Reality & Truth

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Yahunyahti, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

It wasn't because publisher's rejected it?
    test
  2. http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~rawlins/

It's in progres and he's apparently giving it out for free.

HEY D-RELL

THE AUTHOR IS A BLACK GUY

Thats right, pound back some fresh African semen.
    test
  3. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

[funny]

I don't know how you and Soultan get along.
    test
  4. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I'm reading the book right now. As I read along I noticed an odd connection to a biblical story. Now, remembering that all stories (even Biblical stories) have their origins in some original (underdeveloped though it may be) perception, and that they were transmitted through oral tradition (probably over camp fires at night), this is very interesting:

And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
    And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
    And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
    And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
    But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
    And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
    If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
    And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

On the surface it seems like just another silly story told by ancient people. However, knowing that the word Cain means Spear and Abel means Breath the story of Cain killing Abel means that the Spear took the Breath. Is that all that can be learned from the story? Well, it depends on who studies it. Cain was said to work the field and Abel killed animals for food. Cain (the field worker) killed Abel (the animal hunter) because God favored his offering (of course this part is nonsense, unless of course God was associated with nature).

Here we have a story of Farmers and Hunter-Gatherers going to war and Farmers killed the Hunter-Gatherers. Isn't that exactly what happened according to Archeologists?

And what of the Creation story? How does it begin?

Bereshit (Genesis)
    1 IN THE beginning G-d created the heaven and the earth.
    2 Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.
    3 And G-d said: 'Let there be light' And there was light.
    4 And G-d saw the light, that it was good; and G-d divided the light from the darkness.

This, considering the period of time that it came from, is a pretty amazing achievement. Of course in today's world it seems like a really ignorant belief, but considering that at that time human beings were limited to how much they could perceive, this was fairly accurate:

"Now the earth was unformed and void and darkness was over the face of the deep. And God said, "Let there be light!' and there was light."

What do we now know about our Universe? We know that a big bang occurred. We do not know how it occurred, we just know that it did. We know that the remnant of the Big Bang can be observed by one reason and one reason alone . . . the light that it created still exists and all things can be traced backward to it.
    So it began with an explosion of light. Before that explosion of light there was darkness and void and nothing had form (as far as we know).

Pretty goddamn good guess for an ancient people.
    test
  5. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Wow, I read on for a while and then started skimming. This guy is a horrible writer. "And, And, And, And, Example, Example, Example, Example"

I changed my mind about reading this.
    Skipped to the end and the conclusion wouldn't be worth it.

Just make the damn statement and move on.
    test
  6. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Are you serious dued?
    test
  7. Let the Bible ramble on in ambiguity and allow those who still believe in it to fill in the gaps. Leave details to other crafts. It is a fine balance.

I'm not vouching for the man's writing abilities. People hate Frank Herbert's wooden, complex, hard-to-relate style of writing, but he is still respected the world over.

This is basically a really simple and detailed primer on how to review Materialist history without Marxist morality. That's all.
    test
  8. x - calli

x - calli Guest

ghet, would you say that shoulders of giants/technologys nest is the posthumanist bible?

ive given props to it already.. its a great study of reality.

if it gets published ill definitely buy a copy.

maybe eventually people will become energy forms in order to live in the universe and advance further. still, people hold on to traditions and habits (like the roman alphabet on this keyboard). im sure the transformation will take some time, as in generations, and it will be dictated by things like being cool, or making more money.

id definitely like an improved and nondeteriorating version of my human form.. maybe my body can be like a second life avatar, with my mind and soul somewhere secure from an errant bullet or asteroid.

humans have always been very adaptable though. maybe we can stay somewhat traditionally human, without having to fully terraform everything?
    or branch out into different species depending on which planets we go to?
    who knows
    test
  9. I try not to hold any utopian ideals or expectations.

When technology changes too quickly, people in power get very paranoid.

Everywhere we go, without Posthumanist technology, we will be forced to drag our infrastructure behind us. Slowing us down with it's bulk.

This book is but a mere fraction of Posthumanism. It is a primer at best. The true bible of Posthumanist technology will be the encyclopedia massive amounts of scripting required to get AI to surpass us.

The human form is but an extension of the infrastructure that it requires. A temporary form that even if we do not change, the universe will do it for us. I am not entirely sure what an all energy form is... I don't like to go into anthropomorphic tribal declarations on the topic.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.