Rapper turn Poet (UFO true Hollywood Story)

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by UFO the Phoenix, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

ok so who am I?????????????????

Aight ya'll for those who dont know me my name is Oddie Sloan aka UFO aka Space Angel aka Tha Phoenix

I've been rapping for about 5-6 years...(I first join rapmusic.com in 1999)...I got like 5 albums or so...and after my last one I became bored with rap...I'm sick of the mainstream influence...I became sick of the grimace on strangers faces when I told them I was a rapper...they all had stereotyped me into that bling bling gangster fake stuff they see on TV...thats not what I am...so I tried Gospel rap...made a album for the LORD and he gave me the words to spread out to the people...that went well but now I wanna do something else...I wanna take it to a higher level

Now fresh back from my 40 day and 40 night fast I opened a new door and started to explore the realms of poetry...so here I am testing the waters...I think I was always meant to be a poet I just didnt know it until now

So now I have the rhyming thing down no problem...so now I'm here to grow as a poet in all areas so I can publish my book "40 poems"

I'm here to learn and get better
    I'm here to explore
    I'm here to challenge myself
    I'm here to meet other poets
    I'm here to read and study (not copy but take it)
    I'm here to challenge the reader
    I'm here to experiment on what work and what doesnt

so thats my story whats yours if you dont mind sharing with me so I can know everyones background

Is there any other "RAPPERS TURN POETS" in the intellect zone?

PEACE AND GODBLESS
    test
  2. Poetickz

Poetickz The Humble One

i too, am i rapper turned poet. i was raised with street poets growin up in west philly, then family and i moved to louisville to get away from the violence. i started rappin only about 2 years ago, i havnt necesarrily turned my back to rappin, but i know where you comin from, i was tired of all the bullshit i hear every time i throw on a cd, so its inspired to start a project for my first cd, come out with somethin so original, it would mess with everybody locally...so im comin to the realms to increase my skillz as a poet.
    one
    test
  3. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Interesting, the both of you. No though, I'm strictly a poet lol. All-around artist though, but not a rapper. I'll be back to drop my biography of where and how I found poetry.
    -Peace
    test
  4. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

I have never been a rapper, though I have been known to wreck a mic or two in my days. I am quite versatile, but poetry and writing have always been in my background. Nearly everyone in my family has a writing history, and I am the younest out of the ENTIRE first generation of children in the bloodline. Some of them like to flow, but writing is the essential characteristic that we all share.

I've been writing poetry since around the age of seven. It started when I met Maya Angalou here in Rochester at the George Eastmen House. For the non-native's or Rochester, George Eastmen is the founder and creator of Kodak. Anyhow, I had already shown an interest in writing, but it was mainly stories and stuff, but simply meeting her changed all of that. She told me something that helps her to write, and to this day, it is my key to focusing when I write. She insisted that I focus on an IDEA rather than my THOUGHTS. An Idea, though it may waver and change, can easily be held and captivated. While your thoughts, though a good source of things, come too fast, and too many. Since then, I've been writing...

I have been coming to Rapmusic.com for about 3 years now, but I didn't know there was a poetry forum here until last year, :) That's when I joined and took up my helm and started to post. I've seen many people come and go, and some I don't mind. Yet, this is, well was, a part of my daily online life. Everytime I signed on, I would come to rapmusic to read in the realm and see who posted what and leave what I thought about it. but, lately, with work and more work, lol, I'd be better off just waiting in the wind until a leaf carries me home...

That's a little about me and my poetry...perhaps more later...
    test
  5. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Poetry doesn't pay the bills homey, if you were makin enough money in rap to pay rent and eat ramen then I suggest you stick to that... no one makes money with poetry, unless they're english teachers, and you need an MFA for that even in high schools these days. Stick to rap and write poetry in bathrooms and closets.

Poetry publishing, not only doesn't make much money at all, it's extremely hard to get a reputable publisher to publish your shit... I suggest taking some classes as opposed to solely posting here if you're serious about getting published. There are a couple decent publishing houses in SD that publish poetry now and then...

And you're in oceanside? You should head on down to SD on tuesday nights too, there's a big reading at a place called Claire de Lunes. It's the biggest one this side of OC, usually somewhere between 80-200 people show up to listen, and it's an open mic, with a feature. If you decide to check it some time, let me know, I haven't been going lately because of the coffeeshop poet politics, but I don't mind going once in awhile...

And do they have your cd's at the big hip hop shop in Mission Beach? Or Lou's Records up in Encinitas?
    test
  6. shameful_speech

shameful_speech New Member

Not POET once a rapper I'm more of a wordsmith at one point of time rap was the only thing in my life but through the trials of becoming someone i'm not and not reaching an audience of my peers i decided to just place words in rythmic patterns to get my words across not as in depth in my story as most but that;s my story so all thriving and established poets keep it coming.........
    test
  7. PotHead

PotHead average brilliance

nice to meet ya UFO,

now that I know the story behind you,,, I'll try and peep more of you works.
    test
  8. ~Eloquent

~Eloquent Narcissistic....

when i first started writing,
    i loved to battle...
    it was fun to battle all types of people over the net
    than i started to express my emotions more cuz it felt more natural to me

i can still spit,i like freestyling
    but i also love writing poetry,
    and i feel i connect with that alot more than a rapper.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.