read this - studio projects c1

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Milo, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

i highly agree with you on this subject.

im tired of always upgrading... im probably gonna save up and just buy a neumann u87 off ebay or something. Then cop a Universal Audio M610 mic preamp, and a motu828 mk2, or digi002r... I already have my "industry standard" monitors...why not bust it all out...

im just tired of feeling like i gotta go buy something else to make shit better... i want a sound that i am satisfied with. I'm an engineer as well as a producer, and emcee... so i DO CARE about sound. I'm not just a artist who goes and spits in a booth and moves on. I'm a Audiophile who is in search of esoteric sonic quality.

holla.
    test
  2. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

yea its cool im just saying people waste too much $$$$ for their home setups and shit

the superlux and omni is just smoething I use personally, for my needs

the studio is professional, acoustically treated rooms (vocal booth + control room), I got everything I need to produce, I produce mainly hip hop but other shit too.... the shit's practically like www.smashtbenz.com

one
    test
  3. Syntax_Mastery

ahhh

PRODUCE

thats a different thing alll together... you should of said something... i was under the assumption you were recording clients with that setup..
    test
  4. Syntax_Mastery

that studio you posted...

they dont let you bring your own beats....

WACK AS SHIT
    test
  5. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

no sir. i record my music with that setup mainly, i have a rode nt2 + focusrite voicemaster pro as well for , like you said, clients... producing is not just making beats if that's what you think I mean when I said PRODUCE....to me, producing is the whole making of a song, making an instrumental + recording and putting it all together, PRODUCING music you knwo what i mean... like im not trying to say i know everything, I probably know less than you about some technical shit, you do your thing, im just saying what i do.

the main thing i want to say is that some people just get too carried away with quality of sound (especially at home, thats just a waste of $$$ if you get a $3000 setup for your bedroom you are a fool)... ofcourse I care how it sounds but I mean, do people who listen to the music to entertain themselves really care did I record a song with a Rode NT2 or a superlux... there isnt THAT much of a difference to a 'naked ear'.... that's the main thing i would like to say :)

one
    test
  6. Syntax_Mastery

word, but thats were me and you are different...

i record music at commercial level quality because if you play a commecial quality track back to back with a project studio track...the naked ear will be full clothed, and definetly notice something is wrong with the second track...

plus mixing my music at that level, it prepares me for when i have to show and prove in front of engineers in my area... i used to have a rode nt2, but it made my voice (which is low-mid 'ish) sound muffled as hell, i choose not to present myself as an emcee with ANYTHING subpar or average...

thats just how i feel
    test
  7. Syntax_Mastery

i can listen to the radio and tell u who is a local artist and who is not...

it bugs the shit out of me to have something on the radio thats not going with the flow...for any reason...

I'm a perfectionist. I must have that "sound".
    test
  8. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

^^that's where you are different than 90% of the people who listen to the radio :)

but good for you man, it's nice you're hardcore about what you wanna do

all the best to the engineers :)
    test
  9. Milo

Milo Guest

no, i'll have to back up tax on this issue. by the way - cop the PCI motu joint -- less latency than the 828 which is firewire.

as for dystinkt, you really need to realize that syntax is not alone when he wants that top quality sound. you're immeditately hindering your own career if you're not really caring about sound that much. when you listen to the radio, and go to clubs, you can realize who really has THAT sound and who doesn't.

the studio you work in looks like a decent home studio in a nice space. also, what do you RUN in it? my initial question? also, not being able to bring your own beats, paying 50/50 royalties with the engineer is straight up weak. seriously.

bottem line, dogg, i guess you just havn't dealt with this enough to think sound doesn't matter. why do you think that the labels are sending artists to multi-million dollar studios? it's because there is a specific qouta for sound quality, and you will NOT reach it at your pace.

peace.
    test
  10. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

^^i can back you up in most things you said there I support you, sound does really matter, but tell me this, how many cats from rapmusic.com and just project studios in general are going to get on MTV, get constant rotation on HOT 97, and get major distribution overseas and whatnot with the shit they recorded in a project studio? What I am trying to say, for like the 5th time, people are just too carried away with the sound quality that they get out of their home setup and they are constantly trying to upgrade (where you are trying to help, and that's cool, you know your shit), but then the true meaning of them having a studio is forgotten.... project studios are to record your shit at a good quality of sound but even better quality of music and get that shit out there to try to get some place with it.... and if you do then you won't record your huge hits in the project studio, your label will take care of that (if you're ill, you're gonna get taken care of).... and your meaning of having that studio is fulfilled.... at least that's my plan.... till then whatever's got good quality (I can say with confidence that an OMNI with Delta 44 and a superlux (even better RodeNT2)) is more than enough man... I take back what I said about professional studio my bad, to be precise its an above average project studio (and I really put alot of effort and $ into making it happen), I got my producer to do the acoustics and it is professionaly treated I can say but bla bla bla i can go on.... and the smashtbenz.com is not it :)

so like I said, it's all about music dog

one love
    test
  11. Milo

Milo Guest

i fully understand that the majority of people here won't get on the radio at this point. however, i'm telling them to aim for the best, so they enable themselves too. they can't take a weak ass recording to the labels/stations, considering there are so many unsigned cats paying for studio time.. being serious.
    test
  12. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

yes sir! :) I support you for real... I say omni delta 44 rodent2 is more than enough dog, it doesnt sound like garbage, it sounds better than 90% of project studios out there and it's good enough to get on a radio with a proper mix... about a C1 tho I was actually gonna get it eventuallly...I know a cat (DJ Nato) that owns a C1 with a digi 001 and his shit sounds nice .... (peep www.soundclick.com/slice - Demised and Despised, it was dropped at his crib)...ofcourse youre not gonna produce quality shit on computer mics... i just dropped my opinion of what best works for me

keep doing your thing
    one
    test
  13. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

p.s. when I say getting on radio I don't mean your local radio station, thats easy dog, I'm talking HOT 97 and shit.. truly how many peeps can pull that shit off of their bedroom setup?? if peeps were really really really serious about getting out there they wouldnt come to rapmusic.com and ask whats the best mic to get and shit like that, even tho that's a start) and rapmusic.com is a good source, alot of knowledgeable cats like yourself answer good questions, thats how i started, but shits gotta get off the net at some point and most of these cats spit to kill time.. and the sad shit is they worry about quality of sound and just constantly put $$ into their bedroom studios, but the truth is the quality is getting very good but they spit some wack shit.......... look at Point Game for an example, the dude had the same setup for a long ass time, and it sounds very good so he doesnt worry about it, he's doing his thing and I can listen to his tracks cuz he puts time into MUSIC
    thats my last :) :) im outta here yo you do your thing

ONE
    test
  14. Milo

Milo Guest

I disagree on the Point.Game thing, (i've listened to him since he was Shotty Full Clip)

his quality isn't that good. it sounds like he has some decent equiptment, yet his material is in desperate need of mixing. badly.

as for "getting off the net," yeah, of course people do. they need to go out and experiment and do this first hand -- you can "hear," about multitudes of things, yet unless you try 'em, it's kinda' useless. unless you've tried enough and know how to break down specs. (for example, i told my friend to cop the AT3035 instead of the AT4043 based on vocal range alone -- he records a lot of people.)

the C1 sounds a bit airish to me, it's too crisp/harsh in my opinion. compare it to a Rode NTK, and you'll hear a drastik difference, considering the warmth and full sound of an NTK can only be mixed into a C1.
    test
  15. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

I agree with what milo/syntax say about quality of sound (I too am a perfectionist when it comes to this area, and Im in the process of upgrading my setup to get pro studio quality)..... but, I think you need to take the context of the indvivdual before recomending that they spend thousands on their set up.... to be honest, some cats actual tracks are weak in the first lpace (& they prolly only treat it as a hobby anyway, so it doesnt really matter), to a cat that clearly doesnt have the skill/talent of a pro, I wouldt recommend them to get pro studio equipment (I would recommend them a shure sm58 mic, behringer mixer & audiophile soundcard to get some good sounds from). On the other hand, for a catt that is clearly serious about their music & wants to learn about engineering techniques etc etc & clearly has high level of talent & is being let down by low quality, then I'd suggest going for the higher end equipment (if they didnt have cheap access to a local studio).

Another thing to remember is that not all rappers are aspiring studio engineers & having thousands of dollars worth of equipment doesnt garuantee that they will have a realy great sounding track if they are clueless about how to mix & also use the equipment to its full potential (& also have the appropriate monitoring to ensure they are actually hearing the sound properly)
    test
  16. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ true.

but assuming they're willing to put time/effort/money into this, and they're not insane, they'll have a good idea about mixing.
    test
  17. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

then recommend them some shit for a budget and let them work with that shit, if you always switch equipment and think that its all in the equipment on its own then you will never learn to mix properly
    test
  18. Syntax_Mastery

dystinkt...

im not being a dick or nothing, but if a cat who's slightly better than you puts in a demo at the same label you did... but he recorded in a pro studio... he's getting the deal. Cuz it shows he INVESTS in his music... AND focuses on his music quality... they do look for that quality...its a part of them taking you serious as an artist.
    test
  19. Syntax_Mastery

the monitors i juss bought i've been mixing on for almost a year in a local studio i work at... i got a pair for my room at home... im about to get my room soundproofed... its true..you HAVE to know how your equipment sounds... reference checks resolve that problem though.

and it IS true that alot of people think a dope mic and soundcard will make them stars... when they forget the REST of the shit in the chain.

and yea... only invest as much money as i've invested if your aspiring to BE...or ARE a engineer... take time to learn the sound of your gear.... if this is a hobby...do not go spend 2400 dollars on a hartley monitor pair... thinking you'll be famous afterwards...lmao...
    test
  20. WHYMSICKAL

WHYMSICKAL New Member

Syntax, how does someone start off their career to being an engineer such as yourself?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.