. east1718

east1718 Member

test
  3. BarsOfNarcomaDreams

BarsOfNarcomaDreams Member

Yea there's a definite difference, audibly noticeable even with a condenser and a pop filter. Getting the acoustics right is difficult without much experience.
    test
  4. Scorp28

Scorp28 New Member

If you're recording at home, the best place to track vocals is your closet! Just split ur clothes down the middle and move them aside. Place the mic in the middle between ur clothes and you will get good acoustics for tracking vocals at home.
    test
  5. east1718

east1718 Member

that's whats up. this guy I know used to record in the bathroom
    test
  6. Enders

Enders ...

Personally I've rapped in booths, bathrooms, closets, cars, and living rooms/lofts.

I could now care less about where. I rap in my loft, wide open area, terrible acoustics. Matter of fact, half the battles or dumb tracks i do, I don't even use headphones, I let the speakers play the beat and allow the mic to pick it up.

I now mostly rely on the fact that I've gained significant skill in mixing, and proper projection.

Rap Past The Mic. aim about 6 inches to a foot past the mic when "rapping". Don't look to stop your punch as soon as your knuckles break skin, look to punch past the persons existence. same with mikes. Allow the sphere in a mic to pick up all vibrations by projecting past the mic, instead of barely getting your vocals to the mic and limiting whats being signaled to your recorded track.

I'm too lazy to type considering I have 0 credibility on a new site and i don't enjoy wasting my time.
    test
  7. east1718

east1718 Member

like WHOA!!!
    test
  8. Kdanger

Kdanger The most Dangerous Game

I just have the mic in the closet with egg foam in a U shape in there. It does hae a great deal to do with mixing techniques. But i def dont have the top of the line shiz and i can still get a decent voc track.
    http://soundcloud.com/k-dangerous
    test
  9. east1718

east1718 Member

yeh I heard bout the egg foam thing
    test
  10. antbeatz

antbeatz Member

all you need is a blue snowball mic, a pop filter and a computer... i recorded these vocals in a living room in an open space...

Noelle Randolph x AnTBeatz - Its All Me
    https://soundcloud.com/antbeatz
    test