Re Up: What's your education background?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

I think he means something akin to the former, considering his graduate work.
    test
  2. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

so what this is rm its not school
    test
  3. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

test
  4. Arch~Nemesiz

Arch~Nemesiz New Member

Finishing my B.S in Business Admin. and minor in english as well... (I see a lot of english major's in here, Woo Hoo)

Looking forward to going on to grad school and getting my M.B.A ..

I've thought about teaching as well but only on the college level, these little kids these dayz are too much for me. lol
    test
  5. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

^haha i hear you on that. college would fit my style better anyway, it seems you have more authority over the material and you can conduct yourself in terms of how you interact w/ the class differently...plus having to play babysitter while dodging spitballs isnt too appealing.

im thinking teach overseas, come back (or stay?), obtain required degree(s) and teach ESL at community college.
    test
  6. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Education is nothing more than imitation these days. All of the original thinkers have died off and all that is left is a bunch of talking m0nkeys parroting the words of other people. Even scientists have hit a dead end and resorted to jacking fiction novel theories on human evolution.

It's pathetic. There is more to education than a piece of paper.
    test
  7. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Yeah, like actually going to school, you stupid muthafucka! [funny]

No seriously, how far along are you?
    test
  8. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Unfinished degree in Mechanical Engineering. Currently on top trumps, doubt I'll ever finish it though.
    test
  9. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

This is my 3rd year (and I'll be wrapping up my Bachelor in Psychology) in May.
    Then next Fall it's off to get that Masters and Ph.D. just so that I don't have to deal with goofy assholes saying that all of this school shit is necessary. If I have a degree and I say it's all bullshit then somehow I'll be taken seriously. If I don't then I won't.

But it's all bullshit. It's bullshit now and it will be bullshit when I have my Ph.D.
    Anybody who can repeat shit back can be a Doctor. Anybody. It doesn't require any actual thought. It's just a process of memorization and repetition. That's all that any of it is.

That's all any job is. I don't give a fuck if you're a Janitor or a Physicist. It's all just a matter of learning how to do the job and then repeating the process over and over and over and over.

Certainly there is more to education than merely memorizing definitions and passing classes? I mean seriously, they're still giving out letter grades. What the fuck is a letter grade? It's the most dehumanizing shit ever thought up. You either know it or you don't. But this competition shit in the West is so over the top that you have to compete with others for GPA's. It's stupid.

The Educational System is complete and utter shit, Soutan.

Albert Einstein, Henry David Thoreau, Aldous Huxley, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Osho and NUMEROUS other people have been saying it for years. And they were ALL professors at one point.
    test
  10. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

You get out of college what you want. If you want to pay to repeat stuff back to the professor for a decent grade, then you can do that. The great thing about the system, is if you want more I have found professors and just about everybody else at my old university were more than willing to facilitate actual learning and creative thinking.
    You can coast and get decent grades, or you can get a decent education, it is not up to the teachers and the school because they get paid the same wage regardless of what you want.
    test
  11. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

the educational system is on a lot of levels designed AGAINST applying individual thoughts and ideas into the studies, meaning our countries are merely raising a bunch of parrots who only repeat certain formulas and thougth patterns designed by someone else- instead of supporting individual talents fro ma yougn age, school kids are being force fed the same old horseshitt patterns and teachings over and over ..there should be staff in schools that observes and talks with kids to find out more about their intrests and talents, and guide them into a certain direction from a young age...
    test
  12. Dark_Sun

Dark_Sun Phantom of the Forums

Bachelor of Business Administration in Management of Information Systems
    test
  13. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I go to the classes for the credit. I go to the library for knowledge. I'm pretty much paying for a 4.0 GPA and a library card. Read about 5 books a week.

You do not believe that it is the teacher's job to teach, but I do. College is shaped not to educate people entirely, but to send them off to careers, to make a use out of them, to make them useful. That serves it's purpose, but there is more to education than merely passing tests.

Universities (as they currently are) destroy people's interests in love for things like poetry, or art, music or philosophy. They destroy your whole idea of how a life should be and they make it more and more a commodity. They have no problem teaching you how to make money, how to earn more, but they don't teach you how to live a meaningful life. Nobody seems to be teaching people how to truly live. Teachers and professors are interested only in their salaries, in moving up in their department and getting a bigger office on a higher floor. That's great, I suppose, for what it is. But, if they are actually concerned with whether you know the information or not then they should allow you to simply test out of every class. But they don't. They don't because they want your money and they can't get your money if you just come in and take the tests, prove you have the knowledge and give you the degree. So far I've learned very little from the classes themselves and I pay attention to every word. Most of the time the professors are just repeating what the books say. Why even listen to them when you can just read the book?
    test
  14. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

The Educational system has never been concerned with intelligence or an authentic education. They are concerned with teaching you a trade. Everybody should be aware of this. The only reason that they have you take all those prerequisites is because it costs money to take all those classes and pay for all of those books. It's a business, nothing more. You trade your time and money for a certificate that gives you the job you want. If you know what job you want to do and you go to college to get that job, then college is wonderful. I'm getting exactly what I want and I'll pay it off with one check when I've finished. It's not a problem for me.

There is nobody in our world today who is teaching people the art of living. Nobody is showing people how to be authentically educated, not in books or the ideas of other people, but how to live and be ever in the present. There is no true joy in a world that has only developed the mechanical side of life, the robotic career side. That's the problem, not so much the universities.

Parents send their children to college expecting their children to come home more intelligent and knowledgeable about the world that they live in, but they just come home the same as they left, with a degree. Often they come home even more confused than when they arrived. It's sad.

Doesn't affect me, but I see it in every face on campus. The students are lost, the professors are lost and most of it is just a bunch of people feeding their own egos and trying to boost their self esteem.

I meet with the philosophy and psychology professors once a week at a coffee shop and we all discuss different subjects, but I don't get anything out of the classes themselves. I read the text books during the first week and then sell them back and basically just sit in the classes for the lectures and take tests.
    test
  15. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

What kinda crappy ass school do you go to, John?

And as for the whole education doesn't make you intelligent thing, who said it did? [dunno]

I mean, it looks like you'd be saying something different had you gone to school and gotten out on time. It's the common sentiment of people who haven't been successful in doing that (yet) that have this attitude that school is some farce of intelligence or what have you.

As for becoming more worldly, for many students (not you or I) college is their first time IN the world OUTSIDE of the realm of their parents, so they do come back more worldly.

You're old. You're starting late. If you've been living under the watchful eye of your parents up until now, you've got bigger problems to deal with, so this doesn't apply to you. I was out of the house for the first time at 14 for school, so idunno. Maybe this doesn't apply to me either, but going away to college means more than classes and tests. It's the first real test of independence at most schools wherein no one holds your hand, you have your own car or bus pass, and you aren't coming home to mommy and daddy for the first time. You pledge a fraternity or something, you find a girlfriend or a spouse or what have you. It's the first real legitimate step you take towards adulthood. If you're still confused at 21, that's on you and not the school.
    test
  16. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

Obviously there is a business side to University life. Even more so the more cuts are made and state schools rely more and more on Student tuition and fees to continue.
    On the other hand, I got over the phase of coming to class and just letting my professors only repeat back the books to me. Just asking questions and debating points was enough to make the experience more worthwhile. It was a rare occassion that a teacher was not interested in a more in depth discussion of the topic. Unfortunately, most students seemed to be satisfied with a review of the book so they would not have to read it. But again, since it is a business, again, you pay for what you want.
    test
  17. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

On a side note, how do you find time to read 5 books a week? I rarely watch tv, spend a little time online each day and work. I cannot find time to finish a book a week most of the time. Back when I was in school I probably did something close to that but I was never getting enough sleep.
    test
  18. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

Nis - We come from very different worlds and see through very different eyes. You come from a wealthy family and you allowed them to carry you throughout your private school and college years (and even into your present life, to some extent). You're trying to connect with those who come from a very different environment, whose only similarity to you is their skin color. I come from a very very wealthy family who made me choose between private school or military school (thinking that I would choose private school). I chose military school and then got myself kicked out on purpose so that I could go to a public school. Then they sent me to three private schools and I kept getting myself intentionally kicked out until they finally gave in and sent me to the school that I wanted to go to. I wanted to see the real system (not the elite system). After high school they wanted me to go to a large University (you know the choices as well as I do). I told them that I wasn't going to college. My father (literally) had a heart attack that night and my mother tried to change my mind. I kept on my own path. I did music, worked somewhere between 40-50 odd jobs from construction to fast food, manager at a grocery store to strip club DJ. I wanted to live in the REAL real world. I did that and decided to do college after getting married. I got married and came to a small mid-west university where I won't be known or treated special.

You and I are not the same. You lived the life that they wanted you to live and now you're trying to figure out how to do what you wanted to do all along. I've never allowed anybody to dictate my path in life. Win or lose, right or wrong, success or failure . . . I'm going to live by my own standards and do what I want, no matter what. Fuck patterns, fuck rules, fuck systems that tell you what the think, who to be and how to live. That kills the very spirit that gives life meaning.
    test
  19. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I'll usually read two books M-F and read the other three over the weekend.
    test
  20. Kotaro

Kotaro Wolf King

2nd year of a 4 year college
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.