[RANKS] Week 2 Ranks and Lounge

Discussion in 'The Rapmusic Storytelling/Topical League' started by Tacky Jones, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

I know, its as though having the better verse doesn't really matter because of technicalities like that.
    Oh well, it's meant to try and motivate people to vote, other wise everyone would drop their verses and bail.
    test
  2. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

understandable but if someone is not voting, they aren't contributing and if no one voted, we wouldn't have a league. Plus, i don't have the time to go through every match up and count the votes for 10+ people. stating the matches you voted in is very simple
    test
  3. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Voting is vital. But also, not voting on a single read is also important. If you have to due to time constraints you have to, it definitely happens. I like to (and encourage others to) read the earlier posted verses as they come during the last part of the week while there's still lots of downtime between work/school/social, or at least a small sliver of it. There's a reason that almost all writing workshops, poetry and others, aren't cold-reads. You have time to read and make sure you understand. Even tedious verses are shorter reads than most flash fictions.

I really like Pent Up's votes, though I may disagree in some places, they're well explained and make good points. More votes like that will help everyone become better writers because it reminds us we're no Keats (dead at 25) nor Stanley Kunitz (dead at 101) because, fuck you poet fuckers, we're our own people in a dramatically different world from the early 1900s. and the early 1900s were a lot more like the 1700s than 1960 is like today. We're still really figuring out the mechanics of a good rstl verse, and where that fits into the world. If it has a place in indie hip hop or in spoken word or if we remain on the internet like self-hating bronies.

Also, if you liked Keats' Ode to a Grecian Urn, check out this poem (Bronzed) by Dean Young. A modern, and fuckin awesome poem which nods in that direction.

I also really like how Shadow and Kuja worked their shit out. :) There's no reason to be a douche in a situation where we're all, ideally, trying to improve our writing skills. And sometimes there're questions or issues about specific points brought up in votes.
    test
  4. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

Oh, also, learn to read a metaphor. I can only write down to the audience so much before the entire exercise is pointless. If I can't write an extended metaphor without spelling it out in neon letters then there is nothing I'll be able to salvage from this place, so why bother?
    test
  5. Pent uP

Pent uP I'd Like to Fight Ten Men

That's the main reason i left this place. The way I wrote, and the voters who would vote with "it doesnt have a twist and BattlerB does, so im going with BattlerB"

the power of the metaphor is/was dead to a good number of people here and that kills me.

also, I left a private msg on your rep for you.
    test
  6. the omega man

the omega man so, it goes

metaphor has become important these past two weeks....but when I participated last year all the voters wanted to see was a fast paced story easily worded

Voters didn't want to think

So now I am so confused cuz I dont know what to do.
    test
  7. nO gOoD!

nO gOoD! Life Music :: Press Play

yeah being a storytelling topical league, there is a fine balance required. sure have the verse riddled with metas, but dont make it too abstract. otherwise it gets slept on.
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  8. Pent uP

Its all about the company you keep
    test
  9. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

I think either work well, IV was an example of a well written, fast paced story fairly easily worded while both me and CK's verses were very layered and needed more attention from the reader...
    test
  10. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

haha, shad gettin antsy. I wasn't even done voting and votings is due monday. i def wouldn't want to win by default especially of my opponent voted but didn't post links .. so good call Kuja. cloose battle man, Hopefully i can take some of these lesson's from this battle and come harder next week
    test
  11. patrown

patrown student for life

gettin on mine. coming out of delirium.
    test
  12. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

I've one more match to vote on.

Can I just not post links?

I really fucking hate doing that.
    test
  13. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

gotta post links. im not going through every battle and counting every vote to make sure everyone did it.
    test
  14. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

just do it my keep
    test
  15. lyricalpriest

you have until monday 9pm to post links. well 8:59 to be tek
    test
  16. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

No love for seniority?

You know I'd just say I didn't vote if I didn't.

Meh whatever.

Rules is rules.
    test
  17. nom is dull.

nom is dull. but shines up pretty.

apologies. boo boo'd my time management.
    test
  18. Pent uP

Seniors should be showing these whippersnappers how its done.
    test
  19. lyricalpriest

check your reps pent.
    test
  20. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I personally don't care if they are links. as long as you say which battles you posted in, i'm happy.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.