Reality & Truth

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Yahunyahti, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Is reality and truth objective or subjective?

If some forms of reality and truth are subjective and others are objective, which are which and why?
    test
  2. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

The fact the earth is a sphere is objective.
    The fact that God exists is subjective.

Got the difference?
    test
  3. Reality speaks to us via information.

And information is processed to the best of our material facilities ability to reflect what reality is. The process is very anthropomorphic, even through technological augmentation. Our brains create a map of reality based on real things.

But remember, the map is not the territory!
    test
  4. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

What makes the earth being a sphere objective?
    What makes God subjective?

In your terms.

[funny]
    test
  5. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

How would you define information?

What would you say is the territory?
    test
  6. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Are you really asking this question or do you not know the difference between objective and subjective? [funny]

I'll answer it, But I just can't contemplate you don't understand the difference. Sounds like your joking to me.
    test
  7. d-rell

d-rell New Member

Many of my writings and studies are centered around reality and truth.

But you're asking the wrong question. The question should be what is reality and truth? You have to define it before you determine its standing.
    test
  8. d-rell

d-rell New Member

^^
    blah, blah, blah

Just say you believe its subjective.
    Simplicity and conciseness have developed into a skill and a lost art in modern society.
    test
  9. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Menaz, if you are incapable of answering the questions, then leave the thread.
    I'm not doing this back and forth shit with you anymore.

There are two main ways to structure a discussion:
    1. Make statements (which doesn't work because the other people on here just make statements back and it winds up being just two people talking "at" each other)
    2. The Socratic method.
    test
  10. Sodium

Sodium I Get Computers Putin'

this doesnt mean that the map is inaccurate. the map could be an accurate interpretation of reality -- these two things arent exclusive.
    test
  11. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I'm asking the questions in the order that I want to ask them. I'm not Pilate.
    But, thanks for your concern. Would you like to answer the original post?
    test
  12. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Side Note: I absolutely love this clip. This Haggard guy is a real creep, and his eyes completely bug me out, but the look on Dawkins face is so telling. He's looking at this guy like, "What the fuck!?" and that look is combined with "I'd like to strangle this freak of human nature!" all the while containing elements of "This guy scares the shit out of me!"

hahah

So many emotions in Dawkins face, in reaction to this weirdo:
    [youtube]PMHB4_tSOf0[/youtube]

I like the way Dawkins responds to people, but this guy is psychologically sonning Dawkins here (even though Haggard is wrong on so many levels).
    test
  13. d-rell

d-rell New Member

If you'd take some pills for your pms, you'd probably realize that I already have.
    test
  14. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I apologize I wasn't aware that this was an answer:

"Many of my writings and studies are centered around reality and truth."

And perhaps I'm being silly, but telling me that I'm asking the wrong question isn't really an answer either.
    test
  15. d-rell.. I see details fail you as always. This post may or many not be a waste of time for your primitive mind. Don't sit here and pick a PMS battle with me. Read up on a guy named Alfred Korzybski.

It isn't subjective as in "I'M SUBJECTIVE! I HAVE RIGHTS!! WAAAH!"

It's "It's partially subjective, and here's why. By observing laws of subjectiveness, you accidently create absolute perception."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map/territory_relation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Semantics
    test
  16. In this case, they are exclusive YET related.

The human sensory system isn't even physically capable of taking in all information of it's immediate environs.

Bekenstein Boundaries, my friend. They destroy a lot of preconceieved notions about human-based subjective perception.
    test
  17. KingMenace

KingMenace YOU MAD.

You have to understand how the mind operates before you can answer the questions.

The mind is basically a calculating machine. It gathers evidence, and then weighs one thing against another in order to determine value.

Both reality and truth have no benchmarks to the mind itself, because it will always be based on the evidence it has within it's grasp. Reality is what you make it. Truth is whatever you believe at that moment.

In order to know absolute truth and absolute reality, you have to move beyond the mind altogther. The mind itself cannot contain it.
    test
  18. Sodium

you dont need to see everything from a god's eye view to be correct about what you see from a limited "human sensory system" view. the only thing about seeing reality in slices and not as a whole is that you can never know if what you see is the true (or more appropriately, full) version of reality. but this is just an uncertainty not an automatic cause to believe youre flat out wrong.

just because one doesnt know everything is not a cause to think that one doesnt at least know some things. this is necessarily true.

and ghet stop saying things and then not following up with some kind of explanation. you do this all the time. you make a strong claim and then say something catchy and then make quick a escape like a ninja.

example:

test
  19. Sodium

kingmenace respond to the point i just made
    test
  20. d-rell

d-rell New Member

You know it's kind of hard to deliver a factual answer to a variable question...

Its much easier if you have a definitive point or some point of reference.

But I guess I'll try later...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.