Rap war zone--the return of the best league in rm history

Discussion in 'the Onslaught' started by DethStryque, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DethStryque

DethStryque DethStryque theInvincible

This post was originally made by our hopefully soon-to-be-made -mod Lyrical Priest aka LP, concerning THE RAP WAR ZONE:

--==R.W.Z.==-- RAP WAR ZONE COMING SOON TO THE ONSLAUGHT!!!!!!! sign up now!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RWZ Cypher Battle league

An idea was brought to me by a few posters for a faster paced battle league. Nothing against the RBL, but I decide to make a thread gauging the responses of other posters on this issue. This thread is to ask questions or make suggestions for this league. If it turns out no one likes it, cool. We’ll scrap it and think of something else. The following is what we have so far. Feel free to add things or ask questions.

A) It would be a 3 round format
    - 1 round battle
    - 1 round Open Mic
    - 1 round Topical
    16-48 bars per round. MCs match/agree on bar length.

Suggestions?

B) 10 categories to judge battles.
    - Flow
    - Word play/Name play
    - Rhyme scheme
    - Punches
    - Personals
    - Humor
    - Vocabulary
    - Flips (in 2 round battles)
    - Creativity
    - Structure (legibility)

All 10 categories will not be needed for votes to be valid, but we would prefer the list be copy/pasted for your vote with the poster’s names filled in for each category you think they won. 11 categories may be needed in case there is a tie. The voters may also write an explanation under each category explaining their vote.

Suggestions?

C).Anybody on RM can vote as long as they use the 10 category copy and paste vote guideline. Votes may be challenged if the poster is suspect. Mods will handle the process and reserve the right to overrule a poster’s challenge.

Suggestions?

D).RWZ will run for 8 weeks.
    - 2 week free for all
    - 2 week Quarterfinals
    - 2 week Semifinals
    - 2 week Championship rounds

Suggestions?
    test
  2. DethStryque

I think that we should cut the rounds down to 2 because most guys don't have the bars to spit a 3 rounder reliably in a timely manner. I can do it if IRL stuff in my bizness doesn't interfere.

I think that each round should have a 16 bar minimum and a 48 bar cap.

Riding off of smittyrhythm's idea but with a twist...I would suggest that each round has a different topic such each lyricist has to switch up in the same battle, forcing versatility.

I think we should draw from various kinds of verses...

BATTLE

CYPHER

STORY VERSES/TOPICALS OF ANY KIND

OPEN MIC

So if say me and JDM lock up in a 2 rounder? We could drop 1 round Battle and say the next round is...a Topical or a Cypher.

What's the difference between a Cypher verse and a Open Mic verse?

1. Open Mic verses should be full on songs, complete with hooks and selected beats with a link to em, so we can bust the text bars and see if they fit the selected beat.

2. Cyphers are for pure entertainment and have looser rules. The subject/topic for Cypher Verses are determined by the writers [ unless there are special conditions like a grudge match or The Mod determines the topic because advancement into the semis or a title is on the line ]

3. I think that the finalists should be required to write 3 verses in order to kill the likelihood of a tie.

We must keep The Challenge Feature in The Voting Guideline. Must. It prevents sideways votes by justifiably throwing them out. No d/r, hate, ignant, or just regular plain mistaken votes either. But the flip side of The Vote Challenge is that...if you lose a Vote Challenge? You lose TWO votes, not just one. That keeps challenges down to a minimum, and they'll be used only if the Challenger really knows he/she/they're right.

Challenges can only come on various categories of a vote. They can never encompass Punchlines, Personals, and Rhyme Scheme at the same time [ as these are the main components of any verse ]. However, they can encompass any and all other categories...with the required justification.

That justification should be: state you challenge and the reason for it. Show the bars in question. Show the definition of the category. Explain [ no more than 50 words ] why the vote should be overturned in the specified category or categories.

Voting should be hella quick and simple: copy and paste and put down the MC who won the category. No point spreads needed until The Finals and that's only if a Category Tie breaks out. You should be able to read a verse, copy and paste The Voting Guideline, write down who you think won each category and be done in 5 minutes.

Whatchall think?
    test
  3. DethStryque

I'm signing in now as LP said we can sign up now...so yeah sign me in.
    test
  4. patrown

patrown student for life

yo this all looks good but i write too slow for two leagues right now.
    ill be on this fsho once i start turnin em out faster.
    test
  5. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

no beef, Deth, but how can you say the return of the best league in rm history, when this league has never actually launched? its always been all talk, but never happened.
    test
  6. Brown Jesus

Brown Jesus Menso is for Dummies

:cry:
    test
  7. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

test
  8. DethStryque

Okay good point; the RWZ never officially launched. It does, imho, however, have the best mix of rules and format that RM has ever seen. No beef or diss to or with anyone else; I respect every lyricist and league manager out there...whether I agree with what they do or not. Takes a special person to craft a League and special people to enter a League so...respect to everyone all around.
    test
  9. DethStryque

It's possible to combine The IV TOURNEY with the RWZ. The IV TOURNEY could be a Round 1 of the RWZ and this format in the RWZ could be round 2...requiring 2 verses per battle. Very doable. Ask IV if he's down. But we'd need the RWZ Guideline to prevent d/r, ignorant and/or crew klikk homie and hate votes, allow all different styles of lyricists in and judge them fairly, kill cheating, etc etc
    test
  10. JASON ANTHONY

JASON ANTHONY White Devil

My thread was a lot more colorful and "IN YO FACE" than this one.

Deth, stop talking about the rules so much. You're confusing as hell. Just lay down the rules in a simple format that retards like me can understand and hit people up with the link to your thread. If posters are down, cool. If not, you'll need to restructure.

I know you're trying to find a "true lyricist," but nobody here has the ability to sit still long enough to read 4 different 80 bar battles then vote accordingly… twice. I like the voting system, but cut the bar limit down and stop making shit sound so confusing. Your chasing people away from with your book report responses.

LP, just make a decision and get a fucking sign up going.
    test
  11. lyricalpriest

lulz..ya man i think we needa have a re-write via PM for now.
    test
  12. DethStryque

aight...seems very simple to me but okay we can simplify it further...
    test
  13. patrown

patrown student for life

this entire area is a mystery to me. rwz still going to happen? has this ever happened?
    im in if it goes down.
    test
  14. JASON ANTHONY

It's up to LP.

There's like 3 other leagues happening... I'm sure getting people to sign up has been a challenge.

...and don't even look at me.
    test
  15. Tacky Jones

i honestly dont ever see this taking off. Deths definitely got the passion, but a huge part of successful leagues is being on time and meeting deadlines. look at how the rbl dropped off when Venny wasnt punctual getting new shit up, old shit closed, etc. something Deth seems to not be able to do. not to mention youre not going to get the heads of the leagues that are already around(wait, thats just me) to get on board with something that could hurt their numbers. thats going to be a huge part of getting the admins on board.
    test
  16. DethStryque

These are legit points. The only thing I can say for sure is that i would definitely make it a point to be here if the RWZ jumped off. It's a fantastic idea...imho far and away the best idea of any of the leagues.

I don't see why other league heads would hate on the RWZ; Insane Villain's tourney isn't hurting anyone. The Cyphers and RSTL are thee most invincible leagues out there...the RWZ isn't interested in and couldn't threaten them. The RBL attracts different types of writers than the RWZ does; the RBL is for basically guys who prefer writing 16 bars tops and of a particular style that isn't heavily impacted by all the requirements of lyricism. Most RBL guys would look at the RWZ and be like :"...nahhhh, too much work..." and stick with the RBL. Open Mic? Never a problem with those writers. They don't harm anyone.

The RWZ would appeal to everyone except for the guys who populate the RBL as the RWZ attracts MULTIFACETED LYRICISTS, not short bar battlers. So guys who lost or signed out of the RSTL? They'd be here. Cypher guys would swing through. Open Mic and lyrical battlers would swing through. Maybe some OTBVA guys would swing through. And everyone would be fairly judged using the only uncheatable Guideline onsite.

And the presence of the Guideline would appeal to only certain kinds of people; those people were going to join the RWZ anyway. They're no threat to anybody else's leagues. Neither is the RWZ. Hell, RWZ guys and gals could compete here AND ELSEWHERE AT THE SAME TIME or first RWZ then say RSTL or first RSTL and then RWZ. Like that. Keeps writers busy and cross pollinating.
    test
  17. Tacky Jones

youre probably right about the rbl. but the rstl would definitely lose some heads. the rstl is a lot of work to begin with, between writing a full story, reading everyones verses and voting. ill be the first to admit its a pain in the ass. so it'd be hard to do the rstl and rwz for a head. now, im not going to sit back and let my league, which has been around for nearly a decade, lose people(especially when we arent doing that great to begin with) to you guys, when its basically combining the two leagues we already have.

its not a "its better for the site" thing. the site will get the same views regardless. but running the league i cant sit quietly as we lose writers. which is one of the main reasons im against the RWZ.

IV's tourney doesnt affect anyone because its easier to write a battle verse than a topical verse. it takes less time to vote on battles. all in all, its easier. you can be in two or three battle leagues at once. its hard to do multiple topical leagues.
    test
  18. JASON ANTHONY

test
  19. lyricalpriest

:funny: the truth hurts
    test
  20. DethStryque

Having run THE LYRICAL APOCALYPSE TOURNAMENT back when illbattle was a popular site at the same time other battle leagues were happening, I know from experience that your concerns likely won't be as bad as you initially thought.

But I'll concede the point because I dislike "site politics" which get in the way of doing what we love to do...soak ourselves in rap culture/hiphop.

The site would DEFINITELY get more views and participants as time passed because the many many lyricists who avoid this site like the plague would reconsider and participate to some degree...thus increasing the views. Furthermore, the ganxta and cypher lyricists would have a place to compete on even footing. Hell, there are alotta Chase Murda types waiting to step in to a competition and a site like this. More URL/SMACK type lyricists and KOTD type lyricists would find their way to this kind of tourney.

Here's what I suggest then: amend the RWZ format to include open mic and lyrical firepower, RWZ GUIDE VOTELINE battle joints primarily. The last 4 competitors use MIC MASTER RULES: 1 round battle verse, 48 bars and 1 topical verse. The last 2 competitors--the lyricists in the Finals aka The Championship or whatever--use limited LYRICAL GRANDMASTER RULES: 2 rounds battle, 1 round topical [ actual LGM rules feature unlimited bars in each round ]. This way it can't siphon from RSTL or RBL. It's too battle oriented for most RSTL heads and too lyrical for most RBL heads, and the result will STILL be the crowning of the most talented multifaceted lyricist onsite.

No politics. All lyrical firepower. Nobody loses. The RWZ is born. Should be no issues or problems with the RWZ now.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.