Rappers who don't write their own material

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Ignorant, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

How do you feel about them?

If they can flow or spit well, do you still give them credit?

Like would you put them up against other rappers who do write their own shit? As far as being better or worse?

I think Dr. Dre is one of the dopest rappers of all time, but he doesn't write his own material... so I have a hard time putting him on an MC list with other writers/rappers.

And nowadays, it's hard to know who's really all about full self-representation because there are a lot of cats who have secret ghost-writers that you never know about... didn't Skillz release a song where he named names? Jay Z ghostwrote for a lot of people... and so has Black Milk. Nas ghostwrites, but then I heard a rumor that he has had stuff written for him.

How do you feel about this subject? Is it important or not?
    test
  2. DJboutit

DJboutit Well-Known Member

Most artist do not write there music I am fine with that if they also have good delivery. I hate artist like Soulja Boy Rick Ross Gucci Man & Wayne who get someone that writes there songs with the lyrics that and 9 to 12 yr would write GTFO
    test
  3. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

I used to care about that. Not anymore.

I bump some old Puffy even though people ghostwrite for him. He still dope. Rick Ross is cool even though somebody ghostwrites for him. It's still nice.

But they won't be getting props because it's not theirs.

I can jam to it, I can feel it. That's what matters right?
    test
  4. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

Thisssss
    test
  5. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

Lol @ thinking somebody ghostwrites for ross

And its usually producers that get ghostwriters

Like dre puffy etc

That's why they won't be in my top 50

Even tho they got classics
    test
  6. DustyPickup

DustyPickup Member

Honestly, I dislike it when people have their work ghostwritten. Especially the new people.

Guys like Soulja Boy, and Rick Ross (Not new, but defs not oldschool) quite obviously have their style, or 'swag' manufactured for them. So really and truly, when a rapper has his style, lyrics, and his beats manufactured for him, you can tell it's just the record labels trying to get money off a kid who has a good stage presence.
    test
  7. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

Lmaoooooo at u people thinking Ross don't write

Smh Ross just wrote dre verse for 3 kings

U niggas slow
    test
  8. DustyPickup

DustyPickup Member

Just cause you read an article on XXL magazine trying to promote him, doesn't mean it's true.
    test
  9. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

Who u talkin to

I haven't read a rap mag in years

I don't promote ross

His old shit is dope

I don't fuck wit his new shit

Lol @ thinkin he don't write his own

Lmaoooooo
    test
  10. Haze305

Haze305 Flite Team Movement

Most rappers either buy concepts or get shit written for them. Most major artist by their 3 album have ghostwriters.

Sent from my iPhone 4 whilst I smoke some good.
    test
  11. JRtheproducer

JRtheproducer New Member

Truthfully I wish some rappers would hire ghostwriters more often to help them struggle bars that come out of the studio...
    test
  12. RELELEN

RELELEN New Member

I'm fully aware that someone or the ghostwrites for Dre but his delivery >>>>
    test
  13. Baron Mynd

Baron Mynd Swaggersaurus Rex

Purely in reference to the OP; Dre is not one of the best rappers of all time. Not by a long shot.

LOL
    test
  14. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

Love dre chronic albums

But Lmaoooooo @ ppl saying his delivery and flow is good

Dude barely raps

And doesn't write.

Hasn't dropped album in a almost 14 years

The fuck are yall hearing
    test
  15. Baron Mynd

Baron Mynd Swaggersaurus Rex

@THEDONN1 I thought it was just me...

LOL
    test
  16. FreezyCT

FreezyCT Member

writing is only one aspect of it, performing it is another...i personally wouldnt do it - i like to struggle thru lyrics every once and awhile - makes the finished product that much more in my eyes...but im not against it as long as thy give credit where credits due - meaning, dont front like the shits yours when its not
    test
  17. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

at least Dre gets down with whatever he pays for: peep Zoom & Keep Their Heads Ringin, No Diggity for proof.

but i can't respect your word. like, i love Dre's albums... but c'mon bro, Royce Da 5'9" wrote the tribute to your dead brother on 2001? that'd be like me having a stunt double read the eulogy at my mom's funeral and charging for admission.

it's like Puffy getting ppl to write "I'll Be Missing You" in tribute to his dead friend, and then eating off him for the rest of eternity. Puffy will always just be the "This or That" album theme to me: shiny suit syndrome, industry virus. Puffy never sounded good to me, though. when he got on after Biggie with Mase, i thought it was wack.

just think how Wu-Tang Forever, one of the most lyrical albums of all time, got beat out for album of the year by fake, formulaic-ass No Way Out. i despise that "i write checks" line he was always quoted for on Bad Boys 4 Life. it's just not how shit should be... it's pop

can't trust that anybody writes anything these days, really. it's all too acceptable and suspect.

i like collaboration though... i like the cypher. creative circle of peers is what keeps you sharp and innovative. that's something totally different. it's the missing ingredient when rappers are so rich that they're isolated from the world, and all their peers are so busy that nobody can sit down in the studio and chop it up with synergy.
    test
  18. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Every so often, you say some smart shit.... except for the rick ross part lol

I bump Dre and Eazy-E all day, but you wont find them anywhere on any of my top 10 rapper lists.
    test
  19. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

Why don't you like Ross though?

I was bumping Pandemonium the other day. You take yourself very seriously if you can't enjoy some Ross or Wayne's songs.

I'm not saying you like it you love it... but it's fun to bump.
    test
  20. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

i can bump ghosted shit

but i won't give the rapper credit for it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.