Recording echo/sound problem, need help.

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Jones Jung, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

So we moved into an apt., and the attic is the only place to record. It's a typical attic, where it's shaped like the roof, if that makes sence. (Shaped like this /\ .)

Well, in between the trusses, I put these white square pads made for reducing sound (they are for washing machines to set on and it reduces the noise).

I was getting some serious hi's it seemed like, clipping easy etc. I thought I fixed that, and something still seemed 'off'. I let someone else who is a non rapper or anything listen, and they said it sounded like I recorded in a bathroom, I am guessing cuz it sounded like it had some echoing. They couldnt really describe it, thats all they could say. I put the mic right on the one pad, and to your ear when your talking live, there is NO echo, but once recorded seems like you can hear little echo. Was wondering if it was because of how the roof was shaped and so close to the mic, or what.

Hopefully someone that knows their shit reads this, cuz Im not really good at explaining things. Any specific questions and I can answer them though.
    test
  2. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

probably flutter echo

best advice I can give you is to stand in your room and clap your hands
    That way you can locate the reflection points of your room and hang treatment where its needed. proper acoustic treatment by the way, not washing machine noise reducers lol
    test
  3. Jones Jung

Jones Jung a.k.a. Oswayo

Lmao the way you said that last part killed me. But honestly that's my only option right now. Thanks for the advice though. Never thought of that
    test
  4. ~G.I~

~G.I~ Mastering Engineer/Mod

lol, you could find decent absorbers such as auralex products that will be just fine for what you need right now.

A step further would be sheets of Rockwool, but seriously, check out Auralex or similar products.
    test
  5. Mr. ROUSH

Mr. ROUSH WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

You're no doubt dealing with room reverb.. you can get a set of 24 foam panels by Auralex for around $100.. Until you can do that and treat your room.. treat it by any means you do have.. the washing machine foam alone is probably not going to do it.. they are designed to decouple the machine from the floor to minimize vibrations from the machine going through the floor.. not to soundproof the noise directly..

You need dead air around the mic.. pillows are a good substitute.. an old matress.. fill the room with anything that might absorb sound.. try to remove anything that is helping to reflect the sound if it doesn't have to be in the room.. see if there is room to build a makeshift booth, completely using all the materials you can find that absorb sound, completely surrounding the mic.. My booth is made from pvc pipe and layers of moving blankets.. it's not ideal, but as bad as my room is, it makes a pretty drastic difference.

Treating the room by any means possible is an essential step in having good quality recordings.. You'll never have "That Sound" in your vocals if you don't start with a good source recording. Only so much you can do to fix a bad recording.. while all great recordings start with a good source. Half the battle.
    test
  6. topdollamusic

topdollamusic New Member

tgo be honest the echos gon be there until u get as boothe the rest of its on how u mix now i can mix for a small lil fee and have u sounding professional
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.