Re Up: What's your education background?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum aka Billy Shoreview

We don't do this too often. Ghet has a thread calling some of us the real intellectuals, but who of us has actually been to a 4 year Bachelor's granting institution? Who of us got an AA? MA? MS? PhD? MD? We used to have a few lawyers in here, I think I'm the last one dumb enough to have stuck around.

So what's your academic background?

Also list if you have other academic accomplishments besides a degree: a member of Mensa, a recorded IQ above 130, I know ghet did a 13 month program in sound engineering at Full Sail - shit like that.
    test
  2. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

none. i am a bonafied bum. =)
    test
  3. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

4 year bachelors of arts. Major International Studies and minored in economics. Will be looking at Grad schools as soon as I can move to the DC area.
    test
  4. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Ever thought of the Woodrow Wilson school?
    test
  5. reggie_jax

reggie_jax rapper noyd

bartender's certificate... studied for a whole week 2 get it.
    test
  6. Meh. Academics are neat. I'll eventually go back for Quantum Computers one day.

But it's still a peice of paper. Every engineer I know comes out of college, gets a job in Boeing or for the Military and says "Yep... the piece of paper only helps get your feet in the door. Outside of that, you are learning proprietary, top-secret (government or industrial) technology that they can't even teach in schools legally."

So..... o_o
    test
  7. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

Honestly, yes and no. I do no think they have a part time program. Honestly, full time might be tough because I plan on working as well. It is also in New Jersey and also probably quite competitive to get into.

On the other hand, I know the prospects when leaving there are really good. Advice?
    test
  8. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

what entails International Studies? is it like anthropology but on a more modern time frame? I've always been interested in other cultures. im currently taking liberal arts (undeclared major) at a 2 year community college although depending how things go i may major in english and get a TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language) certificate and teach overseas. it seems like itd be a good way to explore the world yet on a deeper level, as an actual part of the community rather than just a tourist.
    test
  9. Sun Zoo

Sun Zoo Speech is my Hammer

4 year BA, east asian studies (chinese), Brown

with luck, that is. I'm a senior this year.

Also studied Chinese at an intensive program in Harbin, Heilongjiang for a couple months this summer.
    test
  10. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

Not so much anthropology. It is sort of an off shoot of political science. My work dealt with International Relations, history, government institutions and economics mostly. There were a few courses on specific countries or groups of people as well as some cultural classes. At my school I could have had an emphasis in Asia, South and Latin America or Europe. I preferred courses on Africa but the only option for that was to minor in African American Studies, which wasn't exactly what I wanted. So I took a bunch of cross referenced AFAM courses to squeeze in what I was interested in.

Honestly, what sun zoo did sounds a bit like what I did. We had to go overseas and work or go to school for at least a semester.
    test
  11. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

B.S. in molecular biology
    test
  12. Yeah Bud

Yeah Bud New Member

I got a B.A. in seeing through B.S.
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

at least the main posters went to/go to college
    test
  14. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Idunno, just know my sis went there back in the day. Seems like an EXCELLENT launching pad into the industry. As Ghet said, it's a "piece of paper", but if you should happen to be lucky or blessed enough to get a hold of a degree from there, TAKE IT!
    test
  15. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

BS is right...
    test
  16. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

as for me, BA Soc. JD (Law) CA Bar. Bout to go for my Series 7 cert later this year.

I want a PhD in Soc. though. My dream retirement gig would be to teach Sociology at my Alma Mater. I may have to just go back and teach Law there, tho...
    test
  17. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

u mad?
    test
  18. BlackSoultan Ad Infinitum

Dude, you had to use spell checker in order to type B.S...
    test
  19. B. Fury

B. Fury Active Member

Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in mass communication. Currently trying to finish up student teaching and my graduate program: Education Administration.

Thinking about one day become a professor of education, though.
    test
  20. LiveFromThe781

professor of education? meaning to teach general education as in preparing students to teach at elementary school level or do you mean to be an English professor and teach at the collegiate level?

(teaching is something thats on my mind as well so im looking to see where the right pathways may be)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.