read this - studio projects c1

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Milo, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milo

Milo Guest

i spoke to allan hyatt, the CEO of Studio Projects just as this mic was coming out, and just before i bought one myself. i earlier returned a rode NT1, mainly because i thought it was ugly. (yes, i'm shallow, and i don't care.)

other than gassing his product completely, he made comparisons to the nuemann u87. now, let me set this straight. not a single one of you, considering i highly doubt you're working in real studio enviorments with acoustically treated rooms, high quality processors and good moniters, will be able to mix the C1 onto the level of the u87. like i've said before, when you've learned enough to master mixing with the C1, upgrade, then have even better quality.

basically, for you (and myself,), the studioprojects/nuemann comparison is a myth. yeah, it's decently similar, except look what you're dealing with. in the audio game, you get what you pay for. no ifs, ands, or buts.

first thing i noticed with my c1 is that it was insanely crisp. then i got used to it, and realized that it was a little bit harsh. my friend who works in a studio agreed with me on this, as he was checking a track i did. it goes through a joemeek mq3 preamp, which i'm on the verge of selling.

i went through the motions on the preamp, and with the mic -- adjusted the eq and compression settings, the pads, the gain, whatever. what i'm realizing, is that if you're looking for a nice solid warm sound, you're not going to get it from this mic unless you process the hell out of your vocals. personally, the mic sounds thin and harsh. by no means is it a bad mic, it's just not as good as the hype.

i don't really feel like typing up a review, considering i'm tired and (obviously) have not a single ounce of structure capability with this. so shoot your questions on the mic here, and i'll answer them.

all in all, i'm seeing budgets which don't go over 1000$ here. that's embarressing. look, i don't want to shatter anyone, and i'm sure people will disagree, but it's the simple truth. you will NOT get "studio," quality with a 100$ MXL (which should be avoided, honestly.) mics, and 70$ preamps, with a decent soundcard. maybe if you replaced the soundcard for that new motu joint, yeah. maybe. my advice, is that instead of spending little bits of money when you have it, just save up for better equiptment. i made the same mistake myself. i have over 2500$ worth of equiptment in my "studio," heh, but i'm contemplating selling everything but the MPC and just getting new stuff.
    test
  2. Bionic

Bionic but ya'll call me Philthy

Well so far my "studio", I beleive, is worth a bit over $1,000

M-Box: $500
    BX5 Monitors: $300
    Audio Techinca Headphones $125
    Shure SM58 $100 (rounding?)
    Shure SM57 $100 (rounding?)
    Creative Inspire 6.1 Surround Sound $100
    Soundbooth $450
    Cables $150
    Boom Stand + Windscreen
    ----------
    $1,825 (+- a bit)

Ok a bit more than I thought... fuck, way more than I thought...

Iight now for my last purchase.. the microphone-
    Options are:

Used AKGC3000 for $180 (friend had for a year)
    New Studio Projects C1 $200
    New Rode NT1A $200

Help me!!!!
    test
  3. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

... but how does it compare with other mics in the same price range? (i've never used one myself)
    test
  4. Xpurt n1

Xpurt n1 Guest

Did u make that sound proof booth or u buy it from someone else bionic?
    test
  5. Milo

Milo Guest

get the AKG. has a much warmer sound. and ditch the M-Box.
    test
  6. Process 2003

Process 2003 Change the World

ok milo... im in the same boat as u... i got the c-1 studio projects... what can i do to make to sound smoother... cuz im stuck with this mic for another year or so...
    test
  7. Bionic

I just copped the M-Box, so no I won't ditch it... but really go with the year used AKG C3000 over a new RodeNT1A or SP C1?

Xpurt... I built the Soundbooth myself.... shit ended up costing so much because its got 2 layers of the sound absorption, I have a window installed, and we got a shit load of 2x4s we didn't need. ;)

Its got excellent quality inside though, as far as my ear can hear.
    test
  8. Milo

Milo Guest

used means NOTHING. in fact, try to only cop used gear. it'll still work, and cost you less.

as for smoother, what kind of voice do you have?
    test
  9. Bionic

Well.. its kind of cooky.. I've been told its similar to ToneDeff... its loud, clear, not scratchy at all.. if you have AIM I'll send you a quick sample of me and u can tell me what you think.. It'd be much appreciated bro
    test
  10. MC_CuJo

MC_CuJo Mr. Fat Nutz to YOU!

"all in all, i'm seeing budgets which don't go over 1000$ here. that's embarressing. look, i don't want to shatter anyone, and i'm sure people will disagree, but it's the simple truth. you will NOT get "studio," quality with a 100$ MXL (which should be avoided, honestly.) mics, and 70$ preamps, with a decent soundcard. maybe if you replaced the soundcard for that new motu joint, yeah. maybe. my advice, is that instead of spending little bits of money when you have it, just save up for better equiptment. i made the same mistake myself. i have over 2500$ worth of equiptment in my "studio," heh, but i'm contemplating selling everything but the MPC and just getting new stuff."

What if your a 16 year old who is more than likely not going to get his hands on 2g's until after 4 years of college which will be about 6 years from now...wouldnt it be safe to invest in a 100 $ mic and 100 $ preamp...? it's not like everyone here is shooting for STUDIO QUALITY, mostly people just want shit that they can burn to a CD and it sound good, which can usually be accomplished with a $100 Mic & Preamp...
    test
  11. Milo

Milo Guest

i am 16.
    test
  12. MC_CuJo

MC_CuJo Mr. Fat Nutz to YOU!

well then, back to my question...Obviously your forunite enough to have the doe to pay for that but I know very few 16 year olds around here who can get their hands on 2000 bills (unless they do something illegal)...sounds to me like your putting down buying a 100 $ mic and Preamp period...Like there is no use for anyone to buy them .
    test
  13. Unsigned Hype

Unsigned Hype G-FORCE

for ok sound, you can infact get a $100 mic (shure sm58) and run it through a behringer mixer, coupled with a reasonable soundcard, this will give you good quality.... not pro, but good enough for demo etc (I have actually heard things recorded that sound pretty good with this level of gear, so its a good entry point)
    test
  14. Milo

Milo Guest

of course you can. it's just not worth it to settle for decent when you'll upgrade soon.

and for whoever was talking about the money, i had jobs, worked my ass off.
    test
  15. J-Marr

J-Marr New Member

Milo,

Are you saying that there is a better condenser mic for rap vocals in that $200 price range? I know that it depends on the voice going into the mic. The MC I'm recording has a voice similar to Slick Rick. Is there something better?
    test
  16. Milo

Milo Guest

look for used mics, first of all. next, the studio projects might be a little harsh on the slick type guy. check the AKG C3000.
    test
  17. Bionic

silck type guy.. good way to describe my voice. I should be peepin the AKG today C3000 and get a little protools tutorial.
    test
  18. MC Dystinkt

MC Dystinkt AAAAAAIGHT!

I just got one thing to say. People worry about quality of sound too much, it is good to worry about it to some extent, if it really sounds like shit then fuck it, if it sounds good then it's all in the song, if your song sounds crazy good then people will dig....when peeps listen to music they dont give a shit about quality of sound (and I am talkin about people who listen to music to enjoy it), so I'd say delta 44 with an omni i/o and a C1 would be more than enough. I own a professional studio with acoustically treated rooms, and I mainly use a Superlux CM-H8A mic (its like $120) with an Omni I/O and it sounds great. It's all in music tho.

one
    test
  19. Milo

Milo Guest

^^ curious, what do you run in your studio?

and this is a forum so people can BETTER their sound.
    test
  20. Syntax_Mastery

Syntax_Mastery Emcee/Producer/Engineer

pro studio with a omni and a superlux?

whats your definition of "professional"?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.