[RANKS] Week 47 Ranks/Predictions/Lounge

Discussion in 'Rapmusic.com Battle League' started by Quriosity, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

not really a good explanation of why you thought it was sick. the format of a text bar, traditionally, is setup/punch. the setup should do just that, setup the punch. thus, it should lead into the punch or reveal the punch or relate to it in some rhyming manner. here, it seems as if the setup is a reiteration of the punch. they're two separate thoughts saying the same thing in different ways, both of which are poorly done. the setup for instance, in the way you explained it, is executed terribly. if you wanted to say that people get into his verses and then fall asleep. first consider why this would be intriguing to a reader. if it isn't, then toss it. sometimes a dope punch is hidden behind how you choose to convey it. so i don't suggest always giving up. you may be able to find a way to reveal it so that it hits that much harder. but if you can't, toss it. secondly, how can i effectively center the punch around this concept. think of how you want to convey the punchline, or the second line. the most effective way to say it. then center the bar around it. as for this line, i liked neither the punch nor the setup conceptually, so i think they should've been tossed. the punch itself is too predictable in material. it's like the plaxico burress lines or the palin lines. also, the execution is poor. the setup is executed poorly as well.
    test
  2. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

there has be a dope way to flip a hit and miss / chris brown rhianna concept.

im sure ill see one in the future. ill just have to work on my techniques on effectively creating punchlines.
    test
  3. David Lama

David Lama oh yea?

na man.. hit and miss lines have been done to death lol. they been done to death the right way. and you aint even doing it right.. so ummm. just let it go.
    test
  4. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

lol

what are you talking about?
    test
  5. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

he's talking about the same thing i'm talking bout. scrap the fucking concepts. you're conceptually wack as fuck. there is not good way to flip that shit. if there were, you'd have to restructure the entire fucking line which really isn't a flip of a hit/miss chris brown/rihanna concept.

you're pushing the issue for no reason. just come up with better stuff.
    test
  6. Oneduh

Oneduh Guest

The one I bolded is the only one I see with potential to be a punch.. somethin like

Them verses can't hold our attention, dog you weak
    They like sleepin bags.. even if we get into it, we'll still eventually fall asleep

Not a great line or anything.. but hopefully it gives you a better idea how to turn your concepts into punches..

The Rihanna shit is something you need to either drop the week it happens or not at all.. but yeah
    test
  7. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

50 lines later.
    test
  8. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

the entire time this was all i was wiating for. ..

thank you OndeDuh!
    i realize that im just over concentrating a lil too much and slippin on grammar
    for the cause of a forced punch.

i like your approach over Q's
    he just called me wack about 98 times. lol
    test
  9. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

eh, all oneduh did was create a new line which is what i said it would take. he didn't do what you asked because what you asked is a stupid request. nobody can finish that punch with or without the use of randy and make it a dope line. its not possible. that's all i was saying.

if you just wanted to see a random punchline, there's about 25 bars in my match.
    test
  10. Oneduh

Oneduh Guest

A big key to getting good at this shit is having someone good to run lines by.. & actually listening to their advice.. Even if they are telling you your shit is wack, like Q was.. Alot of people have problems with wanting to use every single concept that comes to their mind, when alot of it should be thrown away.. You might only need 16 lines for your battle but run 100 lines by the person/people before you have 16 good ones.. I've been champing the rbl since 03 & I still throw away half the shit I write.. Once you get out of the habit of using every line that comes to you, you'll improve.

Also another thing that helped me alot was learning to separate concepts from wording.. Like I used to just write down random concepts for lines that I came up with all week.. Then sit down & word everything the day verses are due.. That way you already have your concepts there & all you have to concentrate on is how you should word them..
    test
  11. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

no i just wanted to see my idea put down into a punchline that works.
    i know i have the train of thought to put down some nice punches. but
    when something simple comes into my mind... like say .. sleep.

lets see how i can make a new punch outta that idea...

your drops are downers, something kids shouldnt mimic,
    his verses put more cats to sleep, than a veterinarian clinic

so... now whut ? i would look at it and see a bad set up.
    and also the possibility of turning the drops are downers into its own punch

opinions ?
    test
  12. Oneduh

Oneduh Guest

Again this is where having someone to run lines by comes into play.. Preferably someone who has been around since 99.. When that concept was fresh
    test
  13. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

yeah i do write down allot of concepts... i think what i may have to do is look into a thesaurus on see what all kinda combinations can come out of them.
    if i cant see anything. other than try to force is. toss it.
    test
  14. Jordan Robinson

Jordan Robinson All Game

lol .. i have no idea what is or isnt fresh than.
    cause i litterally just came up with that.

im guessing it would be either scrap the concept or try thinking of a new way to say the same thing.
    ... but im leaning 90 percent on just scrapping it.
    test
  15. Oneduh

Oneduh Guest

Yeah you wanna scrap that.. Anything having to do with doing something to cats/leaving your dogs _______ mixed with a vet reference has been done alot in the past..
    test
  16. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

all Oneduh's advice is good, same with Q's

what's up with the Q-Kung match? Are you really expecting him to show up and leave a half day of voting for a 100 line match?
    test
  17. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

also to Jordan Robinson

one of the main keys i think, is reading alot of battles. read the top heads, read the votes, eventually you'll be able to notice right away when a concept is fresh or executed well.
    test
  18. john hensley

john hensley 7xRBL

Any breach of line limit must be agreed upon by both competitors prior to a verse being posted. Failure to comply will result in an automatic forfeit by all failing parties.

better edit that shit out hombre
    test
  19. Oneduh

Oneduh Guest

We need the league to speak up on this issue.. I closed the Q vs. Kung battle due to Kung losing via noshow & Q violating the line limit rule.. This is the aim convo that followed.. you people judge

joeKRAQ (4:12:08 PM): are you sick?
    Plepp5 (4:12:31 PM): huh?
    joeKRAQ (4:12:45 PM): are you feeling okay?
    Plepp5 (4:12:47 PM): rules are rules bro im just doing my job..
    joeKRAQ (4:13:03 PM): i hope you're joking.
    joeKRAQ (4:13:13 PM): i don't know whether to laugh or spit truth at you.
    Plepp5 (4:13:17 PM): you wrote the rule yourself..
    Plepp5 (4:13:35 PM): for me to not enforce it on you would reflect badly on the league
    joeKRAQ (4:13:44 PM): don't get me started.
    joeKRAQ (4:13:52 PM): just say you're joking
    joeKRAQ (4:13:59 PM): so i can type my "lol"
    joeKRAQ (4:14:06 PM): and we can move on
    Plepp5 (4:14:22 PM): what are the rules there for if we don't have to follow them?
    joeKRAQ (4:14:51 PM): firstly, if you were going by rules then i had a verse posted before deadline. the 50 line verse wouldn't even be valid so i still win.
    joeKRAQ (4:15:07 PM): secondly, you never requested an extension and neither did your opponent so you'd both lose.
    joeKRAQ (4:15:13 PM): so i'd be the only winner out of us four.
    joeKRAQ (4:15:17 PM): i know the rules well.
    Plepp5 (4:15:17 PM): i didnt see what you had at the deadline..
    Plepp5 (4:15:25 PM): i just saw what i read in the thread just now
    joeKRAQ (4:15:26 PM): its still there
    Plepp5 (4:15:30 PM): & it was a violation of the rules..
    joeKRAQ (4:15:36 PM): haven't seen kung and i haven't had time to finish a verse.

ayo, you suck
    you're a duck
    chicken butt
    what the fuck
    i can't believe
    you didn't show
    you'sa hoe
    yea i know
    tick tock is wack
    that's a fact
    and i'm back
    joeKRAQ (4:15:49 PM): look homie, i don't need you to check behind me
    joeKRAQ (4:15:52 PM): don't close my threads
    joeKRAQ (4:15:55 PM): i know my rules
    joeKRAQ (4:15:59 PM): you know i know my rules
    joeKRAQ (4:16:04 PM): which is why i'm convinced you're joking
    joeKRAQ (4:16:11 PM): or just trying to get a rise out of me
    Plepp5 (4:16:17 PM): i clearly asked myself for an extention & granted it.. i didnt have time to go edit the thread but facts are facts
    Plepp5 (4:16:23 PM): dont try to pull that
    joeKRAQ (4:16:27 PM): no, i edited your thread
    joeKRAQ (4:16:32 PM): i gave you an extension
    Plepp5 (4:16:43 PM): like i said i didnt have time to go edit the thread
    Plepp5 (4:16:47 PM): but i granted my extention
    joeKRAQ (4:16:53 PM): but you never even requested it
    joeKRAQ (4:17:03 PM): lol, i granted it on the strength of i knew you'd post if i did
    Plepp5 (4:17:05 PM): how would you know what i asked myself?
    joeKRAQ (4:17:08 PM): you never asked me or posted in the thread
    Plepp5 (4:17:20 PM): im a mod too i asked myself for an extention
    Plepp5 (4:17:22 PM): & granted it
    joeKRAQ (4:17:23 PM): you don't ask yourself, when i need an extension, i post it the same as every other member
    joeKRAQ (4:17:40 PM): let me stop
    joeKRAQ (4:17:42 PM): you're joking
    joeKRAQ (4:17:43 PM): anyway
    Plepp5 (4:17:46 PM): just take your loss for violating the rule
    Plepp5 (4:17:51 PM): be an example for the league
    Plepp5 (4:17:58 PM): of how to carry yourself when you slip up
    joeKRAQ (4:18:09 PM): lol
    Plepp5 (4:19:02 PM): =)
    Plepp5 (4:19:11 PM): glad we agree
    joeKRAQ (4:19:19 PM): no fag
    joeKRAQ (4:19:23 PM): we don't agree
    joeKRAQ (4:19:37 PM): you're just trying to get under my skin
    Plepp5 (4:19:42 PM): fag/
    joeKRAQ (4:19:49 PM): i've got an armoire to put up
    joeKRAQ (4:19:51 PM): i don't have time for this
    joeKRAQ (4:19:55 PM): don't close the thread again though
    Plepp5 (4:19:56 PM): why you gonna take this to a personal level
    joeKRAQ (4:20:06 PM): kung will hopefully post a verse sometime today
    Plepp5 (4:20:09 PM): this is about the integrity of the league.. not me & you
    Plepp5 (4:20:32 PM): besides i'm just saving you the embarrassment of having to battle me in 2 weeks..
    Plepp5 (4:21:22 PM): imma give you a loss either way.. you want it now on this technicality or in 2 weeks after about 60 lines & 20 aim convos?

What say you, the people?
    test
  20. Quriosity

Quriosity Moderator

i see everyone is intent on checking my moderation abilities. for starters, assuming kung does not show, there are at least 8 lines of a no-show verse that was posted before the original deadline. secondly, kung knows i went a lot so that also complies with the rule being that we chatted on aim about the shit last night and he doesn't care. thirdly, if he did intend to show, i'd most likely extend voting 'til mid-monday which would be easier for me to post matches anyway.

if kung did decide to show and did complain about the 50 all of a sudden, i'd simply eliminate 10 lines. its that simple.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.